Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #5641
bl00
Dude, what's mine say!?

Oddometer: 65
Three neighbors recently bought dual sports and it has me interested in riding again. We signed up for the Shenendoah 500, so I have to get back into riding shape or I'm going to be very sore.

I washed the bike, put new brake pads on, and went out for a few hours. Here's a pic after the wash:

Photobucket
bl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #5642
polarized
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 23
Nice looking bike Bl00.

I recently finished putting mine back together and it looks almost identical to yours colour wise.

Any plans on a skid plate?
polarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #5643
bl00
Dude, what's mine say!?

Yeah, I need to get something on there. I have a few pieces of aluminum diamond plate that could be worked into a skidplate, but don't currently have the means to weld them. This guy uses a torch and makes it look easy. I would probably end up with blobs of molten aluminum all over the garage floor. If I try it I'll take pics and if it actually works then I'll post them.

The paint is a metalic black over the original blue. It's flaking off all over, so I might repaint it different colors.

bl00 screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 05:29 AM Reason: spell check
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #5644
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl00 View Post
Yeah, I need to get something on there. I have a few pieces of aluminum diamond plate that could be worked into a skidplate, but don't currently have the means to weld them. This guy uses a torch and makes it look easy. I would probably end up with blobs of molten aluminum all over the garage floor. If I try it I'll take pics and if it actually works then I'll post them.

The paint is a metalic black over the original blue. It's flaking off all over, so I might repaint it different colors.

I made mine from a piece of aluminum using just regular hand tools. Took a while to get the actual pattern laid out.
I took a large piece of cardboard and kept measuring, bending, and cutting until I had some thing that would fit.
I taped the seperate template pieces together.
FWIW Here's my finished product. Hope it gives you some help.
http://www.powers31.info/Skid_Plate_for_1990_NX250.pdf
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #5645
Thinkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Can someone give me a list of swingarms that would be compitable wtih an NX250 even if there is a bit of work involved? Like, the CBR mod - what year was that CBR swingarm?
Thinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #5646
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hello everybody..

Just finished reading the whole thread... took me like a week ..

Well, i'm new around here, just bought my 89 nx250 from a loveless punk, and i'm on the business of puting it back together.

Engine in general is quite good, and it looks mostly complete. had to re-do the generator winding, replace cdi, clean the radiator and good to go.

Im giving somo love to the fairing in general right now, specially the front side covers and the mask, since they are cracked..

I'll be uploading some pics to show progress and i'm open to any kind of suggestions. Still haven't chosen a color but i like the smoke-grey that ArthDuro had some years ago on his bike.

Orkodelamuerte screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:54 AM Reason: add pics
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #5647
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post

Well, i'm new around here, just bought my 89 nx250 from a loveless punk, and i'm on the business of puting it back together.

Engine in general is quite good, and it looks mostly complete. had to re-do the generator winding, replace cdi, clean the radiator and good to go.

Im giving somo love to the fairing in general right now, specially the front side covers and the mask, since they are cracked..

I'll be uploading some pics to show progress and i'm open to any kind of suggestions. Still haven't chosen a color but i like the smoke-grey that ArthDuro had some years ago on his bike.
Orkodelamuerte,
Welcome!
Nice job your doing
Personally I also like the colour Arthduro had/have. I have also tried to imagine how it could be with some strong contr5ast colours, like black/dark and orange, black/dark and yellow pearl...

Anyway: Hope you get the bike on the street, so you can enjoy this tiny and impressive Honda
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #5648
Thinkey
Adventurer

Quote:

Plastx could have been your friend. My plastics were in far worse condition and I fixed it all wtih the kit. You won't need iron brackets this way.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #5649
bl00
Dude, what's mine say!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
FWIW Here's my finished product. Hope it gives you some help.
http://www.powers31.info/Skid_Plate_for_1990_NX250.pdf
Yes, that helps. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #5650
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Mcct

I took the massout cam chain tensioner modification one step further and created a full manual cam chain tensioner from the NX's automatic cam chain tensioner. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #5651
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkey View Post
Plastx could have been your friend. My plastics were in far worse condition and I fixed it all wtih the kit. You won't need iron brackets this way.
I repaired some of the tabs on my bike but some around the cowl are still busted. Were you able to make new tabs/repair collars and such as the website describes with the plastex?
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #5652
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybuck View Post
I took the massout cam chain tensioner modification one step further and created a full manual cam chain tensioner from the NX's automatic cam chain tensioner. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
Absolutely and yes please
Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #5653
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:

Here’s a set of instructions I put together showing my repair of a 1989 NX250 plastics.
You may get some idea’s for your project.
http://www.powers31.info/MotorcyclePanelRepair.pdf
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #5654
Thinkey
Adventurer

Quote:
I repaired some of the tabs on my bike but some around the cowl are still busted. Were you able to make new tabs/repair collars and such as the website describes with the plastex?
Yep, mine weren't as fancy, but it did the trick. I rebuilt an entire edge of my right cowl with the stuff, even recreated the lip and the bolt hole. It makes tabs great.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #5655
Thinkey
Adventurer

Quote:
Check this out, let me know if it's working:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bfce30041f

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=4859a658cf

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2c5280d230