Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #151
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox
ummm... Where do i get in line for the Phoenix twin? That is sweet and I've got a set of USD style forks for my KLR waiting for me to figgure out how to nicely mount Inserments and lighting (was planning to go the buell ulysses route)

Any word yet on weather the accessory fuse panel will be included? If so how many spare slots? Also does it mount up to the stock brackets on the stear tube?

I can't wait! Keep up the good work!!
First off, you don't need to 'line up' for one. We've already started producing the Phoenix twin in all the colours, but are waiting on the wiring looms at the moment.

As far as the USD forks are concerned, there are no fitment problems regarding the fairing. The fairing fits straight onto the existing headlight frame. If you are looking for an instrument solution, you could get our Carbon panel (see attached), which comes with it's own frame and attaches straight onto the headlight frame.

In fact, if you wanted to, you can fit the whole setup (including your new instrument setup) before tackling the forks issue, because there is no interference between the two.

The fairing comes with the lights fitted and the wiring loom complete. The power from the battery terminates at a panel (behind the fairing) that contains two micro relays, the light fuse and two spare powered fuse holders to use for accessories. You will be able to power anything you like from this point without running any further wires back to the battery.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 05:54 PM
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #152
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
How much is the dashboard, and I'd like it WITHOUT the electrical bits, as I have mine already built.
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #153
boxorox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Thanks ! The twin XS is $470 and the Phoenix twin (beakless) is $420
So what would the price be with the farring and the full carbon panel?
boxorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #154
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
How much is the dashboard, and I'd like it WITHOUT the electrical bits, as I have mine already built.
Electrical would save $58, but you would need to get the two terminal connections and seals for the back of the lights (H9). There are two dash options, $74 for the full size (for use without the OEM clocks) and $60 for the half height one that's used if you retain the clocks. Both use the same mounting legs which are supplied with the kits.

Ian B screwed with this post 04-16-2008 at 02:16 PM
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #155
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox
So what would the price be with the farring and the full carbon panel?
They are $74. So, a Phoenix twin with either clear or tinted screen, with the wiring harness and the full Carbon dash kit is $494 + shipping, which would typically be $20-30 depending on location from the NW.

Although our website will not be updated with the two new fairings until next week, there is other usefull imformation at www.britanniacomposites.com
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #156
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
just wait for LED headlight bulbs to come out. Won't be long.
(I hope)

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #157
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,028
Alright

You say plug and play?

I also see that the system works with the stock headlight mount, so there is NOTHING a complete mechanically challenged individual like myself for instance would need to machine or fabricate (as if I could) in order to fit the twin headlight system?

I like the looks, and the idea of having better headlights is always attractive, but I don't have the skills to do any major overhall on my front end.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #158
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Hi Ian,

How much room is there behind the dash? Do you have a picture with the panel removed? I realize the area behind it is taped and probably not the easiest to measure.

Thanks!
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #159
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
You say plug and play?

I also see that the system works with the stock headlight mount, so there is NOTHING a complete mechanically challenged individual like myself for instance would need to machine or fabricate (as if I could) in order to fit the twin headlight system?

I like the looks, and the idea of having better headlights is always attractive, but I don't have the skills to do any major overhall on my front end.
The lights are excellent, but remember that according to those who already have the original XS, it's the wind protection that is the biggest 'hit'

Right from the get go, we have tried to make all these fairings easy to fit and use. The original XS could be fitted in about 15mins. In the case of the twin headlight models, there is a little bit more, but nothing 'heavy'.
Everything needed is supplied (except hand tools)

It goes like this :

1) Unplug and remove OEM indicators
2) Remove the OEM fairing via the 3 phillips machine screws
3) Remove small indicator support arms from the headlight frame and the plastic cover behind the headlight.
4) Unplug and Remove OEM headlight via the two bolts that hold it on each side
5) Remove rubber rubber bushes that the two bolts went through.
6) Remove Seat and Gas tank.

Looking from the front of the bike, you now have to two OEM headlight support bars pointing out at you. Unfortunately, these are the only OEM parts that get in the way of the lights and so the ends of these have to be either cut of with a hack saw, or bent outwards to allow the rear of the twin lights to fit between. This is easily done with a pair of vice grips (or pliers) as the metal is very soft.

The fairing comes straight out of the box with the lights and sliding screen prefitted and full instructions.

Fitting the fairing

1) Fit Fuse/Relay panel (one bolt - supplied) and run power wire alongside OEM wiring loom to battery and attach to terminals.
2) Plug 3 prong fitting straight into OEM headlight plug (unplugged from back of headlight earlier) .
3) Fit indicators (OEM or aftermarket) into pre drilled holes on each side of fairing.
4) Fit fairing using the OEM philips machine screws (removed earlier) in the same locations as the OEM fairing.
5) plug in the lights and fit fuse in panel.
6) Adjust lights using the adjusting screws at the back of the lights (bit fiddly !)
7) Re plug in indicators.
8) Replace tank and seat.
9) Adjust screen to suitable height.

GO RIDING !!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #160
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Hi Ian,

How much room is there behind the dash? Do you have a picture with the panel removed? I realize the area behind it is taped and probably not the easiest to measure.

Thanks!
It depends whether you're going for the 'full dash' (and replacing the OEM Clocks). If you look at the photo of the full dash, it's basically totally clear behind it. So, at the bottom it's about 10" tapering away to nothing at the top where the dash meets the top of the fairing. I'll be taking pics of the penel with the fairing off, but it doesn't really give you much idea without the fairing in place
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #161
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,028
Hmmmmm,

I know it will only be a matter of time before someone around here does a write up on it.

Sounds good..

I am going to have to see how everyone else fairs with the fairing. Sorry, couldn't resist that....

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #162
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
I'm going to buy one, but it'll take a bit- have to get caught up on some bills and such first.

PM forthcoming, Ian...
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #163
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
It depends whether you're going for the 'full dash' (and replacing the OEM Clocks). If you look at the photo of the full dash, it's basically totally clear behind it. So, at the bottom it's about 10" tapering away to nothing at the top where the dash meets the top of the fairing. I'll be taking pics of the penel with the fairing off, but it doesn't really give you much idea without the fairing in place
Yes, full dash. The stock guages all ready hit the round file.

I'm wanting to sink a GPS and a radio face plate into the dash. How far (horizontally) between the mounting screws?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...ive/iWAY-600C/

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #164
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Yes, full dash. The stock guages all ready hit the round file.

I'm wanting to sink a GPS and a radio face plate into the dash. How far (horizontally) between the mounting screws?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...ive/iWAY-600C/

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0
Yikes !!

I remeasured the depth and thre's only 7.5" right across (not 10 ), but it's still enough for the radio as long as the wires don't poke out too far at the back. The GPS has to be as far down as shown in order to sink in 2", but it does mean you could surface mount your Digital speed/ODO etc above it.

The support bars do get in the way of the GPS, but if you're going to get one, we can make up an alternative arrangement to allow it to fit .

You'll still have room for some switches/clock etc (just !)

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 05:54 PM
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #165
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
I know it will only be a matter of time before someone around here does a write up on it.

Sounds good..

I am going to have to see how everyone else fairs with the fairing. Sorry, couldn't resist that....
Hondo (KLR World.com) will be doing a full test review on both the Phoenix twin and the XS Twin in May. His evaluations are very professional and thorough, so you should get a good idea from that. Others may post up before that as the first Phoenix twins go out next week.