User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #1591
RogerThat
Old Guy Adventure Videos

Oddometer: 159
New Project-My Wifes New NX

My wife has always wanted a NX250 ever sence she rode mine. So the other day I came across this beauty. It will need a lot of elbow grease but it most all there.
The big problem now is to wash off all of the flat black primer. The entire bike frame is flat black. All of the plactic is painted with Bed Liner from a can. Nasty stuff to get off.
The left and right side plastic have been sanded and are ready for the cracks to be weled. The rest of the parts will be ready this week, that is if I have the time to do the sanding.

This side of the frame has been cleaned the other side is still black.

Bed Liner from a SPRAY CAN-what will they think of next.

My Wife has already choosen the color-House Of Kolors-Persimmon Pearl.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #1592
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Nice I have seen one in red before and it looks great.

CHEERS!
racingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #1593
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Uboatin' It, awesome pic
thanks for that Purzell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purzell
As you know, I sold my NX. A nice guy bought it and some of us went dual sport riding this weekend. Thought you might enjoy this photo. The water was deep! The NX did great. The TW is a better bike for me but it's fun to see the NX out there making this guy happy.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #1594
ArthDuro
quarantined

Roger I cannot wait to see what you will do with this one.
Red will be yummy
+ momento mori +
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #1595
Sinan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhw1179
Finally got the clutch spanner tool, got the clutch off, swapped the plates, put it all back together, put it on the bike, but now I have no clue how tight to tighten the clutch springs down. The service manual doesn't say. Can someone give me an answer or point me in the right direction? Thanks
Yes,there is no information about this on the manual however.

As the spring bolts are M6,you can tighten them with 12 Nm torque.I've done so,no problem.
Sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #1596
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy
My problem I guess is finding a shop that can or will do it. Anyone have any recommendations for the Southern California area?

Ratch
04 DL650
88 NX250
I can't give any recommendations, but there should be tons of choices seeings how SoCal is full of automotive and machine shops.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #1597
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingwoody
All this was to make room for the tool box.

That's awesome, Woody. I've got something like that in mind, only I want it to be a fuel cell. I want to make it look like a faux can...

Then guy's 'll look at it and go, "sweat! dual exhaust!"

...and I'll be like, "no, just 250 miles before I have to refuel"
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #1598
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thanks, I have a spare exhaust I was going to try and make into the box but just figured the hassle wasn't worth it. Then I was going to have one of my buddies airbrush the exhaust tip on it to give it the same effect, i just aven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted the dual exhaust look as well. I love the look on the NX650 and BMW F650GS

CHEERS!
racingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #1599
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
project bike

Hey guys,
I haven't been keeping up with this thread since selling my last NX250 a long time ago. I have owned three but all have been in near mint condition. I just picked up this 88 and although it has very low miles it needs lots of attention. Already found several "jackass shade tree mechanic" issues and sloppy repairs but that was to be expected.

It runs poor and am assuming the valves need adjusting and the rear shock is as expected, useless. Other than the Works Shock ( $?) is there any other shock swap from another model that doesn't require elimnating the airbox?

Thanks,

mas335 screwed with this post 10-02-2010 at 03:51 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #1600
drexNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy
I have a pretty bad rear shock on the one I have (it may be the least of my worries compared to my top end problem). My plastic is mostly gone anyway so I have no problem modifying thing for function over form. I do not have any machining or metal working skills though, so did your shock just bolt onto the existing mounts. I usually end up with pod air filters anyway. That is what ended up happening to my Buell also.

Ratch
88 NX-250
you need to grind 2.5mm off of each side of the top mount, and round out the bottom clevis but other then that it bolts up. (assuming no airbox)

here are some finished pics

you need to make a mudguard and battery holder, but those are easy to make
drexNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #1601
drexNX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
any shock that fits these dimensions should work:
drexNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #1602
Zetsumei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
70 MPH Wind gusts?

Well, I live in southern Nevada and it can get stinkin' WINDY here. A few days ago we had some supposedly 70 mph gusts of wind. When I came out in the morning my NX250 had BLOWN OVER! Some how it appears to have managed to land directly on the throttle side of the handlebar. It bent the handle bar pretty good but there doesn't appear to be any other damage. I'm glad it was a direct hit to the handle bar because I'm sure my body panel would shatter under any real impact. It's pretty brittle :(

Well I'm on my way to a friends place. He's a welder and says he can just heat it up and bend it back. Wish me luck!
Zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #1603
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
hmmm....odd that...

What makes a bike stall after coming off full throttle on the hwy for some time?

I've been doing some frequent 90milers here lately, and say I'm running full blast, I go to let off, and the bike jerks the snot out of me. It's stalling, but immediately re-firing from the false jumpstart.

And, here lately, I've been getting some spark knocking.The bike runs EXCELLENT, but sometimes, some loads, it spark knocks.

I mostly run Shell 91 but sometimes it seems like it's TOO high. I sometimes run mid grade, and it's not as powerful, but an almost broader, smoother powerband.

Timing? Never set the timing on a bike before? Easy? Hard?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #1604
ArthDuro
quarantined

I know how that feels, I talked about it in one of my reports.
I was able to bend mine back with shear force, later I got new stronger handlebars.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei
Well, I live in southern Nevada and it can get stinkin' WINDY here. A few days ago we had some supposedly 70 mph gusts of wind. When I came out in the morning my NX250 had BLOWN OVER! Some how it appears to have managed to land directly on the throttle side of the handlebar. It bent the handle bar pretty good but there doesn't appear to be any other damage. I'm glad it was a direct hit to the handle bar because I'm sure my body panel would shatter under any real impact. It's pretty brittle :(

Well I'm on my way to a friends place. He's a welder and says he can just heat it up and bend it back. Wish me luck!
+ momento mori +
Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #1605
ArthDuro
quarantined

Not sure whats up there
I run 93 octane in mine, and the bike loves it.
When I get anything less it seems like I actually lost power.
Never running anything less then 91 in my bike. High compression engines like high octane fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
What makes a bike stall after coming off full throttle on the hwy for some time?

I've been doing some frequent 90milers here lately, and say I'm running full blast, I go to let off, and the bike jerks the snot out of me. It's stalling, but immediately re-firing from the false jumpstart.

And, here lately, I've been getting some spark knocking.The bike runs EXCELLENT, but sometimes, some loads, it spark knocks.

I mostly run Shell 91 but sometimes it seems like it's TOO high. I sometimes run mid grade, and it's not as powerful, but an almost broader, smoother powerband.

Timing? Never set the timing on a bike before? Easy? Hard?
+ momento mori +