Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #946
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkappius View Post
Thats what I'm expecting too, Ian had been very responsive. But I contacted him first on Saturday about this and still no response. Probably away having fun.
Check your spam Rus ! I've sent you a couple of emails and a voicemail. I'm working hard all the time - honestly

Cheers Ian
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #947
WoodRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkappius View Post
I've mounted up my new Lynx with HID on my sparkly new 690 Enduro R, but the HIDs won't stay on. The low beam fires, flickers for a few seconds and then goes out. High beam same deal.

Neat observation is that my ABS light is on now, but I haven't had a chance to ride it since I got it from the dealer a week ago. 27 total miles, stuck-on ABS light, non-functioning headlights.

Anybody have suggestions on what to check on the headlight front? Emails to Ian and the Brittania site have gone unanswered.
I also just ordered my faring from Ian and was wondering how you made out with your problem my bike is same as yours 2014 690. Did you solve it? Any thing I should be aware of?

Thanks
WoodRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #948
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodRider View Post
I also just ordered my faring from Ian and was wondering how you made out with your problem my bike is same as yours 2014 690. Did you solve it? Any thing I should be aware of?

Thanks
We made contact after the email issues got sorted and I think the HID problem turned out to be bad bulbs, which were replaced. Not totally unheard of, but very rare to have both bad from the get go. Email sent re indicator relocation on the 2014 690, but for the benefit of anyone reading the thread, the best thing is to buy the KTM part from the 450/530 EXC's which is called "Flasher bracket EXC", part # 78014033000 and should cost around $27

Ian
Old 04-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #949
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
mount lights on fairing?

Hi Ian, have your Lynx on my 690. Adding additional lights to make me more visible in daytime. I have the mondomoto mm10 bullets in hand. They are small and relatively light. Is it a bad idea to mount these on your fairing?

It seems to me that one's visibility is best when the light sources are farther separated. Without making the aux lights really vulnerable that doesn't seem to be an option without using the handlebars and that isn't going to happen. Do you have an opinion about separation and visibility?

Thanks!

Chris
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #950
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislitt View Post
Hi Ian, have your Lynx on my 690. Adding additional lights to make me more visible in daytime. I have the mondomoto mm10 bullets in hand. They are small and relatively light. Is it a bad idea to mount these on your fairing?

It seems to me that one's visibility is best when the light sources are farther separated. Without making the aux lights really vulnerable that doesn't seem to be an option without using the handlebars and that isn't going to happen. Do you have an opinion about separation and visibility?

Thanks!

Chris
I think you've got it figured out ! There's certainly no problem mounting them to the fairing ( and powering them from the Lynx wiring harness), but you are right that further apart is the most effective location from a visibility standpoint. In fact the best layout for visibility is to have one central lamp and two outside lights mounted lower, so they are in a triangle. This is a bit like Train lighting and perhaps it catches drivers eyes because they think it's a train !!!

So, on that basis, I would try and mount them somewhere off the bottom triple clamp as wide as you dare, without them being vulnerable in a fall. Actually, that area isn't too bad from a damage standpoint, because the bars stop the bike lying down. In fact if you were to lay the bike on it's side, you will get an idea of how wide you can go before the lights would strike the ground.

Hope this helps !

Ian
Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #951
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
I think you've got it figured out ! There's certainly no problem mounting them to the fairing ( and powering them from the Lynx wiring harness), but you are right that further apart is the most effective location from a visibility standpoint. In fact the best layout for visibility is to have one central lamp and two outside lights mounted lower, so they are in a triangle. This is a bit like Train lighting and perhaps it catches drivers eyes because they think it's a train !!!

So, on that basis, I would try and mount them somewhere off the bottom triple clamp as wide as you dare, without them being vulnerable in a fall. Actually, that area isn't too bad from a damage standpoint, because the bars stop the bike lying down. In fact if you were to lay the bike on it's side, you will get an idea of how wide you can go before the lights would strike the ground.

Hope this helps !

Ian
It does help a great deal. I have lower triple clamp mounts coming and will use those to create the best triangle. Thanks for your thoughts!
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #952
incudie
DVNO

Oddometer: 16
Hi Ian,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I was hoping to get your advice on my install. I purchased a 2013 KTM 690 on the used market recently and it included a (disconnected) Lynx fairing. I finally managed to get it wired up but was having a few issues.

* Is the wiring suppose to be exposed? I couldn't imagine that this is right. It's possible I am missing a component, would you be willing to sell any missing components/screws/mounts?

* The high beam remains on constantly and the high beam switch only affects the timed relay and low beam HID. I've tried every combination of wiring I can think of but have been unable to fix this (replaced wiring harness, relays, diode, etc). Do you know if anything changed on the later KTM 690 models that would affect this?

* I feel like there is a bracket missing as the high beam points low towards the ground. Does this look right?

* Last bit was on the throttle cables, are they suppose to go over the instrument panel?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim
incudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #953
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by incudie View Post
Hi Ian,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I was hoping to get your advice on my install. I purchased a 2013 KTM 690 on the used market recently and it included a (disconnected) Lynx fairing. I finally managed to get it wired up but was having a few issues.

