ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #211
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
We could go all the way on 166 to Cottonwood Canyon for even more of Sierra Madre Ridge.
I have some stuff on the ride from 166/sierra madre/LaBrea Cyn/Colson Cyn/Tepusquet here.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +90
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #212
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Dennis is getting too popular - I knew him before all the hype!!

That's it, Im officaly resign as Dennis's fan club president.... he's gotten too mainstream

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #213
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
Dennis is getting too popular - I knew him before all the hype!!
You'd think you'd have gotten his first name down by now

Clue: it has to do with the first 'd' in his nik.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #214
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
Dave

"Dave's not here man". Sorry that was some other time in my life.

Now was that Cheech or Chong?

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #215
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
It's All Good

It's all good. The route ddennis specifies is great. The entire loop CAN be done in one day but you've got to be a tough mutha and not dilly dally around.

Taft for the evening stay is an option. I was thinking more like Arroyo Grande or Santa Maria. Not sure what the accomodation options are in either place.

I'll be riding the Mothership. Might be a good idea for the fuel-challenged to bring gas cans and/or a siphon hose so they can visit the tanker bike. There are going to be probably three areas that fuel will be a problem. Maricopa/Taft-Arroyo Grande, the 166/Sierra Madre section and the Santa Ynez/Camino Cielo/Cold Springs/Hot Springs section. I definitely prefer going past Sierra Madre on 166 to the other canyon then back to Tepesquet on the ridge. I've also heard of people putting gas in a Camelback. Yuck!
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #216
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled
There are going to be probably three areas that fuel will be a problem. Maricopa/Taft-Arroyo Grande, the 166/Sierra Madre section and the Santa Ynez/Camino Cielo/Cold Springs/Hot Springs section.
When passing through my area, I'd suggest topping off in Nipomo. Take the Teft St. Exit. Gas/food on both sides of 101. Then, it's a little over 100 miles out 166 to Cottonwood Cyn, up and over Sierra Madre to Tepusquet and into the Santa Maria Valley. Instead of crossing the river to Foxen Cyn, go West on Santa Maria Mesa Rd. to the small town of Gary. Go south a little to Orcutt-Gary Rd. and go West to Dominion Rd. South on Dominion to Clark and West again to Bradley Rd. in Orcutt. Food Gas. It's about 20 miles from the intersection of Tepusquet and Colson Cyn, but that's really about the best bet without really backtracking much.
Then, back out Clark, but go RIGHT at Dominion to Palmer Rd. Left on Palmer to Sisquoc and right at the stopsign back onto Foxen Canyon.

You guys are talking about a sun-up to sun-down ride, and maybe then some to go from Taft to Ojai on that route. None of it is real hard core dirt, just lots of it. I've done all of it on my GS at one time or another, and I'm just barely a mediocre rider in the dirt, so you folks may well ride it a lot faster than me
Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #217
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
Thanks guys for doing all the planning, I can't help, not really familiar with the area.

I can do either Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I'm debating if this is a 640A or GS12. The 640A has the big tank and I can do 300 miles. If there are thumpers coming along, it will be the 640A, otherwise, it's the big bike, just have put TKCs on.

Dennis, the dates you mentioned look good.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #218
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Hey guy's the ride your planing looks like fun I'm in Ventura and have been
on most of the roads in the area at one time or another. Just got back from
WARP great fun. Do we have a date for the ride? I can do 2 or 3 days in June. Thanks Bob

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #219
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,896
NOOb Rider

I am a n00b on a GS w/ Deathwings. How much over my head am I going to be if I try this run?

I thought about using the xr, but not near enough tank for the run.

Looking for some advice. If I go I'll slow you guys down.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #220
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Talking Wuss Bikes, Dates, Route and Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Thanks guys for doing all the planning, I can't help, not really familiar with the area.

I can do either Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I'm debating if this is a 640A or GS12. The 640A has the big tank and I can do 300 miles. If there are thumpers coming along, it will be the 640A, otherwise, it's the big bike, just have put TKCs on.
Summer is coming. Keep the street tires on the GS12. Oh wait, No, only a total wuss would ride a little 640 on a manly adventure like this. You should definitely ride the GS12. In fact, you should give me your 640A so you won't have to be embarassed by owning one.

(If you guys are all running those hot-rod big bores, twins, I may be forced to bring the Mighty Ninja just to stay in the same time zone! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Dennis, the dates you mentioned look good.
OK, so if the weekend of June 13th, 14th and 15th works for others, let's go then. My guess is, that Saturday-Sunday (14-15) will work best for others. Anyone?

This is a great loop, it just lacks motels at the top (Pozo). Arroyo Grande would split it up pretty well, but even using my "Mature Traveler" discount the Econo-lodge runs nearly $200. I don't want to sound like the Chamber of Commerce, but motels in Taft would run about $75, Maricopa $50. That buys a LOT of gasoline and beer.

I need Walt and Wally to chime in and help me out with this, but if we rode the loop clockwise;

DAY 1
(maybe 300 miles? but the last 70 could be pavement if needed and it will be just a week before the Solstice, so lots of daylight.)

Ojai,
Camino Cielo,
Refugio Road,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Santa Ynes
Foxen Canyon,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Santa Maria
Tepusquet
Cottonwood Canyon
Sierra Madre Ridge,
La Brea/Colston Canyon?,
Tepusquet,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Nipomo,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Arroyo Grande,
Pozo,
Pozo Road,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Taft (longest stretch without fuel, 150+ miles?)

DAY 2 (maybe 150 miles?)
Taft,
Fellows,
Carrizo,
Elkhorn Grade
Klipstien Canyon
Cerro Noereste
Quatal Canyon,
Cuyama Peak
Tinta trail (if open)
Ojai

Any thoughts?
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #221
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
I like the way you think Dennis.

The sun sets at NW and our first day ride ends east, no direct sun in our face!

Then, on the way home, the sun is behind us at the end of the day!

Smart thinking, you are brilliant and should have been a strategist for Napoleon Bonapart!

Joel
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #222
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Training Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112
I am a n00b on a GS w/ Deathwings. How much over my head am I going to be if I try this run?

I thought about using the xr, but not near enough tank for the run.

Looking for some advice. If I go I'll slow you guys down.

I think you'll be OK. It's still 6 weeks out. You can do some practice rides to get ready and test out how you'll fare. I can meet you after work if you'd like someone to ride with. In 6 weeks you should also be able to wear out any tires and replace them with TKC 80s.

I recommend a couple of training rides per week. You'll really see rapid skill development.

Head up 154 from Santa Barbara and take a left on Camino Cielo near the top of the ridge. This will be about as bad as any of the stuff we'll be riding. Continue on Camino Cielo until the pavement ends then keep on going until it's paved again and on to the T intersection. You can go left to run into the 101 at Refugio Park or turn right to find more (easier) dirt down into Santa Ynez.

Be extremely careful crossing the creek (several crossings) after you return to pavment going toward SY on Refugio Road. That's where I broke my rib a couple of months ago. Try to cross the creek where the car tires have worn away some of the very slippery algae and not in the center of the lane like I did. Of course you can simply turn around at the T and return the way you came for a better ride.

Warning: it is incredibly beautiful up there on Camino Cielo.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #223
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Deep Thoughts

OK, so if the weekend of June 13th, 14th and 15th works for others, let's go then. My guess is, that Saturday-Sunday (14-15) will work best for others. Anyone?

This is a great loop, it just lacks motels at the top (Pozo). Arroyo Grande would split it up pretty well, but even using my "Mature Traveler" discount the Econo-lodge runs nearly $200. I don't want to sound like the Chamber of Commerce, but motels in Taft would run about $75, Maricopa $50. That buys a LOT of gasoline and beer.

I need Walt and Wally to chime in and help me out with this, but if we rode the loop clockwise;

DAY 1
(maybe 300 miles? but the last 70 could be pavement if needed and it will be just a week before the Solstice, so lots of daylight.)

