ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #2401
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,858
I edited it. They are NOT the same...


but I'm gonna keep hunting for some anyway...

In my mind if you can find the stiffer springs and only the length is the difference, you can cut them to length... But do it cold b/c heat would take the temper out of the steel...


or am I missing something?
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #2402
wolfy317
Beemer lover
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
Put me down for everything else...

I *NEED* the fairings, HL and HL mount...

Don't forget that I reported the plastics largely shot. Just fair warning. If this happens I'll take the rear shock and the right side footpeg frame as mentioned earlier.
__________________
FLICKR

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #2403
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317
Don't forget that I reported the plastics largely shot. Just fair warning. If this happens I'll take the rear shock and the right side footpeg frame as mentioned earlier.


Copy that. Something is better than nothing... And if I Ebay buy the 2 parts I need most, I'll be over budget than if I just drive down and get this...

plus, I need some plastics to play with. I want to see if I can make them.

And if I can get in the shop, I'll take pics of the SV shock I've got on my parts bike. It's got gobs more rebound (and bump for that matter) than my stock NX shot...er, shock...

It does make the bike free stand at full droop though. I plan on looking to see if it can be mounted lower, and compare the length to the stock shock.

You WILL need stiffer springs if you put this shock on. It'll be cream on the front and like a real bike on the rear...
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #2404
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFAULT
I have installed the Works rear shock on my NX250 and have after much fiddling come to the conclusion that the front end is not up to par now with the rear. I have tried stiffer springs, more preload, thicker fork oil and it will not handle the sharp hits I give it on my trail here in the rockies. So I have found a 1995 xr250 front end for cheap. I will let you all know how it goes.
Assfault


Are you still around? Or did you sell the bike...
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #2405
captdirt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 32
Seat lock cover

Got mine from Service Honda, $11.25 plus shipping. They have had everything I've needed so far.
captdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #2406
wolfy317
Beemer lover
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
Copy that. Something is better than nothing... And if I Ebay buy the 2 parts I need most, I'll be over budget than if I just drive down and get this...

plus, I need some plastics to play with. I want to see if I can make them.

And if I can get in the shop, I'll take pics of the SV shock I've got on my parts bike. It's got gobs more rebound (and bump for that matter) than my stock NX shot...er, shock...

It does make the bike free stand at full droop though. I plan on looking to see if it can be mounted lower, and compare the length to the stock shock.

You WILL need stiffer springs if you put this shock on. It'll be cream on the front and like a real bike on the rear...

I don't know what plastic parts you'll need, but I just bit the bullet and bought some "like new" plastics from france. My tank sides are in OK shape, but are missing the tabs to mount the cowl. My right side plastic tail pipe cover seems to be in excellent shape, and since I am replacing those, you can have them cheap once my others arrive.

As for the sv shock....it sounds interesting....I guess I could try out the progressive springs and a thicker oil, or try finding the same diameter spring and try and cut it to length. I'm definitely open to beefing up the suspension as I ain't a little fella, but after buying the plastics, getting a works shock is not gonna fly with the wife or the pocket book
__________________
FLICKR

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #2407
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,858
SV shock

I passed on one for $35, and don't think I'll do it again...


Anyway... I don't know anything in particular about it. All I know is I have one, mounted on a non-running bike I have.


There is a beautiful detailed pic of an NX shock on a bench, but I can't find it.

I'm almost sure it was posted by Drex, or Arth... but I can't find it. I'm pretty sure it's either 320mm or 330...but I cant recall for sure.

Here are some lengths of different SV shocks:


00-03 GSXR750 325mm 400#

01-03 GSXR600 325.5mm 450# *corrected by TWF...thanks!

01-02 GSXR1000 329.5mm 430#

03-04 SV650 330mm 430# <== stock 2nd gen...05 should be the same

99-03 GSXR1300(Busa) 330mm 700#

04 GSXR750 332.5mm 408#

04 GSXR600 332.5mm 425#

03-04 GSXR1000 332.5mm 480#

99-02 SV650 337mm 510# <<<====stock 1st gen

04 ZX10R 338mm 540#

03-04 ZX6R(636) 340mm 540# *corrected by e lo...thanks!
96-99 GSXR750 345mm 375#

97-00 GSXR600 375mm 375#

05 GSX-R 1000 332.5mm 450# <<<===added by me...spring rate from racetech.com, length from ohlins.com



Via, http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/for...howtopic=24967
(not claiming credit)


__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #2408
ravenranger
rave
 
ravenranger's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: az
Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
I edited it. They are NOT the same...


but I'm gonna keep hunting for some anyway...

In my mind if you can find the stiffer springs and only the length is the difference, you can cut them to length... But do it cold b/c heat would take the temper out of the steel...


or am I missing something?
Only that cutting the springs shorter causes the ride height to decrease but the effective spring rate to increase?
__________________
1989 NX250
2006 ST1300A
2006 Aprilia Caponord
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #2409
wolfy317
Beemer lover
 
wolfy317's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The Double Humpback
Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger
Only that cutting the springs shorter causes the ride height to decrease but the effective spring rate to increase?

Less of an issues if the springs were too long to begin with as far as ride height, but I'm not sure how much of a rate increase would be present. No physics major here.

What other spring options are out there?
__________________
FLICKR

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #2410
captdirt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 32
SV shock

Attached are a couple of pics of the SV shock swap and where you have to machine (grind) to get the clearance needed. Definitely raised the back of the bike.





captdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #2411
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,858
Captain. Can you drill a new hole and mount the lower link further up?

Or will it interfere?

I'm thinking the lower tab is too much, and I might be able to knock out about 1/4 of height right there.
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #2412
drexNX
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 81
my GSXR shock was the same mods, but I ground the 1/8's off the shock itself instead of the links... its a LOT easier to do.
drexNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #2413
drexNX
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx
SV shock

I passed on one for $35, and don't think I'll do it again...


Anyway... I don't know anything in particular about it. All I know is I have one, mounted on a non-running bike I have.


There is a beautiful detailed pic of an NX shock on a bench, but I can't find it.

I'm almost sure it was posted by Drex, or Arth... but I can't find it. I'm pretty sure it's either 320mm or 330...but I cant recall for sure.

Here are some lengths of different SV shocks:


00-03 GSXR750 325mm 400#

01-03 GSXR600 325.5mm 450# *corrected by TWF...thanks!

01-02 GSXR1000 329.5mm 430#

03-04 SV650 330mm 430# <== stock 2nd gen...05 should be the same

99-03 GSXR1300(Busa) 330mm 700#

04 GSXR750 332.5mm 408#

04 GSXR600 332.5mm 425#

03-04 GSXR1000 332.5mm 480#

99-02 SV650 337mm 510# <<<====stock 1st gen

04 ZX10R 338mm 540#

03-04 ZX6R(636) 340mm 540# *corrected by e lo...thanks!
96-99 GSXR750 345mm 375#

97-00 GSXR600 375mm 375#

05 GSX-R 1000 332.5mm 450# <<<===added by me...spring rate from racetech.com, length from ohlins.com



Via, http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/for...howtopic=24967
(not claiming credit)


would it be this'n?

and heres a GSXR750 shock (on my bike now)
drexNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #2414
captdirt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 32
more sv shock

coming soon
captdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 AM   #2415
captdirt
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 32
more sv shock

still coming
captdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014