* Is the wiring suppose to be exposed? I couldn't imagine that this is right. It's possible I am missing a component, would you be willing to sell any missing components/screws/mounts?

* The high beam remains on constantly and the high beam switch only affects the timed relay and low beam HID. I've tried every combination of wiring I can think of but have been unable to fix this (replaced wiring harness, relays, diode, etc). Do you know if anything changed on the later KTM 690 models that would affect this?

* I feel like there is a bracket missing as the high beam points low towards the ground. Does this look right?

* Last bit was on the throttle cables, are they suppose to go over the instrument panel?

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim
There isn't a specific 'cover' to hide the wiring inside the fairing, but what you have there does look like a bit of a 'birds nest'. I would advise a good sort out in there and strap up most of the loose wiring that's on show.

First, make sure there is an understanding of which is the high beam and this is often confused. The High beam is the one where you can see the bulb through the lens and is mounted on the right in the direction of travel. If this lamp is staying on ( and not the low beam ), then switch over the feeds to the bulbs. The low beam should come on 10 seconds after you have turned on the ignition and should be adjusted with the headlight adjuster screws so that it's flat horizontal beam is just below level with the lamp when measured with the light shining against a wall ( with you sat on it )

The cables do run over the speedo and this is a bit annoying, but is also the same as the OEM setup. Some guys do a complete reroute of their front brake cable so that it doesn't come up to the dash at all. I'm not sure what they do, but it's a well known 'mod' in the 690 world and I think is how it's routed on KTM's rally bikes. You'll have to search this mod out on in the forums.

If none of this solves the problems, then email me britanniacomposites@shaw.ca and we'll need to correspond with close up pics of what is going on behind the fairing.

Ian
Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #954
incudie
DVNO

Oddometer: 16
Ian,

The feedback and clarification is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tim
incudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #955
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Hey Ian! I'm looking at getting another one of the Lynx fairings for our new DRZ400 (swapping over a yellow SM bike to all white), and was wondering if you could do, or are doing, reflective decals? Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #956
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Hey Ian! I'm looking at getting another one of the Lynx fairings for our new DRZ400 (swapping over a yellow SM bike to all white), and was wondering if you could do, or are doing, reflective decals? Thanks!!
A few guys have done some reflective decals for their bikes, but unfortunately ours come in bulk, so we can't easily do one offs. It's probably easier/cheaper for you to get them done locally to you. Interestingly, we have found the side decals much less popular since we changed the look of the Lynx a year ago. It seems the 'plain' look is more popular, particularly on the all white and all black bikes.

Glad you liked the Lynx you had enough to want another.

Cheers Ian
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 AM   #957
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
How do wind protection and stability at speed compare with the Lynx and the Phoenix? I've got an old model KLR I'd like to spruce up with one of your fairings, but most of my driving is highway miles so it'd be silly to go with the Lynx if the Phoenix was a much better fit.

The new KLR one won't be compatible with the old KLR will it?
Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #958
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiventure View Post
How do wind protection and stability at speed compare with the Lynx and the Phoenix? I've got an old model KLR I'd like to spruce up with one of your fairings, but most of my driving is highway miles so it'd be silly to go with the Lynx if the Phoenix was a much better fit.

The new KLR one won't be compatible with the old KLR will it?
The Phoenix is specifically made for the older model KLR, so whilst the wind protection is similar, I would get the Phoenix whilst it is still available. I say 'still' , because the mould is coming to the end of it's life, so will be discontinued at the end of the summer, although parts will be available in future.

We really wanted to create a 'Phoenix' style for the newer model, but it just worked out too expensive. This is why we made up a Lynx kit that will actually fit both models for the future.

Cheers Ian
Old 06-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #959
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
The Phoenix is specifically made for the older model KLR, so whilst the wind protection is similar, I would get the Phoenix whilst it is still available. I say 'still' , because the mould is coming to the end of it's life, so will be discontinued at the end of the summer, although parts will be available in future.

We really wanted to create a 'Phoenix' style for the newer model, but it just worked out too expensive. This is why we made up a Lynx kit that will actually fit both models for the future.

Cheers Ian
Interesting. I'm still a bit undecided (there's a piece of me that thinks the Lynx looks better), but I'm leaning towards the Pheonix on your advice. If I was going that way it'd seem silly not to upgrade the headlights at the same time, so I was thinking about the HID kit too. One of my mechanic friends was really down on HIDs on bikes. I assume you considered LED, what pushed HID for you? Are failures expected?

Thanks,
Adi
Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #960
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Here is another option to consider if you don't like the Lynx and think it might be a little flimsy and not quite durable enough... this is my 2014 690 Enduro.

I just installed the Highway Dirtbikes Rallye Lite fairing with a prototype computer mount - big thanks to Paul, kit is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

More pics and details at http://therosshallproject.blogspot.com/

EPMD
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote