Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #226
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64rovr
Awesome! I can't wait to see it. ETA?
Prototype pics around the end of this month, with availability sometime in late JULY.

Ian
Old 06-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #227
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Yep, I have an HID unit here, but there is a problem. Hella (and numerous other well known brands) warn that fitting HID bulbs not designed for the headlamp means that the light is often not focused correctly and tends to 'scatter' the light in all directions, blinding other drivers. At first, I thought this was just a way to get you to buy their HID (very expensive), so I ignored it and got a cheaper bulb. Unfortunately, they were correct on this occasion, so I'm looking for another source at the moment.

Ian
Yup. A little scatter is a good thing IMO for being seen (especially during the day) but you can definitely get too much of a good thing in this case.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #228
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

New fairing for TE610 and others

After a few weeks testing, we are happy with our Prototype (shown here) and will be creating the tooling for the production versions. Unlike the previous models for the KLR, we decided on a 'steering' based fairing for lightness, simplicity & cost.

The fairing retains our commitment to facilitating a variable/ slide away screen (for off road), excellent lighting and a dash capable of housing GPS etc.

Unlike other fork mounted systems (which we don't like!), the Carbon fibre dash becomes part of the mounting structure, providing a veally solid, yet light mounting system.

We are particularly pleased with wind protection provided by the screen, despite being a smaller item than on our other fairings. Highway speeds of 90 mph with one hand on the handlebars is easy. We are also pleased that the additional size of the unit (over stock) doesn't increase steering 'feel' in the slow tight stuff.

The fairing will be available for most DS bikes including KTM's, BMW X-Challenge/Country, XL 650's, DR 650's etc and in various colors.

HID versions will also be available for those wanting even more light and/or have low output electrical systems.

Availability will be end of Aug for the Husky's, with other versions coming on stream in the fall.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:55 PM
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #229
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

View from the cockpit.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:53 PM
Old 07-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #230
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 865
Sweet, I'll take my dr650 fairing now thank you, white or blue, your choice

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #231
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
Sweet, I'll take my dr650 fairing now thank you, white or blue, your choice
You'll have to wait a little bit longer.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:53 PM
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #232
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 865
I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #233
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,502
xs fairing on a dr650 I need to work on aligning it a litte bit more, but over all I really like it

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #234
64rovr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I'm ready to buy a DR fairing as well, in black and with HID's please.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #235
MEK
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Another XR650L owner watching closely. Shame I just bought a new gas tank, I would have liked to match it to your product offering. I think the big money bikes will be the DRZ400 and the KLR, but considering the XL650R has been unchanged forever I can hope.
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #236
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,197
Thanks Ian, got mine from you the other day (Black KLR in Ottawa). First ride in the rain with it and damn...no more stinging needles in the face with my mx helmet on. Looks great, easy install, delivered quickly, all around happy with the purchase (quality, etc). Oh ya I have a buddy with a xr650l, any dates yet?
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #237
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Thanks Ian, got mine from you the other day (Black KLR in Ottawa). First ride in the rain with it and damn...no more stinging needles in the face with my mx helmet on. Looks great, easy install, delivered quickly, all around happy with the purchase (quality, etc). Oh ya I have a buddy with a xr650l, any dates yet?
Pics!!
Propfrwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #238
stiingya
whats a n00b?

Oddometer: 74
Great that you had the percevierance to keep working on this despite some fairly harsh critiques early on!!! Good on ya...

Bout time somebody put out a nicer looking and improved fairing for the KLR. My brother bought his KLR last year and couldn't believe that there wasn't something already out there considering the amount of aftermarket support the bike has.

I should preface my remarks by saying the "new" sportbike-ish looking fairings on the new KLR's have been growing on me... the more I see them the more I like them...

But what IDIOT at Kawasaki had the lame idea to to throw ninja headlights on a dual purpose bike??? I assume they were chasing Weestrom sales, but they sure did a weird style thing on that bike???

I like your fairing MUUUUUUUCH BETTA... especialy the twin's.

I had hoped the minimal KLR reinvestment was because they were going to come out with a new KLX650, or maybe a dirt orientated Versys based bike? But I aint heard nothin...

At any rate, hope to see a DRZ fit option for the mini fairing your putting out...

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #239
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
xs fairing on a dr650 I need to work on aligning it a litte bit more, but over all I really like it

Nice job on the DR John ! I see you've got a different screen on your 'twin'. Is it better with the lip at the top?

Ian
Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #240
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiingya
Great that you had the percevierance to keep working on this despite some fairly harsh critiques early on!!! Good on ya...

Bout time somebody put out a nicer looking and improved fairing for the KLR. My brother bought his KLR last year and couldn't believe that there wasn't something already out there considering the amount of aftermarket support the bike has.

I should preface my remarks by saying the "new" sportbike-ish looking fairings on the new KLR's have been growing on me... the more I see them the more I like them...

But what IDIOT at Kawasaki had the lame idea to to throw ninja headlights on a dual purpose bike??? I assume they were chasing Weestrom sales, but they sure did a weird style thing on that bike???

I like your fairing MUUUUUUUCH BETTA... especialy the twin's.

I had hoped the minimal KLR reinvestment was because they were going to come out with a new KLX650, or maybe a dirt orientated Versys based bike? But I aint heard nothin...

At any rate, hope to see a DRZ fit option for the mini fairing your putting out...

Thanks
Funny you mention the "08 KLR. You might recall that when I did the original 'concept KLR' for the '07 Vancouver M/C show, it happened to be the '08's first public viewing. People were pretty shocked when they saw the two of them side by side ! One had clearly headed the design towards the street and the other (fitted with knobbies, WP front forks, black rims and the prototype XS fairing) clearly headed in the other direction !!!