ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #166
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Sunday Ride

Crazy John rode 150 miles on his KLR and didn't take long to get a nice spot at the camp site

It was cold sleeping on the bed of the truck, so the next night I slept in my tent. And I made sure there will be no wind strong enough to blow it away in the middle of the night.

Nice GSA and GS Special Edition

9 bikes parked for the Sunday ride. I would like to see if you can really count

Everyone is saddled up, still no Wally!

The FFs are now getting restless, there was a vallium shortage

All it takes is 1 ride with Riceless and these purdy ninefiddy will never be the same

First time I've seen a 2006 GS 1150 Special Edition

Timeless classic bikes. Patagonia Kid and Stu Cazzo

Hassan, Patagonia Kid and Crazy John. Jeff's Rubicon behind them

Our trail leader giving the Katoomers the wrong directions

Frank, Ed, and John

These 3 guys came from Burbank, and put on 150 miles before the ride started

Same with Mike and Tahi, rode the same distance, so they could roost me with their dust

Jeff, driving our support vehicle. Poor guy, he was about to leave the house on his GS and found out one of the tires is leaking. That didn't stop him from joining the pansies.

Hassan had an accident on the way up and badly bruised. Still nothing can stop him to ride with the pansies

Whose that fucker off the designated trail?

Crazy John and his 05 KLR has been in more places than the combined rides from the rest of us

Stu Cazzo on his Busy Bee

Breaktime

I noticed that the coolest jacket is always red! XR red to be exact.

Stu Cazzo, now and then gets a kitchen pass.

We stopped for lunch, meet the Motley Crue

Getting late and tired, I will finish the report and posting pics tomorrow.

zzzzzzzz..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NSFW screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 10:47 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #167
STU CAZZO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
DAM IT, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE WENT SATURDAY!!
STU CAZZO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #168
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Wink Carrizo Adventure Bike "Shoot Out" - Part 1

Thanks Joel for putting together a great day on the Carrizo. I had a good ride and enjoyed spending time with everyone. There should be more days like that.

My ride was nearly epic. Of course I have a lot of those kind of rides, as I tend to ride bikes that are often perceived to be ill suited for the task at hand. (Don't tell everyone, but it is WAY more fun that way. OK, go tell them. They won't believe me anyway. For most people this stuff is serious.)

So for me, this weekend evolved into a classic match up in a

Three Adventure Bike "Shoot Out".

The Contestants:

The Legendary Honda Trail 90 - Arguably Japan's first true adventure bike. A real pioneer in the motorcycling world. With many ground breaking features that to this day are lacking on the current breed of so called "Adventure Bikes". These include: The innovative Dual Range 8 speed transmission. Automatic clutch. Auxillary fuel tank. Ultra-heavy duty luggage rack. High air intake and exhuasts. Low center of gravity. Large parts availability and can be easily serviced in the field. Many believe that the current trend for 17 inch wheels began on this very machine.

Yes, those are street tires.

KTM 950 Adventure - A true giant among Adventure Bikes. This particular example is a Haul Road veteran, on loan from the once and still great, DarrenO. A distant decendant of the Penton 125 Six Days. Thbig KTM is designed for world travel, regardless of conditions. Smooth, nearly limitless horsepower, large fuel capacity, full instrumentation, and windscreen protection from the elements are just a few of the reasons this bike is a top choice for global explorers.

The loud end of the 950

Honda CRF 450X - The dirt side of the "Adventure Bikes". Designed for closed course competition use, with slight modifications, the CRF enters the murky world of "California Legal Dual-Sports" with a little help from the good folks at Baja Designs and, well, some "leg work" on the registration end of things. Bribery aside, this bike is designed to get it done on the dirt. The quick revving four stroke single has already established itself as a formidable competitor on nearly every type of off-road race course world wide. How will it fair against legendary, purpose built, Adventure Bikes? Stay tuned.

Darren and Toni O prep as the 450X waits patiently.

Let the Shoot Out Begin

HONDA TRAIL 90
Friday, April 18 - outside of Maricopa, California

The comparision begins at 8:00 PM friday evening when I leave the south end of the Carrizo for the 12 mile trip "off the hill" to get fuel for the Trail 90. I pass some FF heading in to the monument with a bike in the back of the truck. It's well after sundown and the six-volt headlight light on the Trail 90 illuminates the road every bit as well as a doube A Mag Lite.

ROAD USE LIGHTING - 1

The run down the 7% grade finds me hold off on full throttle to keep the Trail 90 at the legal 55 mph speed. Almost exhilirating. Of course I would never know the speed with out the full moon. The guages lights are softly glowing decorations. Topping off the 1.6 gallon tank and 4 pint auxillary can requires $5.50. Not exactly paper route money anymore. But at somewhere in the vecinty of 100 mpg, it is better than it's competition.

