ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #196
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,374
The next trip

If you guys set this up for a week day I may have to develop eye trouble. I can't see going to work.

Dennis I have never heard of Inuvik. Did I just tell the world of my N00bness.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #197
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
I could do a weekday by June 8. A lot less traffic then.

This should be is a decent two day ride. Google wouldn't route on Pozo Road, or the back way to Lake Lopez, but we would! And Wally should know some better stuff over the hills near Lake Cachuma.
When's the last time you've been to the Pozo Saloon or the Cold Springs Tavern?

Google Map Link
Attachment 163911
Dennis - you are missing a GREAT bit - from 150 hit up 192 west and connect that to 154.... WAY better than the 33 south of Ojai and no slab!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #198
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,711
I work on weekdays and might be able to take a Friday and surely the Saturday.

I would like to leave an extra day (Sunday) as a buffer to recuperate, and if ever we have some issues during the ride, we have that day available to take care of it.

Just my thoughts, but Dennis I like your route. Pasta, can you add yours to Dennis' so we can see it?
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #199
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Laugh 154-150-192

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
Dennis - you are missing a GREAT bit - from 150 hit up 192 west and connect that to 154.... WAY better than the 33 south of Ojai and no slab!

I had you covered. Just needed to Zoom-In

Friday-Saturday might work for me after June 4. Plus there is Memorial Weekend to consider.

Bob.. Inuvik is WAY up north in the NorthWest Territories. Darren and I have been beating the idea around.

Name:  SouthEnd.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  75.1 KB

ddennis669 screwed with this post 04-25-2008 at 10:28 AM
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #200
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,374
Inuvik

Dennis,

PM sent.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #201
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,791
Quote:

Friday-Saturday might work for me after June 4. Plus there is Memorial Weekend to consider.

Bob.. Inuvik is WAY up north in the NorthWest Territories. Darren and I have been beating the idea around.

Attachment 163964
Quote:

Attachment 163964
I cant tell you ANYthing....

I grew up in SB, so the 192 was like my personal racetrack - my folks still live off of 192.

oh HEY, I CAN tell you something.

192 is closed just past the 144.... but the 144 is closed as well. SO, you have to go up Conejo, to Las Alteras, to Mission ridge and back to the 192.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #202
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,428
how much of this ride will be dirt...?.....trying to figure out what rear tire to run....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #203
ddennis669
Adventurer

Laugh Yes you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I cant tell you ANYthing....
Yes Help me figure out how to put a some more dirt in this route. What do you know about the roads behind Lake Cachuma? Anything drop off Camino Cielo behind there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat
how much of this ride will be dirt...?.....trying to figure out what rear tire to run....

Good point.

A better option might be after sneaking into Arroyo Grande, head south through old Nipomo, ride a little of 101 to Betteravia Road at Santa Maria, then over Tepesquet (that is on the route map, but going in the other direction). From there, I think Walt Bunning (dyvking) has info on his site of a road off Tepusquet to up Sierra Madre Ridge Road (parallels 166 high above Cuyama) down Cottoonwood Canyon and just a little of 166, and maybe Foothill Road behind Cuyama to Santa Barbara Canyon (up to Cuyama Peak) and Tinta Trail to 33. Back to Quatal Canyon to Cerro Noeresté and back toward the Carrizo or South to LA!

Then we have enough dirt to want knobbies, and enough pavement to ruin them!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #204
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,711
Camping or Moteling? I know Nowwhat and Artboy don't own tents and sleeping bags.

Less crap we have to bring, the better for me.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #205
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Camping or Moteling? I know Nowwhat and Artboy don't own tents and sleeping bags.

damn right.... ....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #206
The Patagonia Kid
gnarly adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Cool2 Honda trail

Quote:
Thanks Joel for putting together a great day on the Carrizo. I had a good ride and enjoyed spending time with everyone. There should be more days like that.

My ride was nearly epic. Of course I have a lot of those kind of rides, as I tend to ride bikes that are often perceived to be ill suited for the task at hand. (Don't tell everyone, but it is WAY more fun that way. OK, go tell them. They won't believe me anyway. For most people this stuff is serious.)

So for me, this weekend evolved into a classic match up in a

Three Adventure Bike "Shoot Out".

The Contestants:

The Legendary Honda Trail 90 - Arguably Japan's first true adventure bike. A real pioneer in the motorcycling world. With many ground breaking features that to this day are lacking on the current breed of so called "Adventure Bikes". These include: The innovative Dual Range 8 speed transmission. Automatic clutch. Auxillary fuel tank. Ultra-heavy duty luggage rack. High air intake and exhuasts. Low center of gravity. Large parts availability and can be easily serviced in the field. Many believe that the current trend for 17 inch wheels began on this very machine.

Yes, those are street tires.

