User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,581
My Mini Dakar build project! (NX250)

Its been a few years since I did a project like this (AfricaAlp http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52 ) but I'm excited about it and ready to get started.
The bike is a 1988 NX250 with 12k on the clock and really clean for its age.
I'll be using this bike for Adventure style riding and will complete my TAT ride this summer on it.

My goals will be:
better suspension
custom fairing with dual round HID headlights
rear disc brake
rack for rear luggage
more fuel capacity
17" rear wheel
a little power increase
I can't wait to get started!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:34 AM
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

First order of business is to get rid of what I like to call "fluff". Fluff is the extra stuff on bikes that isn't really needed, is bulky and just adds weight.
I noticed that my rear fender is starting to get the little stress cracks near the tail light. After some inspection, I found that the cause of these cracks are from the mudguard/license plate holder. When you hit a bump, this wiggles around causing the brittle fender to flex and eventually crack.
I figured that I could get rid of some of that hanging weight buy removing the license plate bracket and light. This piece actually has some weight to it.
Once removed I just bolted the plate to the flat area underneath. For light, I found a small inexpensive LED light that is self adheasive at Cycle Gear. This stick just above the plate and saves some wattage.

I really don't like the stock Honda turn signals, they are big and break off easily. Cycle Gear had the same LED light in amber that would work great for signals. I monted them to the flat spots on the sides of the mudguard. Again, this free's up more wattage.

For the front signals, I once again relied on Cycle Gear. They had these nifty little LED turn signals that are very compact, light weight and bright. They bolt right into the stock locations and look great. Once again freeing up more wattage (are you seeing a trend here) for those cool accessories I'm going to add later.

Now, the signals just stay lit and do not blink. No worries, this is normal. You need to swap the stock flasher for an electronic flasher thats designed for LED's. The LED's do not have enough draw to make the flasher flash. Cycle Gear has just the answer with their Motrax LED flashers. You need the universal one, not the one for Honda's.

I hate shift levers that do not have a folding tip! Plus, mine was missing the rubber piece on the tip. What to do...I just happen to have a spare OEM shifter for my XR600. What do ya know, it bolts right on and is the exact same shape and length as the stock NX one.

My bike only had one mirror and it was shot! At 20 mph it would get pushed back making it useless. I had used these Emgo mirros on my XR600 and love them! They always stay in place even at 80+ mph and they fold in out of the way for offroad use. These are only $9.99ea at Cycle Gear and screw right into the stock locations.

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:35 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

I'm going to need some pannier racks but there is none available in the aftermarket. So I went to Harbor Freight and found this nifty little tubing bender. It was only $29.99 but it actually worked great, it makes nice smooth bends with no kinking or spliting even past 90 degrees.

I bought some steel tubing at the local ACE Hardware and went to work. Believe it or not, it only took me about 30 minutes to bend these up. All I need to do now is make some mounting tabs and have it all welded up.

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:36 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

One of the things that bug me on the 250 is the 16" rear wheel. Its just too small for adventure riding and good tires just don't exist unless you keep it on the pavement.
I read on ADVrider that a 17" rear wheel from a 87 XL250 would bolt right on. A quick search on ebay and I found a really nice wheel for very little money.
Another advantage to running the XL wheel is the brake rod is over the swingarm instead of under. On my old NX, I had hit a rock and bent it pretty good locking the brake up. Having the rod over the swingarm will eliminate this problem.
Here is the stock wheel with the rod on the bottom....

All you need to do is flip the rod at the pivot from this...

To this...
I put a very slight bend in the rod so it wouldn't rub the swingarm.

The brake arm on the XL has a bend in it like this....

You can also do this mod with the stock wheel, you just need to take the brake arm off and reindex it so that it points up. Also the brake arm on the NX is straight like this so you may need to bend it in a vice. Or you could buy just the XR brake arm and mount it to the splines...

Here is what it looks like when finished.

Now I have more ground clearance, a better ride, a brake rod that won't bend and a much larger selection of tires.
My bike came with a 47 tooth sprocket which was geared WAY to low, stock is 41. With the extra height of this wheel, the gearing should be alot better.

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:33 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

I finished up the pannier racks last night, they are nice and sturdy and are going to work great!