TOP SPEED (downhill) +1
INSTRUMENTS LIGHTING -1
FUEL ECONOMY +1

Now for the first test. The legendary climb back up the Elkhorn Grade. In the dark. I give it some thought as I leave Maricopa. Where lies the greater risk? Run down from behind climbing the highway at 25 mph or lost off some cliff at night, while now one even knows I am gone, let alone out riding the dirt roads? Thhis is Adventure Bike Shoot Out! Up the Elkhorn Grade Road!

The little 90 is better suspended than I recalled as a rattle along the road after the Kitty-Litter turn off. It begins the climb strongly and the lights seem fine at 25 mph. Even loaded down with a Gatorade and Subway sandwich, it climbs with authority in second gear.

Nearing the top I glance back toward the California's Great Central Valley, and see the lights of Bako fouling the night sky, I am reminded of a recent idea of DarrenO's suggesting we ride the Carrizo at night. With that thought in my head, the Trail 90 abruptly dies.

I did think to stick a flashlight in my pocket as I dashed out the door, but no tape, wire, or more importantly fuses. After about 20 minutes I had ripped some wire off and jumped across the fuse and continued along to cross the Elkhorn Hills and head home. A quick fuse holder replacement and the 90 was ready for tomorrow and inside I went to enjoy my beat up Subway sammich.

CLIMBING ABILITY +1
SUSPENSION and HANDLING +1
TRAIL LIGHTING +1
EASE OF FIELD REPAIR +1
SPARE PARTS KIT -1

Saturday, April 19 - Carrizo Plain National Monument

The next leg of the shoot out was nearly the full length of Soda Lake road. It is 40 miles from the MU Ranch at the south end tothe staging area at the California Valley Community Center to the north. The Trail 90 was the weapon of choice. Having pre-ridden most of this section six days earlier with a BMW R75/6 sidecar rig, I expected that the washboard section would be a tough test for the Trail 90. The 6:45 AM start was colder than I prefer at 36 degrees. It is times like this that I am glad to not be in a tent.

The six volt system on the little Honda cannot run one of the most valuable accesory to the motorcycle Adventurer, electric clothing. The Honda handled the washboard just fine as it hauled me to Cal-Val at a 40 mph average. The Valley had patches of fog in the hills, as the sun had not been up long enough to burn it off. I happily waved my numb right hand to Toni and DarrenO as I pulled in.

COLD WEATHER PROTECTION -1
FLAT ROAD SPEED +1
SUSPENSION +1

HONDA Summary

The Honda packs a lot of Adventure in it's small frame. It is very important, if one wishes to get the most enjoyment out of this bike, that one travel alone, as I did, or better yet with other 90s to avoid any basis of direct comparison with the reality of modern motorcycling. Of course a key component in an Adventure is risk and challenge and the Trail 90 delivers that in great quantity. This will be a tough one to match!

FUEL ECONOMY +1
TOP SPEED (downhill) +1
TOP SPEED (level ground) +1
CLIMBING ABILITY +1
SUSPENSION and HANDLING +1
ROAD USE LIGHTING - 1
TRAIL USE LIGHTING +1
INSTRUMENTS LIGHTING -1
COLD WEATHER PROTECTION -1
EASE OF FIELD REPAIR +1
SPARE PARTS KIT -1

Tomorrow.....
The KTM 950 Adventure

more to come....
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #169
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
There's not much left to see any more pansies. The full bloom was 3 weeks ago.
Damn it, Dave.. you weren't supposed to reveal this long kept secret to everyone!

Now, I might as well put her on the map with GPS coordinates.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #170
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,589
Great pictures!!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #171
Crazy John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hi Guys, Here's a few Pics from my arrival on Sat. I was too late getting there and missed the tour. So I wandered around till the group got back to camp.

I wasn't as lucky as the tour group in search for wildlife. All I found where these.

Joel got to fix his truck tire on his return to camp Selby.

The deserted camp.

Camp Selby.

Soda Lake

Beautiful roads.
More later.
Crazy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #172
hasan59
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Thank you

I had a wonderful and blasting time. I wish that i were in a better physical condition. I have brooken rib, but it did not stop me from ridding. I am looking forward to do it again. Thank you all for inviting me.
Hasan
hasan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #173
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Dennis got a dirtbike?!?!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #174
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,720
2 days later and I am still thinking about how much fun a 400 mile day can be...this trip had a little bit of everything...but for those of you who haven't enjoyed the twisties of Hwy 33, you may want to plan a trip....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #175
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
Dennis got a dirtbike?!?!