KTM 950 Adventure - A true giant among Adventure Bikes. This particular example is a Haul Road veteran, on loan from the once and still great, DarrenO. A distant decendant of the Penton 125 Six Days. Thbig KTM is designed for world travel, regardless of conditions. Smooth, nearly limitless horsepower, large fuel capacity, full instrumentation, and windscreen protection from the elements are just a few of the reasons this bike is a top choice for global explorers.

The loud end of the 950

Honda CRF 450X - The dirt side of the "Adventure Bikes". Designed for closed course competition use, with slight modifications, the CRF enters the murky world of "California Legal Dual-Sports" with a little help from the good folks at Baja Designs and, well, some "leg work" on the registration end of things. Bribery aside, this bike is designed to get it done on the dirt. The quick revving four stroke single has already established itself as a formidable competitor on nearly every type of off-road race course world wide. How will it fair against legendary, purpose built, Adventure Bikes? Stay tuned.

Darren and Toni O prep as the 450X waits patiently.

Let the Shoot Out Begin

HONDA TRAIL 90
Friday, April 18 - outside of Maricopa, California

The comparision begins at 8:00 PM friday evening when I leave the south end of the Carrizo for the 12 mile trip "off the hill" to get fuel for the Trail 90. I pass some FF heading in to the monument with a bike in the back of the truck. It's well after sundown and the six-volt headlight light on the Trail 90 illuminates the road every bit as well as a doube A Mag Lite.

ROAD USE LIGHTING - 1

The run down the 7% grade finds me hold off on full throttle to keep the Trail 90 at the legal 55 mph speed. Almost exhilirating. Of course I would never know the speed with out the full moon. The guages lights are softly glowing decorations. Topping off the 1.6 gallon tank and 4 pint auxillary can requires $5.50. Not exactly paper route money anymore. But at somewhere in the vecinty of 100 mpg, it is better than it's competition.

TOP SPEED (downhill) +1
INSTRUMENTS LIGHTING -1
FUEL ECONOMY +1

Now for the first test. The legendary climb back up the Elkhorn Grade. In the dark. I give it some thought as I leave Maricopa. Where lies the greater risk? Run down from behind climbing the highway at 25 mph or lost off some cliff at night, while now one even knows I am gone, let alone out riding the dirt roads? Thhis is Adventure Bike Shoot Out! Up the Elkhorn Grade Road!

The little 90 is better suspended than I recalled as a rattle along the road after the Kitty-Litter turn off. It begins the climb strongly and the lights seem fine at 25 mph. Even loaded down with a Gatorade and Subway sandwich, it climbs with authority in second gear.

Nearing the top I glance back toward the California's Great Central Valley, and see the lights of Bako fouling the night sky, I am reminded of a recent idea of DarrenO's suggesting we ride the Carrizo at night. With that thought in my head, the Trail 90 abruptly dies.

I did think to stick a flashlight in my pocket as I dashed out the door, but no tape, wire, or more importantly fuses. After about 20 minutes I had ripped some wire off and jumped across the fuse and continued along to cross the Elkhorn Hills and head home. A quick fuse holder replacement and the 90 was ready for tomorrow and inside I went to enjoy my beat up Subway sammich.

CLIMBING ABILITY +1
SUSPENSION and HANDLING +1
TRAIL LIGHTING +1
EASE OF FIELD REPAIR +1
SPARE PARTS KIT -1

Saturday, April 19 - Carrizo Plain National Monument

The next leg of the shoot out was nearly the full length of Soda Lake road. It is 40 miles from the MU Ranch at the south end tothe staging area at the California Valley Community Center to the north. The Trail 90 was the weapon of choice. Having pre-ridden most of this section six days earlier with a BMW R75/6 sidecar rig, I expected that the washboard section would be a tough test for the Trail 90. The 6:45 AM start was colder than I prefer at 36 degrees. It is times like this that I am glad to not be in a tent.

The six volt system on the little Honda cannot run one of the most valuable accesory to the motorcycle Adventurer, electric clothing. The Honda handled the washboard just fine as it hauled me to Cal-Val at a 40 mph average. The Valley had patches of fog in the hills, as the sun had not been up long enough to burn it off. I happily waved my numb right hand to Toni and DarrenO as I pulled in.

COLD WEATHER PROTECTION -1
FLAT ROAD SPEED +1
SUSPENSION +1

HONDA Summary

The Honda packs a lot of Adventure in it's small frame. It is very important, if one wishes to get the most enjoyment out of this bike, that one travel alone, as I did, or better yet with other 90s to avoid any basis of direct comparison with the reality of modern motorcycling. Of course a key component in an Adventure is risk and challenge and the Trail 90 delivers that in great quantity. This will be a tough one to match!

FUEL ECONOMY +1
TOP SPEED (downhill) +1
TOP SPEED (level ground) +1
CLIMBING ABILITY +1
SUSPENSION and HANDLING +1
ROAD USE LIGHTING - 1
TRAIL USE LIGHTING +1
INSTRUMENTS LIGHTING -1
COLD WEATHER PROTECTION -1
EASE OF FIELD REPAIR +1
SPARE PARTS KIT -1

Tomorrow.....
The KTM 950 Adventure

more to come....