The bags came from Tractor Supply and only cost $30, they are designed as tank bags for an ATV but work perfectly as saddlebags as well. I used them on my TAT ride last summer on the tank, they worked great and even kept my stuff dry in a couple down poors.

The hand mitts also came from Tractor Supply for $35, they keep my hands nice and warm even on those single digit days.
The sheepskin seat cover came from www.alaskaleather.com and is worth its weight in gold on long rides.

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:37 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

I needed a temporary place to mount my Touratech GPS mount untill I get the fairing finished.
I used two upper bar clamps. On one, I pressed a nut into each hole. On the other I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole. These will bolt together around the bar.

Now just position the angle that you need and tighten the clamps to the bar. I then mounted the TT mount to the clamps using a rubber washer sandwiched inbetween the TT mount and the clamp to dampen some vibes.
You'll also noticed that I made some bar risers by placing another pair of upper bar clamps under the bars and using 4 longer bolts.

I now have a nice sturdy mount....

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:39 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Now for the fairing mount.
I fabbed up a bracket for supporting the fairing and my GPS using some aluminum tubing, flat stock, L angle and my handy dandy HF tubing bender. Its a pretty simple design but works very well.

The bracket attaches to the turn signal mounts using some L angle.

The fairing itself is from a 2003 BMW F650 Dakar, its very thick and very tuff.

The fairing is attached to the bracket with the same rubber fasteners that the side farings use. This will dampen vibrations and keep the mounting holes from cracking over time. The bottom hole has a rubber plug inserted and resting agaings the stock fairing.

Now that I have my GPS off the bar mounts and up in my line of site, I used the old location to mount my XM/WX satelite antenna.

I just screwed the mounting plate to the clamps with a counter sinc screw.

The antenna has a strong magnet built in and sticks right to the mounting plate. Now I can listen to my favorite music and keep track of the weather at all times.

The stock headlight/fairing mount is a bit on the weak side. With the extra wind resistance that the fairing will get, I figured I'd better give it some support.
I bent up a simple L shaped bracket out of some 1" aluminum flatstock and drilled a hole on each end.

I used an exhisting bolt that is used to mount the headlight on the front end and ran the other end to the stock monting bracket where I drilled a hole and bolted it on. The whole headlight assembly is now nice and sturdy.

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:43 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

I received the shield back from the paint shop and it turned out great. I had them paint the inside so it won't get rock chips on the front....

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 07:44 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

I sent my seat to Renazco for James to work his magic on, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I used his seat on my teams BITD quad and it worked flawlessly!

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-14-2008 at 11:31 AM
Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Looks great, keep the info coming

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
wow you work fast. looks very cool and you are having fun doing it too! wait till you ride it huh?! :)
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Nice work; I just wish you'd have started with an uglier bike...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
Nice project Jeff

Wow Jeff-------I can't wait to see the finished product. Your imagination is phenomenal-----and the fabrication work is superb. Your going to get great gas mileage with that motor---and it will be stone realiable and easy to work on.

A very unusual project that nobody but you would have even thought of. It's going to be great I know !!!!

When they don't make what you want-----make it yourself.

My dream bike is a dakar like bike with a small V-twin in the 450 to 550cc range. But not a racey motor like the Aprillia. It's maddening to me that the bike manufactures don't make what we want. They get so close----but yet are so far away.

I know you-----you won't be able to sleep at night till this thing is done
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
Jeff@TheQuadShop OP
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Wow Jeff-------I can't wait to see the finished product. Your imagination is phenomenal-----and the fabrication work is superb. Your going to get great gas mileage with that motor---and it will be stone realiable and easy to work on.

A very unusual project that nobody but you would have even thought of. It's going to be great I know !!!!

When they don't make what you want-----make it yourself.

My dream bike is a dakar like bike with a small V-twin in the 450 to 550cc range. But not a racey motor like the Aprillia. It's maddening to me that the bike manufactures don't make what we want. They get so close----but yet are so far away.

I know you-----you won't be able to sleep at night till this thing is done

LOL thanks Bid D! Hey, did I send you the file of the "KAT" that I've been putting together yet?

Jeff@TheQuadShop screwed with this post 03-14-2008 at 11:14 AM