User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
VARider67 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Shifter Lever on DR650

So I have a completely stock DR 650. I've been riding with boots that don't really have any protection so I bought a nice pair of riding boots. These boots are thicker and I am having problems shifting now. My boot seems to get get wedged in between the foot peg and shifter on up-shifts and I have to remove my foot from the peg to pull it out. I tried adjusting the lever up one tooth but that is way too high. Works OK for up-shifts but not for down shifting. It seems like distance between the foot peg and the shifter is too close. Any suggestions for a noob like me? Maybe a different shift lever? The boots are still stiff but I think even after they loosing up it will still be a problem. At some point I do want to lower the foot pegs and even possibly install some Pivot Pegs. I think this will help but that's a project for this winter. As it stands, shifting is uncomfortable. Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
probably not what you want to hear, but the procycle lowered pegs took care of that problem for me.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
VARider67 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks geek, that's what I figured but was hoping to hold off on the foot pegs for a while but if that is the best solution it may need to happen sooner. Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
New riding boots can be very stiff, try walking in them for a while. Also it can be difficult to adapt to riding with stiff boots. I generally do not put my whole foot under the shifter, I use more the side of my foot to shift. Keep walking in the boots and keep riding, you'll work it out soon. Unless you have overly large feet, then you may need to make some changes.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote