User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #5911
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Stainless steel manifold anyone?

Christmas is just around the corner, maybe one is thinking of getting something nice and shiny for little Nixie? Then I got something: with the aid of the official Honda parts lists you can give it a try at (or any other online source) powersports http://find.powersportsplus.com/?r=t...0kw3&x=11&y=11 and you will notice that the stainless steel manifolds of the AX1 are listed – and they are not even expensive. Of course it will not necessarily mean that powersports can actually deliver, I made some experiences in that regard when trying to get a couple of cams

scrambler66 screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:04 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #5912
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Christmas is just around the corner, maybe someone is thinking of getting something nice and shiny for little Nixie?
Nice!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #5913
BBG523
n00b

Oddometer: 2
NX250 Addiction

Hey Folks new to posting on the thread but have been a quiet reader for several months now and happy to find such a wealth of ideas and information on these bikes.

What started out for my sons and I as a project bike on craigslist turned into an addiction.

We had just come back from a trip to Italy over the summer where everyone seemed to have dual sport bikes or vespas. This got my boys itching for a project bike to get us back into riding again. We started looking around for something cheap and came across a 250. Not knowing what we found, our first bike was from a guy who was selling it with a CDI issue and he didn't have the cash to fix it.

Needless to say with the info from this site and a soldering iron in hand we had the bike up and running that afternoon. We were hooked. Well a few months later with the winds in our favor we now have 4 NX250s, 3 89s and an 88 all with low miles.

As you all know these things are so much fun to ride and work on. In stock form we even did a dual sport ride/enduro ride and these bikes held there own against the KTMs and other newer bikes more suited.
These boys we laughing at us saying "those need to be in a museum". After running the 3 hr couse we rolled back in and these guys couldn't believe it. They all came over asking about the bikes and where we got them, etc... they couldn't believe these things held up so well.

As I said we're hooked!!Soon as I'm allowed will post some pictures.

For now here is the link,,,,

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps01688b50.jpg

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps59a9aa1a.jpg

Thanks and Happy Riding!

BBG523 screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 07:58 AM
BBG523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #5914
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Great story, and great having you here, BBG523
Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #5915
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
Another little commute video from Cambodia which I shot maybe five hours ago.

It's nightime traffic and the vid is a bit dark for the first minute but gets better. Nothing crazy, just a fun daily spin.

Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5916
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 121
I'm back! I was gone for awhile do to my nx was nearly destroyed. I've since sold that one and picked up this super clean white 250 and my girl got the nx650 to commute to work on. Some may like to know that the 250 spanks the 650 from 0-50. Lol after that cubic inches prevail.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #5917
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG523 View Post
Hey Folks new to posting on the thread but have been a quiet reader for several months now and happy to find such a wealth of ideas and information on these bikes.

What started out for my sons and I as a project bike on craigslist turned into an addiction.

As I said we're hooked!!Soon as I'm allowed will post some pictures.

Thanks and Happy Riding!
Nice collection!!! hey, we definitely neeeeeeeed to see that back rack u have on all 4 bikes!! Did u make them yourself? any closer pics?? Thanks for sharing and welcome to our nixie community..
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #5918
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

That is a nice collection and good tale of how it's the rider not the bike.

Here's some traffic filtering from tonight, just 3 minutes long.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #5919
BBG523
n00b

Oddometer: 2
NX250 racks & brackets

Thanks Guys, the rear racks for the 89's are all came with the standard Honda rack, so got lucky there.
The 88 I welded one up from 1/2" square tubing and 1/2" flat stock somewhat based on the Honda rack dimensions.

All 4 bikes I added brackets to help mount small saddle bags keeping them off the muffler and giving a balanced look but also connecting it to the rear fender to help reinforce it. Seems to work really well and keeps the rear fender from sagging.

Made from (4) 3 1/2" L brackets and a 3 foot piece 1/2" wide aluminum bar stock. No cutting, just drill a few holes and bend up the L brackets and bar stock to fit. $20 at your local hardware store for the parts and new bolts.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9057e045.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psd4d36694.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps445b0c4f.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8e452cba.jpg
BBG523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #5920
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

What did your NX do today?

Mine blew up!

Going to perform exploratory surgery over the next few days, but it probably dropped a valve

Typical. I ordered a new valvetrain last week and the thing goes bang a couple of days before they were due to arrive.

Oh well, guess I have to drive the KTM to work for a while
Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #5921
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
That sucks. Let us know what you find.

I've been riding mine less and less since I have a crf450x for dirt and a ST1100 for the street. I rode a friends crf250l and it felt just like my NX with a little more power,a quiet smooth idle, and new suspension. I think I will pick one up as soon as they start to hit the used market.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #5922
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Bluhduh Started from scratch...

Unfortunately for me, Ive seen my bike at the mechanics more than i sat on it. Its almost 4 months since i got it, and if Im lucky, Ill get it back on Friday.

I took it so that he can check on the valve shims, coz it was begging for some maintenance.. That was my first punch in the balls when I found out that it was almost imposible to get new ones, since my country sucks. The mechanic was willing to fabricate them. He emptied the motor oil, only to find out that half of it was gone, so the guess was that I smoked it. After removing the cylinder, we found out some issues... the piston was chinese, and the rings were completely worn. The NXs cylinder has this nikasil coating but it was in bad shape, and since it cannot by rectified, had to fit a sleeving to the shit, to make it work (already stated the fact that my country sucks, so Im unable to get new parts..)

Replaced the piston and rings (japan), gaskets, miraculously found new shims online, BUUUUUT, when mounting all back, the camshaft bench was worn-out so also had to rectify that and one of the camshafts.

Now we are in the process of putting it back together..

My best present for christmas will be getting it back by this week...

I have one question for u guys.. will I have to treat the engine as if it were a new one? I mean, no speeding, no high revs, no heating to much, etc etc..
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #5923
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Yes,

You should not rev it too high and run it up and down from 2k to 7krpm, change the oil at 200km and then continue to run it in for 800 more km's in order for the rings to seat in well.

It's not too bad really, you could have it ran in in a few days or a week.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #5924
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Hnnng! The temptation to get a second NiXie is great.

Here's another one in Ohio, only 5,800 miles too!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3487295493.html
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #5925
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Mine blew up!

Going to perform exploratory surgery over the next few days, but it probably dropped a valve

Typical. I ordered a new valvetrain last week and the thing goes bang a couple of days before they were due to arrive.

Oh well, guess I have to drive the KTM to work for a while

Look for the cam chain skipping on the crankshaft gear, stripping it out. It's happened to a few of us on this board, myself included.