Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #5926
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
At what mileage does this cam chain stripping out /rebuilds does this happen at? My bike has 17 thousand miles doesnt smoke or make any funny noises and I just got it so hopefully the thing doesnt go kablooey on me when I ride it this upcoming spring.The oil and coolant are very very clean as well.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #5927
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
At what mileage does this cam chain stripping out /rebuilds does this happen at? My bike has 17 thousand miles doesnt smoke or make any funny noises and I just got it so hopefully the thing doesnt go kablooey on me when I ride it this upcoming spring.The oil and coolant are very very clean as well.
14,000 miles on mine. I don't know if it's a mileage or age thing, or just happens. I believe that my cam chain tensioner failed, the chain was barely stretched compared to a new one. I suggest changing both the chain and the tensioner though, maybe modifying the tensioner to manual adjustment.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #5928
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Dont worry. If it aint broken, don't fix it . The timing chain will not lengthen all of a sudden, and you will hear it long before it could cause serious trouble. The NX250 engine is usually very silent in terms of mechanical noise - any rattling or clacking is due to lengthening of the timing chain and the incapability of the tensioner to deal with that. My Nixie started to rattle softly at about 70.000km – changing the tensioner did not help. At about 98.000km the rattling became so noisy that I tried a fix from this forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4993 and the rattling was gone. Of course I should change the timing chain, but this is by no means trivial and I wanted to finish the 100.000km with unopened engine (which a did ). So as long as no suspicious noises occur, I wouldn’t touch the engine.
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #5929
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
My bike definitely didn't have a camchain issue. It's just something that has happened on some other bikes.

The engine that I'm pretty sure got destroyed yesterday had roughly 60'000km, assuming the previous owner had the speedo connected. I think it had 26'000km when I bought about 30 months ago.

I knew the valve-train was bodged and if it would have just held on for another week I would have had the new parts. It was a bit of a shame Oh well

Damn bike has a habit of only ever costing me money around Xmas.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #5930
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I had the same thing happen, the master link went bye-bye and the chain destroyed the cover. I salvaged most of my parts and glued them back together, but it's still not all there. Sort of like my mind.

Wait a minute – I always wondered about those unexplainable damages. Almost all Nixies just run like forever without any repairs at all, but a few seem to blow up every now and then. But now I noticed that the OEM chain does not have a master link – it’s an endless chain. This means that your chain must have been a replacement part and with the OEM chain something like that should not occur

scrambler66 screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 11:16 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #5931
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post

Damn bike has a habit of only ever costing me money around Xmas.
Just out of curiosity: did you change the cam chain last Christmas ? And what exactly do you mean by the „valve-train was bodged”? As you wrote earlier, someone else already messed up your engine and then it’s a different story of course. Given that the engine wasn’t ruined by some good-for-nothing mechanics the valve train of the NX seems pretty durable.

scrambler66 screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 06:00 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #5932
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Well, the bike was in Cambodia for much longer than myself. Some/Most of the mechanical work is shocking.

In this case two valves had been re-cut and re-seated by idiots.

I was going to replace everything before something like what happened yesterday happened, Murphy's law!

I've seen engines than run only because some inventive mechanic has used bits of coke cans and parts from other bikes and cars with no reference to a shop manual.

Now all my work is done by either myself or by a British mechanic friend.

No, last Xmas it got a chain and sprockets, a coil and a re-spray after a drunk idiot knocked it over with his car.

Jacl-Kampuchea screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 07:04 AM
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #5933
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Wait a minute I always wondered about those unexplainable damages. Almost all Nixies just run like forever without any repairs at all, but a few seem to blow up every now and then. But now I noticed that the OEM chain does not have a master link its an endless chain. This means that your chain must have been a replacement part and with the OEM chain something like that should not occur

That was a drive chain that lost a master link. It was pretty worn out and was ready to be changed, waited too long!

Cam chain of course does not have a master link.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #5934
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
That was a drive chain that lost a master link. It was pretty worn out and was ready to be changed, waited too long!

Cam chain of course does not have a master link.
ok, then forget what I wrote - but I actually saw NX250 cam chains with master links at ebay
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #5935
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Fork Boot size

Hi - just picked up an NX250 today, and it needs fork boots. Does anyone know what size boots the bike takes?

Thanks.
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #5936
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
A nixxie pic from fun and foggy ride

I hate going through this thread. I want one for the wife every time. I know I asked before but cannot find the answer. Arthduro, where or how did you get your windscreen? There is finally a pristine nx in my town for sale with new works shock on it. White and blue whatever year that is. Thanks brother.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #5937
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

progrip fork boots 34/37mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
Hi - just picked up an NX250 today, and it needs fork boots. Does anyone know what size boots the bike takes?

Thanks.
Hi, most boots are too long/wide but these fit perfectly http://www.ebay.com/itm/160919223797...887df5&vxp=mtr

They are a bit tight to assemble and you have to punch a few ventilation holes, but they are durable and they don't bleach.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #5938
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Hi, most boots are too long/wide but these fit perfectly http://www.ebay.com/itm/160919223797...887df5&vxp=mtr

They are a bit tight to assemble and you have to punch a few ventilation holes, but they are durable and they don't bleach.

I appreciate that. I checked those out, but I think I'll look for black boots; however now I know the size. My bike is blue, but I may paint it red like yours. Then I can pretend that it is a Cagiva Gran Canyon
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #5939
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
What used instead Chain Slider for Honda AX-1
I did not find it in my place.

IamsaparoS screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 12:10 AM
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #5940
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I hate going through this thread. I want one for the wife every time. ...
you'd have to give us more details about your wife,
before we even start to think about a trade
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote