ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
bdnees OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Talking Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

I have been bitten by cannonshot's bug and am planning a UPAT big bike only ride this year. I have scheduled May 31-June 6 for this ride due to kiddos school and work. I am planning on camping the whole trip but open to hotels one or two nights or if the weather sucks. I ride a Husky TR650 and am at best a novice rider but I am not a snail either. If anyone is interested in joining me, I would love the company and the extra hands in case there are problems. Shoot me a PM if interested. Winter's gotta end sometime...
bdnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
Jh321
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
You might be able to count me in on this one. I will be on an f800gs
Jh321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
spudboy52
Almost a Yooper

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnees View Post
I have been bitten by cannonshot's bug and am planning a UPAT big bike only ride this year. I have scheduled May 31-June 6 for this ride due to kiddos school and work. I am planning on camping the whole trip but open to hotels one or two nights or if the weather sucks. I ride a Husky TR650 and am at best a novice rider but I am not a snail either. If anyone is interested in joining me, I would love the company and the extra hands in case there are problems. Shoot me a PM if interested. Winter's gotta end sometime...
Bdnees,
Your dates and proposed type of ride work for me. I'm 58 and ride either a BMW F650GS or a R1100GS, frequently in the UP. I did the Central Rally for my first time last year and learned that not only do I have the wrong type of equipment, ... but I'm old and I'm slow.
spudboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
bdnees OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh321 View Post
You might be able to count me in on this one. I will be on an f800gs
Excellent!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
bdnees OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy52 View Post
Bdnees,
Your dates and proposed type of ride work for me. I'm 58 and ride either a BMW F650GS or a R1100GS, frequently in the UP. I did the Central Rally for my first time last year and learned that not only do I have the wrong type of equipment, ... but I'm old and I'm slow.
Old and slow works for me. I will stay in touch as the date gets closer. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 421
This is a bad ass trip, and route. I have done it twice now 2011, and 2014. Check out the UPAT 2011 trip report on my sig line...great memories and friends.

Cannonshot Rocks!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
cyclebabble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I tried it last year on my 990, proved to big a bike for me. Plus I was nursing a bad back at the time. Novice rider here. Going to try it this year on my DRZ400. Not sure if the dates will work, but I will be watching, maybe I could make it work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMG...a66QHoTkkDDmjA
cyclebabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 AM   #8
bdnees OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
This is a bad ass trip, and route. I have done it twice now 2011, and 2014. Check out the UPAT 2011 trip report on my sig line...great memories and friends.

Cannonshot Rocks!!!
Great report and videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebabble View Post
I tried it last year on my 990, proved to big a bike for me. Plus I was nursing a bad back at the time. Novice rider here. Going to try it this year on my DRZ400. Not sure if the dates will work, but I will be watching, maybe I could make it work.
Sounds good.

DISCLAIMER: Just so everyone knows, this is in no way and organized event. I have never done this ride before and all my experience in the UP has been on asphalt. I will be following Cannonshot's route on my GPS. Aside from that, my only plan is to enjoy and endure.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 20,517
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: Just so everyone knows, this is in no way and organized event. I have never done this ride before and all my experience in the UP has been on asphalt. I will be following Cannonshot's route on my GPS. Aside from that, my only plan is to enjoy and endure.
You guys are going to have a blast but I'm sure there will be some taxing moments.

I put a lot of pictures and info in the ride report that will help people get a better idea of what it is like. Since you are riding the big bike version, the very bad sand sections (and the like) will not be on the route since I put in big bike by-passes. A lot of people that have ridden the route have added their insight to the report as well. As a side note, it is best to be prepared to ride in cold rain.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
cocco78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have been wanting to do this for a while now. I live in Iron Mountain, and i've done pieces and parts of this trail. I've done a great deal of vehicular overland camping which would be the Jeep version of this ride, i have a club called UPJeeping. I would be a novice rider, not really good at fast riding, and my bike isn't setup for week long trips. But i know the UP like the back of my hand and I could probably point out alot of neat history stuff and other cool things the UPAT misses. The dates you picked might be perfect bug free weather as well. Last memorial weekend it was warm and 70s, and the bugs didn't hatch yet, the weekend after though was insanely bad.

cocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post

Nice shot of the Redridge Dam. Not included on this particular route, but interesting as there were only three steel dams like this built in the US.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
cocco78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Yeah the UP has so much to see its hard to just pick 1 route to take around it. But I'm maybe be more into the scenery and the destinations than the actual riding, and putting on miles, i'm less likely to follow a planned route but rather have start and end points and connect the dots.
cocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
Yeah the UP has so much to see its hard to just pick 1 route to take around it. But I'm maybe be more into the scenery and the destinations than the actual riding, and putting on miles, i'm less likely to follow a planned route but rather have start and end points and connect the dots.
I've got a ton of tracks and routes in the UP that range from covering scenic, touristy, history stuff to down and dirty riding. To cover it all would take all summer. If you are a history buff you might enjoy these two big bike routes (Eastern UP Western UP) which overlap the areas the UPAT route runs through.

Not to distract from the UPAT, I only mention those two in case the group sees something proximate to the UPAT that they want to explore.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
bdnees OP
Adventurer

I ordered my MI ORV stickers today. Is it too early to start packing the bike? 68 on Thursday. Gotta try out my new risers...
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
spudboy52
Almost a Yooper

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Anybody else going to roll with us?
spudboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote