User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #631
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
New Mirage 1 BMW G650GS fairing from Britannia

I just spotted this new faring for the G650 GS from Britannia Composites called the Mirage 1.

It says:
We've now completed a new fairing for this iconic bike. I don't know why we took so long to do this, because it really transforms the bike on the highway and certainly changes the look.

The Fairing is a very easy instal, simply ataching to the four OEM screen holes. AS usual, we have given it a dashboard for your GPS and other 'gadgets' and the sliding screen system comes from the Lynx fairing to keep the cost down. It works really well and will be available in a couple of weeks. Cost is $330 USD/CAD. Here's some pics

Thread's over here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...321586&page=42

I don't have one of these but I've seen lot's around and I know Britannia's windscreen system works well as I've had it on a KLR and now on my F8GS.

Dave
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #632
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Damn that's fucking ugly !

When I wrote them last spring about a fairing for my Dakar I was thinking more along the lines of the Lynx fairing. They said they might be looking into a fairing for the 650 GS line in the fall, which they've apparently done..... but seriously .... that's one ugly piece of aftermarked fairing

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #633
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
That is so ugly I strongly suspect BMW designed it themselves.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #634
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
have to admit i agree, but not as ugly as the klr fairing.

seem have huge fan base and people love them for the klr but i am not so sure i would like on at all.

still atleast someone is starting to make fairings for them if people want them
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #635
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,300
Yikes!

Never mind the fact that you won't see the front tire on a trail at slow speeds (the 1st gear, clutching it sections).
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #636
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Yikes!

Never mind the fact that you won't see the front tire on a trail at slow speeds (the 1st gear, clutching it sections).
why in the heck would you look at the front tire while moving?

One a more serious note, that is about the worst designed set-up for a G650GS windshield/fairing I've seen. I've had more then one 650GS single through our shop with damage to the cluster and windshield mount do to a small fall over with the stock windshield. With this fairing pictured the stock mounts wouldn't stand a chance in the event of any kind of impact and you'd be left not only fixing the aftermarket fairing but the OEM mounting frame and such.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #637
JimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Uglier than a mud fence in a rain storm. Is it functional?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #638
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
Uglier than a mud fence in a rain storm. Is it functional?
I guess the opinions on looks seem pretty unanamous ! I guess we can't win 'em all !

I'm a bit surprised, because the guys who saw the fairing being fitted to the bike in the store really thought it looked so much better than the stock set up. But there it is and beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc..

In any event we will be doing some much better photos than those that were taken that day and maybe you guys might see it differently (and maybe not !)

To add a bit about the design. Whilst it is by far the simplest fairing we have ever done, it was actually the hardest to design ! (Why did you bother, I hear you say !). The OEM headlight unit is without doubt very dated and very ugly. All attempts at making a screen for this bike are also very ugly and also either don't work on road, or off, or both. So we started out working with a more modern 'sharper' looking design, but the problem was that it simply didn't suit the bikes more dated rounded lines. So gradually it got more rounded. As I said, it looks much more like it's an OEM part when you see it for real.

Anyway, onto the practical bit. The point about the anchoring of the fairing to the OEM mounting points is valid, although it's not quite like it appears. The dashboard part has a 'floor' that matches exactly to the unusual shape of the OEM top surface. This means that the whole assemply sits on a big surface area giving a much greater support to the bolts. In fact it looks like that if there was a nasty get off, the fairing would not break away and would probably rip the whole light assembly off. When it comes to durability, I'm only aware of one of our fairings breaking and the guy was in hospital from the crash for so long, replacement was irrelevent !

The sliding screen system comes straight of our Lynx fairings and works particularly well on this bike. For independent views on the effectiveness of this system, you could get opinions from guys with Lynx fairings who have been using it for 3 years now.

And finally the dash part. It's always a feature of our fairings to have the GPS (and other switchgear) up front in the field of vison. I guess we just don't like having the GPS anywhere else !

So, in answer to the question, you might think it's ugly, but it may be the most functional unit ever created for this bike yet.

Ian
Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #639
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I'll reserve judgment on the looks of the thing until I see more pictures, but I'm afraid it's purely an academic exercise for me at this point. If you have a first generation F650GS, it has a three bolt pattern and not a four bolt pattern for the windscreen attachment. Therefore whether this looks good or not I can't use it.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #640
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,416
can you not use a drill then jd

Can't see clearly from those pics but it looks like the bolts are hidden from view, if they are who's going to see three more holes that you cannot see once it's fitted

Also from that angle it look damn ugly, need more pics from different angles and at a better resolution

Could you humour us lot ian, at the moment there's not a lot of options for gps mounting on the 650 apart from bar mounts which i hate with a vengance even tho i have to use one at the moment. And i would really like a little more dash space, at the moment i'm considering going to a trailtech unit just so i can get the gps off the bars.

If more pics show it in a better light you may have some purchases

Perhaps you should have stuck your head in the either the f650 or the dakar thread before commiting ian, some more input from a wide base of 650 riders may have helped with the initial reaction you are getting now.

rc mad screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 10:41 AM
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #641
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

I found a picture from when they were prototyping it.

notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #642
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
I found a picture from when they were prototyping it.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #643
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
can you not use a drill then jd

Can't see clearly from those pics but it looks like the bolts are hidden from view, if they are who's going to see three more holes that you cannot see once it's fitted

Also from that angle it look damn ugly, need more pics from different angles and at a better resolution

Could you humour us lot ian, at the moment there's not a lot of options for gps mounting on the 650 apart from bar mounts which i hate with a vengance even tho i have to use one at the moment. And i would really like a little more dash space, at the moment i'm considering going to a trailtech unit just so i can get the gps off the bars.

If more pics show it in a better light you may have some purchases

Perhaps you should have stuck your head in the either the f650 or the dakar thread before commiting ian, some more input from a wide base of 650 riders may have helped with the initial reaction you are getting now.
I know this probably sounds odd considering the comments above, but everyone who has seen it for real, has given it the real thumbs up, with comments like "at last, a proper solution to the highway blues" etc.

Perhaps it sums it up when I mentioned to someone (that has seen it) about the comments on the looks and he said " thank God you're better at designing fairings than you are at photography !! Keep to the day Job !"

Anyway, there will be more photos soon, because I only had the opportunity to use that brand new black bike for a short while before it was sold.

In the meantime, here's another awfull photo of the ugly duckling for you amusement !
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #644
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
I know this probably sounds odd considering the comments above, but everyone who has seen it for real, has given it the real thumbs up, with comments like "at last, a proper solution to the highway blues" etc.

Perhaps it sums it up when I mentioned to someone (that has seen it) about the comments on the looks and he said " thank God you're better at designing fairings than you are at photography !! Keep to the day Job !"

Anyway, there will be more photos soon, because I only had the opportunity to use that brand new black bike for a short while before it was sold.

In the meantime, here's another awfull photo of the ugly duckling for you amusement !
I would say that most people don't like it because it doesn't look like it belongs on this bike. The lines are much harder than the stock fairing and body lines. And myself, I would question the gap between the Lexan and the fairing itself. It seems that it would shoot a stream of wind right into your face from below when cruising at speed.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #645
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post

i didn't buy this bike for its looks anyway.

to me it's starting to look better in the lastest pic, and i think it'll go just fine with my tt twin headlight setup, perhaps it's the angle combined with swamp gas or something j/k

This is probablly the first decent aftermarket fairing available for the 650's some other companys make screens but as far as i know no one makes anything like this. notmybike is going to, but they probably won't be suited to most 650's without drastic weight reductions