ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #181
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
2...but for those of you who haven't enjoyed the twisties of Hwy 33, you may want to plan a trip....
HW33 is one of my favorite, long, winding, desolate, and in the most part is in good shape. We normally start with a breakfast in Ojai and head north, either take Lockwood Valley Road to get back, or keep on going and take the Cerro Noroeste/Mil Potrero.

http://www.mulhollandraceway.org/MHR.../noroeste.html

On the way home last Sunday I took Cerro Noroeste, which is just a few miles south of Carrizo Soda Lake Rd. I was alone most of the time until several GS came up from the opposite direction. Once you get near Mil Potrero, you will see the canyons lined up with expensive homes and smell the pine trees.

Anyone who's into dual sports, HW33, Lockwood Valley, Carrizo Plain, Cerro Noroeste, Mil Potrero, , Mt. Pinos, Frazier Park, it's a good 500 miles of the best winding highway in socal.

Unfortunately, all of these roads are in high country and they are closed during winter or too cold to ride.

I will be intereted to join anyone who wants to do this ride.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #182
STU CAZZO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Thumb Thanks H8 Chains

Thanks Joel For The Nice Report!!! The Time Put Into It Is Appreciated. It's Nice To Flash Back On The Pics And Naration. Well Done Brother!!
STU CAZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #183
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Thanks Dennis

You are an excellent teacher. For those that don't know him, this is what you are missing.

Dennis, I would ride with you anywhere. Next time I hope to share one with you.

Bob

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #184
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112

Dennis, I would ride with you anywhere. Next time I hope to share one with you.

Bob
Thanks for the kind words Bob. Ever been to Inuvik?
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #185
ddennis669
Adventurer

Wicked Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
Damn it, Dave.. you weren't supposed to reveal this long kept secret to everyone!

Now, I might as well put her on the map with GPS coordinates.
I keep telling my wife, that she is going to get fired if she keeps going to work without her BLM uniform.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #186
cammyontheback
ADV'ers

Oddometer: 537
Carrizzo ROCKS!

Mrs. Cammyontheback and myself made it to Carrizo Plain, but not until Sunday evening.
Missed all your fun, but had a bunch of our own.
I on my DR650
Her on her DR200.
Stayed until Wednesday midday.
Pics to follow asap
Mark
cammyontheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #187
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Anyone who's into dual sports, HW33, Lockwood Valley, Carrizo Plain, Cerro Noroeste, Mil Potrero, , Mt. Pinos, Frazier Park, it's a good 500 miles of the best winding highway in socal.

I will be intereted to join anyone who wants to do this ride.[/quote]

If anyone is interested in hitting it up

I know a few really cool DS loops that cover some of the above mentioned areas/roads.

I try to do a really long, one-day ride with approximately 50% time-wise off pavement. Most of the non-pavement is more challenging than Carizo. Sometimes these rides become overnighters

intentionally or not.

Gas stations are few and far between. But there's fun around every corner

Wally
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #188
ddennis669
Adventurer

Talking Carrizo Adventure Bike "Shoot Out" - Part 3

First I must defend myself against the harassment of Mr. Eatpasta (if that is really his name) for my lack of a "proper" dirtbike.

Dear Mr. Pasta Eater,

I have in fact, owned and ridden a great many dirt bikes in my time. As evidence, I present the photo below, taken on a Sunday in the spring of '86, riding my 510 Husky four stroke around the Pontiac Silverdome. I think you were probably like 3 years old that year?

(BTW, I crashed and broke some ribs shortly after this photo was taken. I wasn't very good at that stuff. )

Name:  Pontiac86.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  138.2 KB

On to the final leg of our ride and the last bike in our shoot-out.

The Honda CRF450X - Part 3

This particular example of my pursuit to find the ultimate Carrizo Adventure Bike, is as the 950, from the ever elvolving stable of DarrenO. Darren has taken your garden variety CRF450X from 2005 and, I can only assume, bribed the appropriate state and county officials, to obtain street registration. (Another example of that "never say die attitude", that makes this country great!)

The last leg of our ride took us from La Salsa in Taft (La Salsa is attached to Topper's motel. If you are playing the home version of our game, for bonus points name the movie that included footage shot a Topper's. Double points if you can sing the song, that was sung by one of the leads in one of those scenes. You must post the mp3 to win.)