About that Honda trail 90... once I met somebody that made it all the way from Buenos Aires (Argentina) to Los angeles (California) on the bigger brother the trail 110 cc two up.
I have great respect for those machines.
The Patagonia Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #207
ddennis669
Adventurer

Thumb Two Up on 110?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patagonia Kid
About that Honda trail 90... once I met somebody that made it all the way from Buenos Aires (Argentina) to Los angeles (California) on the bigger brother the trail 110 cc two up.
I have great respect for those machines.
F-ing A. That makes Wan look like a ... well, no, Wan is still incredible. But two up on a 110 from Aouth America. You gotta like each other a LOT!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #208
ddennis669
Adventurer

Cool2 Motel 8 - Maricopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

Might I suggest,

Motel 8
600 Poso St
Maricopa, CA 93252
Phone: 661-769-8291
Fax: 661-769-885
Email: motel8@bak.rr.com

http://www.motel8maricopa.com/

Conveniently located at the bottom of the Elkhorn Grade, and just across the street from slightly high priced gasoline, beer, wine and liquor with fine dining at Subway Sandwich.

I had to stay, oops, I mean I got to stay there for three nights this winter while all our plumbing was being re-done. Like most semi-modern, motels, throughout Generica, it lacks character, but at least it is cheap. Rooms are like, $50 I think.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #209
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Wicked

Quote:
I could do a weekday by June 8. A lot less traffic then.

This should be is a decent two day ride. Google wouldn't route on Pozo Road, or the back way to Lake Lopez, but we would! And Wally should know some better stuff over the hills near Lake Cachuma.
When's the last time you've been to the Pozo Saloon or the Cold Springs Tavern?

Google Map Link
Attachment 163911

The Google Map is a good start. I have more devious thoughts....

Before Carizo there's a section of off-road that might be nice between 33 and Cerro Noreste. Zoom across Carizo. 58 to Pozo Road. Pozo Saloon. High Mountain Road to Arroyo Grande. 101 to 166 to Sierra Madre back to Tepesquet to Foxen. Santa Ynez find Refugio Road up to Camino Cielo. Maybe drop down to the hot springs. 192 to Ojai area. Alterations can be made as necessary.

This increases the dirt portion dramatically. Its more challenging riding than the Plains.

Off-Road tires recommended but I've done most of these with Anakee/Tourance. TKC 80's make life much more bearable.

Gas might be a bigger concern than tires.

Maricopa is too close for the overnight portion unless folks are planning on getting up there on the night before and sleeping on the road 2 nights.

Weekends only for me. Memorial Day is going to be designated for a Baja run or Whitewater Kayaking.
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #210
ddennis669
Adventurer

Thumb I like how you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled
The Google Map is a good start. I have more devious thoughts....

Quote:
Before Carizo there's a section of off-road that might be nice between 33 and Cerro Noreste.
Quatal Canyon Road. A good road.

Quote:
Zoom across Carizo.
How about Zig-Zag through Carrizo and drop down to Fellows so we can ride up 58 from McKittrick?

Quote:
58 to Pozo Road. Pozo Saloon. High Mountain Road to Arroyo Grande. 101 to 166 to Sierra Madre back to Tepesquet to Foxen.
We could go all the way on 166 to Cottonwood Canyon for even more of Sierra Madre Ridge.

Quote:
Santa Ynez find Refugio Road up to Camino Cielo. Maybe drop down to the hot springs. 192 to Ojai area. Alterations can be made as necessary.
Camino Cielo!

Quote:
This increases the dirt portion dramatically. Its more challenging riding than the Plains.

Off-Road tires recommended but I've done most of these with Anakee/Tourance. TKC 80's make life much more bearable.
Again, I like how you think!

Quote:
Gas might be a bigger concern than tires.
I think on this route the only gas availables would be in Ojai, Ventucopa, Maricopa, Taft, Arroyo Grande, New Cuyama and Santa Maria (both a little out of the way), Santa Ynez, Santa Barbara and back to Ojai. Could be tight in spots.

Quote:
Maricopa is too close for the overnight portion unless folks are planning on getting up there on the night before and sleeping on the road 2 nights.
What if we rode 33, all of the Carrizo, spent the night in Taft, took 33 north to 58 west in the morning and busted our butts for the day to get through Pozo, Sierra Madre, Camino Cielo, and arrive back in Ojai? Is that do-able?

Quote:
Weekends only for me. Memorial Day is going to be designated for a Baja run or Whitewater Kayaking.
I am thinking Friday, June 13 to get to Taft (easy for me!), Saturday, June 14 do 58, Pozo, AG, to Ojai, then I would head back up 33.

OR

Saturday, June 14 to Taft, Sunday, June 15 do the rest of it. What works? (I have time either way, I just need to find some knobbies, and then of course a bike to put them on.)