Ojai,
Camino Cielo,
Refugio Road,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Santa Ynes
Foxen Canyon,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Santa Maria
Tepusquet
Cottonwood Canyon
Sierra Madre Ridge,
La Brea/Colston Canyon?,
Tepusquet,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Nipomo,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Arroyo Grande,
Pozo,
Pozo Road,
FUEL AVAILABLE in Taft (longest stretch without fuel, 150+ miles?)

DAY 2 (maybe 150 miles?)
Taft,
Fellows,
Carrizo,
Elkhorn Grade
Klipstien Canyon
Cerro Noereste
Quatal Canyon,
Cuyama Peak
Tinta trail (if open)
Ojai

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Thoughts:

There's nothing like Hwy 33 early in the morning. I like riding up Hwy 33 from Ojai more than the other direction.

Going clockwise will put us on the more challenging dirt sections first and that time of year there's a very good chance for the marine layer fog to obstruct the views from Camino Cielo and Sierra Madre. Might be better counter-clockwise as each dirt section pretty much gets mo better as you progress along the loop.

I don't think we'll have to worry about sun except for maybe the Pozo Road portion and we should hit that about mid-day.

Rest stops. The Deer Lodge is a good place to meet-up and have breakfast. Pozo Saloon is the perfect distance from Ojai for a lunch break. High Mountain Road is directly across the street from the saloon. Riding over that and then beside the lake is really cool and would be a great end-of-day segment. Sleep/eat breakfast somewhere nearby from as far up as Paso Robles (not really on the loop) down to Santa Maria. There has to be something fairly affordable as far as motels go. I haven't looked into the motels and appreciate anyone's feedback on these. Camping is always an alternative for anyone interested and there's camping both campground and roadside up High Mountain Road which is about as half-way through the ride as it could be or on Pozo Road there's camping too. This just in: SLO has motels starting at about $60 for Saturday. Probably a good idea to make reservations well in advance. Saturday Night dinner at Jocko's or other cool restaurant. Breakfast in SLO then lunch at Cold Springs Tavern after what will probably be the last dirt section on Camino Cielo unless we veer off to the hot springs. There's also good Mexican food on Milpass and a couple of oceanfront cafes but those aren't really directly on the route. Back to Deer Lodge for goodbyes. I can show the LA crew the sneaky way to PCH again.

The route and the Saturday/Sunday dates look good to me.

Should we start a separate thread for this ride???
Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #224
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Going clockwise will put us on the more challenging dirt sections first and that time of year there's a very good chance for the marine layer fog to obstruct the views from Camino Cielo and Sierra Madre. Might be better counter-clockwise as each dirt section pretty much gets mo better as you progress along the loop.
I agree.
Quote:
I don't think we'll have to worry about sun except for maybe the Pozo Road portion and we should hit that about mid-day.
It can get freakin hot down in La Brea Canyon (between Sierra Madre and Colson Canyon) in the afternoon. Just keep your camelbak filled.

Quote:
Saturday Night dinner at Jocko's
STRONGLY AGREE ! Be hungry when you come in, and bring enough change to get the filet mignon. After that, you won't care much about what happens next.
Quote:
lunch at Cold Springs Tavern
Agree.. great spot. Locals go there. Every rider should do it at least once. Doesn't count unless you have a beer, too.

Quote:
Yeah.

I can't make the entire ride that weekend, but would sure love to hook up for at least parts of it. Like the ride from Pozo to Arroyo Grande, and din-din at Jocko's

This has the makin's of an epic central coast dual sport ride. The most I ever did in one day was from my place (Santa Maria) out Tepusquet to Colson Cyn, up and over LaBrea Cyn to Miranda Pine..then Sierra Madre to Bates Cyn, then across Carrizo to 58, out Pozo Rd (the dirt way) to Pozo, then Hi Mountain to Lopez Lake, and back home. Damn near killed me. And I was 10 years younger. But then, I'm kind of a wuss. Oh... I did that on a Honda 750 Shadow Ace. Damn near killed it too

Also.. there's a Motel 6 near the intersection of 101 and 166, and close to Jocko's. As an added bonus, there's a multi-dealer m/c mall right next door to the motel 6... Harley, Yammie, Suzi and Kawi. No Beemer. Drat.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #225
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
I can see this getting to be a big deal before it's all over.
New thread started.