When we left Taft we immediately made the first left turn out of town onto the "Old Maricopa Highway" currently known as Petroleum Club Road. A much twisty and bumper stretch of pavement than the "New maricopa Highway". I had already discovered that the 450 was 1) Tall, 2) Stiff, and 3)Abrupt. It should be perfect for the rougher ride up Elkhorn.

Wally on the old road to Maricopa.

Bob follows.

The CRF proved to be suprisingly smooth as we moved down the old roadway, but even with Darrens higher gearing, it was clear that it would have a limited top speed. The seat was quite high, narrow, and harsh for touring bike, but I suspect it will serve me better in due time.

We stopped for a brief history lecture at the site of the Lakeview Gusher.

CRF450X Road Performance

TOP SPEED +1/-1
COMFORT -1
ENGINE SMOOTHNESS +1
CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY -1

To The Dirt!
After carefully passing for through the world renowned speed-trap called Maricopa, we exited CA-166/33 at the Elkhorn Grade Road. Now the 450 would be happy! The first part of this is known locally as the Kitty Litter Road and is a nice set of curves over a hill before we reach the gravel, straights toward the Carrizo. The road dips down through three sets s-curves as it crosses a large drainage, and these are great for diving in deep and powering out hard. The stutter bumps on the entrances and exits were a good test of the Trail 90's suspension last night, and they are for the CRF. Hmmm.... seems to take this a little quicker than I recall on the 90. I wonder how the 950 KTM would fair with its smooth tires on the loose surface?

The climb is an utter breeze on this thing, as the motor proves to be VERY tractable. At the top, I pause to speak to Wally. I am only one for two on the last little top of this climb with my 250 Ninja and it is much more torn up and powdery than last fall. My advice to Wally, is to watch my progress to determine whether that hill, or the road around, is the best route for his 1200. The 450 walks up it like a trials bike. The motor has more versatility than I expected.

DIRT ROAD PERFORMANCE

POWER +1
WEIGHT and HANDLING +1
SUSPENSION +1/-1

Joel crests the top.

The route takes us over the Elkhorn Hills to a short blast on Soda Lake Road and the quick turn on to the Pipeline Road. More rolling hills as we move through the "back country" of the National Monument. The 450 powerplant continues to impress, like the KTM, with its civility. The lack of flywheel creates some abruptness in the delivery, as one opens and closes the throttle, but the power being made is very linear up to maybe 5000 rpms where the slope of that line steepens. The seat hasn't gotten any softer, or wider and I find myself sliding back looking for some comfort. I find little. At the speeds we are cruising I am below the range of intend usefulness of the suspension, but not the motor.

The Elkhorn Crossing and Wally is The Man!
The 450 Honda makes short work of the Crossover road and as I slide down through a few loose turns I quickly remebr that Wally is trying to wrestle the 1200 through this powder. I look back to see him attempt to slow to controlable speeds fro the loose dips and I wonder if he shut his ABS off. No. But he made it and earns even more respect form the rest of us for his bike handling skills.

The middle section of Elkhorn Road becomes more enjoyable on the 450 as it the number of hills and the curves increase. The power and steadiness of the chasis make it a quick run to tyhe Hurricane/Crocker Springs junction.
Smilin' WallyOur Carrizo Ride Host Joel

Bob building up the miles.

To Selby and then home.
The ride back to Selby was too short and soon I had to bid farewell to my new friends and riding colleagues. Off down Soda Lake I went on the 450. It handled it all with ease and as I averaged a sedate 50 mph.

Honda CRF450X Summary

TOP SPEED +1/-1
USEABLE POWER +1
ENGINE SMOOTHNESS +1
WEIGHT and HANDLING +1
SUSPENSION +1/-1
COMFORT -1
CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY -1

This one suprised me. I had some preconceived notions about how this bike might feel, having had a broad range of experience with off-road competitons machines. The big suprises on the plus side were the smoothness of the power delivery and lack of vibration, and on the down side, was the stiffness of the suspension for Adventure Bike use.

THE WINNER IS
If this were a national motorcycle publication it would be time for the "They are all winners" cop-out. Not on ADVriders. Of course I already knew the strengths and limitation of the Trail 90. The KTM was my predicted champion but the Honda CRF450X proved to be the best Adventure Bike for the Carrizo. I do not know if you could legally duplicate one though. The licensing things is not what it once was.