Yeah

That's like Paul Bunyan without the Ox.

We need an explanation.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #176
Crazy John
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
What a great weekend, enjoyed meeting and riding with everyone. Thanks again for the invite Joel.

Billy, here's my track from sunday. http://www.mediafire.com/?mawmgwmjzdy The link works but take about a minute for download window to open.

Pics from Sundays ride.

The ninjas are ready to do battle with the roads of Carrizo.

And the ride gets started.

Our event coordinator h8chains

Everyone knows hes full of shit and here's the evidence.

Joel moving on down the road.

Riders milling about.

Crazy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #177
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
Damn it, Dave.. you weren't supposed to reveal this long kept secret to everyone!

Now, I might as well put her on the map with GPS coordinates.
This is a great report all by it self, but thank's for quoting that, Walt

Some great pictures here guys, looks like you had fun!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #178
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Pissed More Pics

After lunch, the guys are now hungry for more challenging trails. So we headed to Elkhorn Grade.

Crazy John made it look easy and was able to fool the rest of the guys to follow. Not only it's steep but long. Check out the bikes below. Of course, I'm the first to made it to the top.

Then came Stu Cazzo. He's a pretty good rider on his KTM 640 but the GS is much heavier bike.

StuCazzo managed to keep it upright and made it to the top.

The other side of that hill is this, and Nowwhat is trying to mimic Travis Pastrana

Followed by Tahi

I have a feeling that these guys are cooking up something that's no good

And this is what I saw

I'm pretty sure this was perpetuated by a Ninja so I approached it with caution!

To you all ungreatful Mutherf....ers take this

OK, I forgive them this time, especially, it's hard to find FFs to ride with a noobie, so even how rotten they are, I still like them.

Our leader Wally found another nice trail and better yet an easy one!

At this point, the guys started to talk about the ride home. Still a good 4 hours to many of them, and best if they get home with some daylight left so they can continue doing the laundry that they promised their wives that they will finish when they get home.

This ride is not about having a great weekend, but something to remember and shared with fellow FFs.

Not just a ride but a meeting of fun loving FFs that bonds fellow riders and often ends up to a true and longer friendship.

Thanks to all of you!

And for those who wants to come but couldn't, there will be a next one.

Cheers

Joel
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #179
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Talking Carrizo Adventure Bike "Shoot Out" - Part 2

The ride continues.....
The KTM 950 Adventure

The remaining competitors. KTM 950 and Honda CRF450X (and ToniO and Paul)

While the venerable Trail 90 was used for a night time fuel and Subway sammich run up the Elkhorn Grade Road, its primary task on the Carrizo weekend was as a transit vehicle from my home on the south end to a rendevous at Cal-Val with the Os (Toni and Darren O). While Soda Lake is a scenic, yet sometimes uncomfortable leg, on a dry day it is not expected to test the mettle of a true adventure bike like the KTM 950 Adventure.

My ride of the big KTM (on loan from DarrenO) began at the north end of Soda Lake Road, outside of the monument, at the Califonia Valley Community Center. After a short 55 mph run down Soda Lake road to the Selby Camp turn, I had learned that this bike had a very smooth motor that should return excellent performance if asked to perform high speed road work. 6th gear was to tall for the sub 60 mph speeds.

A few cracks of the throttle revealed a lot on tap above the sedate 3000 to 5000 rpms that had been need to make the ten mile trip south (in 5th). Running up the camp road showed me how easily it would take to reduce the level of tread in the center of the rear tire. I was also reminded that it was a very tall, wide, and heavy motorbike as I slithered around a loose right hander.

Camp Time
Bob and Darren get acquainted.

The Cold Coastal air intrudes.

The Saturday Crew nearly ready.

After our departure from Selby we went north to Soda Lake/Simmler/San Diego Creek Road. (There a many of these. It is believed that the county did not know which road was which anymore, as bad weather had rerouted them so many times, and gave them all of the names to all of them.) Cutting west across this dirt road on the south end of the lake, I had a chance to stretch the legs of the KTM slightly. Yes, this is an impressive motor. And the chasis seems solid too. I had quite a wait for the rest of the crew at Elkhorn.

MOTOR SMOOTHNESS WHILE CRUISING +1
MOTOR PERFORMANCE AT SPEED +1
STRAIGHT LINE STABILITY +1
SIZE AND WEIGHT -1

OK, Just a few miles and I know this would not be my "bike of choice" to head back home to Michigan and run this through the trees, mud, and sand of the JackPine Enduro. But the Haul Road? The likes of nearby 58, or even freeways? Giddy-Up! This is could make a very good road bike.

I am stoked as we approach the Climb over the Temblors at Crocker Springs Road. The last stretch of Elkhorn had some curves and rollers that the KTM took to with no effort at all and again, I spent my time squinting into the mirrors for some dust from behind. You do not have to push this bike to go very fast. In fact, I expect it would take a true "World Guy" or a least a good level national class rider to find the limits of this chasis and motor with some weight removed.

It made me wonder what it would be like to ride and XR750. Probably not as civilized as this bike. My mind takes me back to when Paul and I watched Joe Kopp put a version of this bike on the grid for the finals at the Del Mar Mile in its first outing. With the stock frame.

CORNERING +1
TRACTABILITY +1
WEIGHT -1

Temblor Ridge
Bob

Joel

This guy appeared from a cloud of dust that nearly blew by the gate. He said he had to stop and pee, but I suspect he wanted some room to blast up the hill. I sure got a kick out of looking down and watch him flying to the top on the CRF. He can ride with some real intensity.

The Line UP

The ride changed tenor slightly when Toni discovered a coolant leak from the cam tower of her KTM400. Darren was justifibly concerned, and the rest of us were no help. My advice is to run it and keep filling it up, but all my bikes are wrecks, so Darren knows better than to listen to me.

Down we go to Fellows. The KTM idles along and leaves the gang well behind. I test the limits of taction a bit, but am not sure of myself enough to push the front end. The road is smoother, but looser than my last run down it on the Ninja 250, a bike I know well enough to find some of its limits. Just putting along on the KTM gets me to the bottom far too quickly. That fun is over.

Wally closes in as the KTM hits the pavement and we ride into the oil fields.

SERIOUS DIRT ROAD BIKE +1
BIG AND HEAVY -1

Paul arrives next on the 640 Adventure. He and Wally will make a run to the Penny Bar to meet a friend and will join us at La Salsa in Taft for lunch. After the others arrive and Darren inspects Toni's fluid leak (from her bike), they decide to take it to his sisters and save it for another day.

Well, I will enjoy the Fellows Road any way. This short roller coaster ride is a favorite of mine with it's turns and huge dips. The KTM handles the patchy pavement flawlessly. Even with the 21 inch front tire it felt agile and once you had banked it into a line, nothing would disrupt it. You knew it hit the pot hole or pavement patch but the bike neither squirmed, hopped, or altered its course.

I thought of a few thousand miles I spent on a Ducati 900ss. This KTM was every bit as rock solid, yet again, more civilized. We roll into Taft.

PAVEMENT CARVING +1

At La Salsa, as we gather up, I learn of Darren's plan. They have left Toni's bike at a freind's and he and Toni will ride up 58 to the their truck in Cal-Val on the big KTM, to retrun tomorrow, and retrieve the 400ex (Damn! I'd like to ride the KTM up 58.) but I was to continue on the ride with the Honda CRF450X. All is not lost.

LA SALSA LUNCH +1 (Thanks Joel!)

Paul also chooses to "fight again another day" when he hears some gremlins rattling around in his 640s top end. The rest of us soldier on as the best is yet to come.

KTM 950 Adventure Summary

MOTOR SMOOTHNESS WHILE CRUISING +1
MOTOR PERFORMANCE AT SPEED +1
STRAIGHT LINE STABILITY +1
SIZE AND WEIGHT -1
CORNERING +1
TRACTABILITY +1
WEIGHT -1
SERIOUS DIRT ROAD BIKE +1
BIG AND HEAVY -1
PAVEMENT CARVING +1

Yep. This 950 is the real deal. When the marketing devils came up with the category "Adventure Bike", this is what they expected you to cough up the big bucks for. If you can't travel to some far away place on this bike, then maybe it's your lack of, well, no need for me to insult anyone. Yet, I had lunch at the Artic Caribou Inn with four, retired, elderly women that had ridden three days on a tour bus just to get there, for Fs sake! Using the bathroom on that bus, bouncing along 140 miles north of Coldfoot, now that must have been an Adventure.

And the whole Gi-normous thing? I keep can't get past the weight of this bike. Imagine if you were alone and it fell over on you. (That's called foreshadowing for you non-literary types.) There you are along side the Haul Road, looking like my 4 year old cousin Bruce back in 1970 trapped under his Mini-Trail 50. Now, think about those old ladies in the bus pulling up. It gets ...well...pathetic. I supposed that is better than a bear.

Hmmmm, the KTM is very hard to beat in the Adventure category, yet the size problem?

On to the "real" dirt bike and Elkhorn Grade.

The Honda CRF450X - Part 3
more to come....
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #180
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
right on dennis - good to see that you wont be beating the shit out of any more unsuspecting streetbikes...

AND its looks like you're going to get a pretty damm good turnout come September!

Making people fall in love with the Plain, you are.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote