Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #5206
NW_Atrocity
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great! Sounds good. Thanks for bein' the guinea pig. Has anybody on here just swapped out the air box for a cone filter? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtW View Post
Don't know if it's much of a plan, but I've got *one* ordered, here in the US. Once we see that it's real, I can figure out shipping costs.

I would assume that somebody in Europe, where the thing is made, is trying something similar.

After finding the best price option, we should be able to assemble a group buy pretty quickly.
NW_Atrocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #5207
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
Nice bike ADVCoot. What front tire is that if you don't mind telling.

Honda Scoot that thing looks ready!
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #5208
bburnette21
Adventure Ready

Oddometer: 172
Problem

I know I'm in the wrong thread but I figured you guys might be able to help. I have a 1988 NX650, when riding on it yesterday for the first time and noticed that sometimes you are going down the road, and give it throttle it acts like it is about to die, but after you give it gas it takes back off normally. It is doing this very often and is kinda a safety issue, and is hindering riding. Has anyone had this same problem? Or have any ideas to help me fix this?

Also, dont know if it matters but the bike came with a Supertrapp pipe installed on it and im wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Thanks
bburnette21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #5209
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bburnette21 View Post
I know I'm in the wrong thread but I figured you guys might be able to help. I have a 1988 NX650, when riding on it yesterday for the first time and noticed that sometimes you are going down the road, and give it throttle it acts like it is about to die, but after you give it gas it takes back off normally. It is doing this very often and is kinda a safety issue, and is hindering riding. Has anyone had this same problem? Or have any ideas to help me fix this?

Also, dont know if it matters but the bike came with a Supertrapp pipe installed on it and im wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Thanks

Maybe you got a batch of bad gas if it just started to do this. Try running some carb. cleaner through it.

If you just got the bike, maybe it was stored with out proper gas treatment, ( Stabil in gas ). That means the carb. could be gummed up.

Vaccum leaks in hoses to carb. or in air filter boot. Just a few things to think about.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #5210
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Maybe you got a batch of bad gas if it just started to do this. Try running some carb. cleaner through it.

If you just got the bike, maybe it was stored with out proper gas treatment, ( Stabil in gas ). That means the carb. could be gummed up.

Vaccum leaks in hoses to carb. or in air filter boot. Just a few things to think about.
i second larry. 1st make sure the gascap vent is clear(blow through it) if your not comfortable pulling your carb apart, try a double dose of seafoam in your gas tank and see if that cleans it up. as soon as it happens(the near die) kill the ignition and look at your spark plug. that will tell you if its flooding and dying. the supertrap is not likely your problem unless the bike backfires under off throttle deceleration. (muffler pop noise when coasting off throttle)
def. sounds like a fuel delivery problem, good luck
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #5211
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,793
Hey, check it...

Distanzia-like tread in a 16. 120/90x16! No 130 (in a 16"), but if it's like the T.W it'll be wide anyway...
(inside link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671097 )

http://veerubberusa.com/motorcycle/v...p?Pname=vrm163

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 07:31 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #5212
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
i second larry. 1st make sure the gascap vent is clear(blow through it) if your not comfortable pulling your carb apart, try a double dose of seafoam in your gas tank and see if that cleans it up. as soon as it happens(the near die) kill the ignition and look at your spark plug. that will tell you if its flooding and dying. the supertrap is not likely your problem unless the bike backfires under off throttle deceleration. (muffler pop noise when coasting off throttle)
def. sounds like a fuel delivery problem, good luck
2nd the seafoam, and remove the lower part of the petcock. there's a little screen in there that could be stopped up.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #5213
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
NX Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Nice bike ADVCoot. What front tire is that if you don't mind telling.
I bought a matching set of tires for my NX250 after I completed the 17" rear wheel swap. The tires are KINGS TIRE brand, Part # KT-963 275-19 - rear tire is a 460S-17, Part # KT-963. I bought these through a local motorcycle accessory dealer. Prices were very reasonable, under $50.00 each. I was very pleased with their performance on my recent North Mississippi Dual-Sport ride last week,

[QUOTE=Honda Scoot;18712303]ADVCoot how are those tires working? That is one clean bike![QUOTE]

I put 187 miles on those new knobby tires last Saturday during the North Mississippi D/S ride, hosted by none other than Sam Correro[TAT originator] and Lake Hill Motors of Corinth, MS. 50% of the remote roads were hard packed gravel, two shallow creek crossings, mile of loose, deep sand and the remainer of the route being asphalt. I was very pleased with the tire performance, even in the sand. Before I loaded it back onto my trailer, I noticed that the tires still looked new with very minimal scuffing on the knobs. I was running 18 psi both front and rear.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen

ADVCoot screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 08:27 AM
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #5214
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
rehash

Quote:
Pop wheelies.
do jumps
Post pics.
Ladies
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #5215
COLORADO_NX250
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey everyone! Just picked up a 88 NX250 with less than 20k on her. Needs a little tinkering, nothing major, but i have some questions i just cant seem to find in the thread.

1. Can i use any other size rear tire besides 120/90-16? would a 130/90-16 work?

2. The thing idles like a champ (after accel pump adj) but when i get on the throttle, she hesitates something aweful. I live at about 6200ft, is there a jet i should change? have not pulled carb yet to see what jets are in, i assume 38slow and 138main?

any help is appreciated greatly, this is my first road-legal bike and im looking forward to saving gas going to work and exploring colorado

thanks,
Todd
COLORADO_NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #5216
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADO_NX250 View Post
Hey everyone! Just picked up a 88 NX250 with less than 20k on her. Needs a little tinkering, nothing major, but i have some questions i just cant seem to find in the thread.

1. Can i use any other size rear tire besides 120/90-16? would a 130/90-16 work?

2. The thing idles like a champ (after accel pump adj) but when i get on the throttle, she hesitates something aweful. I live at about 6200ft, is there a jet i should change? have not pulled carb yet to see what jets are in, i assume 38slow and 138main?

any help is appreciated greatly, this is my first road-legal bike and im looking forward to saving gas going to work and exploring colorado

thanks,
Todd
Hi Todd :-)
Just bought one myself, also needing some new bits here and there. I have just replaced the tyres, tough not used on the road yet. I have mounted a Pirelli Diablo Scooter 130/80-16 at rear, and a ContiTrailAttack 110/80 R19 front. In my eyes it looks like I can even have a wider rear, if I wanted to (but bear in mind, Ive not used the bike with new tyres yet). There is at least one more in this forum who use 130/80-16 with no problem. For tarmac Ill guess a 130 (and maybe even wider) would be a better solution?

Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #5217
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADO_NX250 View Post

thanks,
Todd
You can use a Duro 130/90-16 on rear. It makes the bike lean slightly more. ( a good thing if your rear shock is weak.)

I've had the Duro on a 1989 NX and liked it so much, I put it on my 1990 NX. Has good off road traction and performs good on road.

I sold my 1989 NX before I could wear the Duro out. I just put a Duro on my 1990, so I haven't run enough miles to see how long it will wear. So far, it shows no sign of wear. ( 600 miles )
The stock Trail Wing went just over 7,000 miles on rear.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #5218
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Well... I ordered, and have recieved, my Vee Rubber tire.

It went on WAYYYYY easier than my previous Kenda's and prolly will come off without me having to cut the bead

The mold seam down the middle is crude and the tread depths for the center blocks are a little miss-matched... It is made in Taiwan (I'll double check) same as my Kenda's..

We'll see how the quality and road holding goes... But I pinched my tube so that first... Off to Bellevue Cycle!

And! I caution! I am NOT the one to give accurate reports (see location) on, since I get about a thou out of my tires before they're slick down the middle.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #5219
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
The ten day loop of West Virginia was shortened to seven, but we still rode just over a 1000 miles of great back roads.

The new rack worked perfect with no problems holding the Wolfman Mini Beta Max tail bag in place.

The bike looked good 36 hours before departure. Now it needs a real cleaning.

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #5220
DNA FILTERS
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dna nx250 air filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
OK, here is the bad news for the U.S crew..

I called each and every distributor/vendor listed on that site, and none were willing to order me a filter.

So, perhaps one of our European members(Greece) would be willing to purchase a group buy for us, if there is enough interest?

If you speak Greek, are in Greece, or have the ability to order directly from DNA filters, please send me a PM so we can discuss.
I volunteer to be the 'pivot' for the U.S. bound items, and will gather the monies from the U.S. buyers.

If you can/are willing to assist in a group buy for the U.S(and Canada) riders please PM me.

Everyone could pay me, i could send the money to a European member. The member sends me all U.S bound filters, and i will redistribute them according to prepayments.

If there is no interest in a group buy, i would still LOVE to have some assistance in purchasing ONE filter for myself, if nothing else. Please PM me if you can assist me.

Also, i could not get any pricing information. I directly contacted the company, but haven't received the details at this time.
If you can get me individual pricing in U.S. dollars, please PM me.

And if you would like to be included in a 'group buy' for the filter, either post here, or send me a PM, and i will reply with whatever plan is in action.

Thank you all.
Hi Guys,
A Greek member mailed me today that you are interested in the DNA NX250 Performance air filter and you are having problems finding it locally. If this is the case we can supply you directly a group buy, issuing a special forum discount.
Let me know your decision and I will take care of it personaly.
Best regards to all,
Dino Nikolaidis
Managing Director
DNA Filters Ltd, Greece
DNA FILTERS is offline   Reply With Quote