I made it clear to the other riders that I believe a blend of them all would make the best choice. The simplicity, low cost, and cargo carrying capcity of the Trail 90. The smoothness of the KTM twin. The lightwieght and useable power of the aluminum framed 450.

Stayed tuned. We will see what comes out of Darren's garage by next year.

Lastly, thank you Joel, and everyone else, even those I did not get the good fortune to meet, that came out and enjoyed riding in the Carrizo. While this is my home and I am very fortunate to have such a beautiful area to ride Dual Sports, it is all of ours to share and enjoy. We must be reponsible and diligent in our protection of our public space, AND make positive efforts to protect our right to ride to enjoy it on motorcycles. I hope we can enjoy many, many, more Carrizo Camping Weekends together.

ddennis669 screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 03:58 PM
Old 04-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #189
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
First I must defend myself against the harassment of Mr. Eatpasta (if that is really his name) for my lack of a "proper" dirtbike.

Dear Mr. Pasta Eater,

I have in fact, owned and ridden a great many dirt bikes in my time. As evidence, I present the photo below, taken on a Sunday in the spring of '86, riding my 510 Husky four stroke around the Pontiac Silverdome. I think you were probably like 3 years old that year?

*TSK* NO! I wasnt THREE..... I was eight....

I NEVER doubted you ability to ride, sir, I was merely stating the obvious!

Nobody that has ridden with you on the plain has ever doubted your riding.

Looking forward to another "Dennis Loop" !

it migut be awhile, but Ill see ya out there.

oh and welcome to ADV Rider

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #190
cammyontheback
ADV'ers

Oddometer: 537
The Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyontheback
Mrs. Cammyontheback and myself made it to Carrizo Plain, but not until Sunday evening.
I on my DR650
Her on her DR200.
Pics to follow asap
Mark

Sunday 4/20 - Wednesday 4/23/08

cammyontheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #191
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyontheback
I on my DR650
Her on her DR200.
Pics to follow asap
Mark
I saw you guys, before 5PM Sunday, driving in with 2 yellow bikes, while I was leaving. Mine was a white Chevy truck and a XR400 on the bed.

Glad you guys had a good trip and thanks for the beautiful pics, which some of them I never had the chance to see.

We'll see you on the next camping trip. Also, try if you can do the ride with Dennis leading, because the ride becomes educational as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #192
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

[quote=eatpasta

Looking forward to another "Dennis Loop" !
[/quote]

Dennis is going to spank you by taking you to some gnarly trails! or he's going to slow down the pace that you will be bored for hours!

Really AJ, we missed you! The only excuse we'll take from you next time is if it's your wedding.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #193
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Dennis is going to spank you by taking you to some gnarly trails! or he's going to slow down the pace that you will be bored for hours!

Really AJ, we missed you! The only excuse we'll take from you next time is if it's your wedding.

Hey, SOMEone's gotta bring up the rear! if Artboy isnt around, it might as well be me, right?

....and my wedding isnt till next July. I WISH I could have a row of GS'es at the reception, but I dont think thats going to happen.

ooooh oooooh, maybe we can have a brunch that you guys can come to!! I gotta talk to the woman about that....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #194
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
I keep telling my wife, that she is going to get fired if she keeps going to work without her BLM uniform.

Dennis, you just added Carrizo to everyone's trip planning. But of course, we'll charge them for the GPS coordinates .

Walt, let's plan the HW33, Lockwood, Cerro Noroeste, etc. loop and make it a 2 day ride. Meet in Ojai sometime in May or June.

Joel
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #195
ddennis669
Adventurer

Cool2 Two Day Route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Dennis, you just added Carrizo to everyone's trip planning. But of course, we'll charge them for the GPS coordinates .

Walt, let's plan the HW33, Lockwood, Cerro Noroeste, etc. loop and make it a 2 day ride. Meet in Ojai sometime in May or June.

Joel
I could do a weekday by June 8. A lot less traffic then.

This should be is a decent two day ride. Google wouldn't route on Pozo Road, or the back way to Lake Lopez, but we would! And Wally should know some better stuff over the hills near Lake Cachuma.
When's the last time you've been to the Pozo Saloon or the Cold Springs Tavern?

Google Map Link
Name:  TwoDayRoute.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  136.7 KB