before we even start to think about a trade
Haha!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #5942
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
I appreciate that. I checked those out, but I think I'll look for black boots; however now I know the size. My bike is blue, but I may paint it red like yours
No kidding? I reeeeeally love the trad blue metallic oh well, I guess the grass is just greener.... but I found a solution by buying a AX1 - NX250, the Japanese luxury version. Right now it’s still painted in a gruesome yellow, but hopefully in the not too far away future it will look like this specimen below

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #5943
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
At what mileage does this cam chain stripping out /rebuilds does this happen at?
In every case I've read about, the cam chain has never been at fault. It has always been related to the tensioner. Evidently it is similar to designed used in the Honda Fireblade/CBR 9xx (?) and it is standard practice for owners of these bikes to swap out the automatic tensioners for manual ones. My own bike fell prey to this and I now run a manual tensioner. No more noise and no more worries. If you've got rattles or it sounds like marbles going through a popcorn machine then you need to get a manual tensioner. I believe that the automatic tensioner is not able to extend as far as it should as the combination of pressure from the cam chain guide and the vibrations from the engine run the tensioner back in. If I start up my bike with the tensioner adjusted but with the jam nut loose it loosens the screw VERY quickly.
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #5944
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep View Post
you'd have to give us more details about your wife,
before we even start to think about a trade
Sorry not for trade. she's awesome.

Sent from my totally awesome galaxy note! Over tapatalk2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #5945
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
does anyone here know if NX125 parts (exept engine, of ourse)
interchange with NX250?

thanks
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #5946
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
No kidding? I reeeeeally love the trad blue metallic oh well, I guess the grass is just greener.... but I found a solution by buying a AX1 - NX250, the Japanese luxury version. Right now it’s still painted in a gruesome yellow, but hopefully in the not too far away future it will look like this specimen below

I love the dual headlights. I don't suppose that front will interchange with the Nx, will it?
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #5947
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

AX1 Conversion

Quote:
I love the dual headlights. I don't suppose that front will interchange with the Nx, will it?
It will, given that you change the fairing, too. The fairing of the AX1 fits plugandplay, actually AX1 and NX250 are in Honda terminology the same model (MD21) with only very few differences. The AX1 was never imported to the US, whereas a few containers had been unofficially sold in Greece, Russia and the UK. That’s where I got my AX1. There are even aftermarket AX1 fairings http://www.perfect-fairings.com/serv...NGS-KIT/Detail

The bracket of the headlights is available at CMS http://www.cmsnl.com/products/brkt-f...n_64510kw3000/

As is the complete headlight http://www.cmsnl.com/products/light-...d_33100kw3003/

You can check the OEM part numbers at this site http://www.moto4.ru/fiches/honda_nx250_ax1/

So theoretically it would be possible to convert a AX1 to a NX250 – but it’s way too expensive - not even I would be so mad
Old 12-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #5948
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 676
Today I pulled the tank and the rocker covers from my bike.

Camchain in perfect condition, gears perfect, cams not scored.

Had to work then. Going to get the head off before work tomorrow. . .

If I'm VERY lucky I may get away with Piston/Ring set and new Valves, Shims and Seats combined with a hone.

Also noticed my CDI was repaired in the past, It's never given me trouble so must have been a tidy repair.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #5949
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
I am that mad to swap out to the ax1 front end. I will be doing it if the wife wants the nixer
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #5950
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
It will, given that you change the fairing, too. The fairing of the AX1 fits plugandplay, actually AX1 and NX250 are in Honda terminology the same model (MD21) with only very few differences....

So theoretically it would be possible to convert a AX1 to a NX250 – but it’s way too expensive - not even I would be so mad
Obviously you have considered the option....I like the way you think . But, it is still cheaper to change the bits and pieces than import an AX1 into the USA...plus, I like the wire wheels of the NX better. Maybe if I could find the parts used...off a scrapped AX, it would be more economical...I will have to look for an international eBay site or something, eh? Any recommendations?
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #5951
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiep View Post
does anyone here know if NX125 parts (exept engine, of ourse)
interchange with NX250?

thanks
A timely question as we just completely went through a 1988 NX125. Still not quite done, as it is missing the front sprocket cover and parts that were missed from the first order to Service Honda.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...731237&page=18

The NX250 and NX125 are VERY different bikes.

Items that are shared:
Front and rear reflectors - I still need the fronts and the little stems to mount them
Tail light lens
Front Turn Signals - The rears have looooong mounting stems
Mirrors - NX125s are cheaper as the rubber vibration mounts are not included
Handle Bars are both 7/8" diameter

Not much is the same.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #5952
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
OK, thanks
guess I will not buy the NX125 that just popped up on CL
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #5953
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,691
The NX125 shares the rear fender assembly, iirc..just the plastic and the lights.

the nx125 is the xl185/xr200/ type air cooled motor.

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #5954
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

AX1 parts

Quote:
Obviously you have considered the option.
That thought crossed my mind . I was looking for years for used AX1 parts at eBay, and was almost ready to buy new parts before I got a complete AX1. Just a few weeks later a complete fairing showed up at eBay (wouldn’t you know it) and I bought it anyway, since the one of my AX1 was in really bad shape.

There must be lots of AX1 parts in Russia (the parts list above is from a Russian parts vendor) but since its Cyrillic, I have no idea how to look for them at eBay.

If you got a decent Honda dealer, take the OEM part number and ask him if he willing to order them.

There is one vendor who organizes Japanese Yahoo auctions, but it’s too expensive, too – don´t get fooled by the prices, you have to multiply them by three until they are shipped to Europe http://auctions.isibike.com/?catId=0&freeWord=AX-1

From time to time a complete AX1 showed up at Ebay UK, they are not even that expensive – 800-1200 £ - looks like I could make a living by buying a container load full of them and ship them to the US?

At least you could take a pair of those headlights with 3.5" diameter - same as the AX1. I´m forced by the dang German TÜV to use them, too, since the original AX1 lights are not DOT approved http://www.ebay.de/itm/FROG-EYE-DOUB...item416efbb8b3

There is a very nice site of a Greek guy who totally rebuild his AX1. I do not take any responsibility if you visit this site – you will probably get totally hooked to the AX1 http://dhost.info/ax1/html/the_rebuild.html

And if that happens, you could buy an AX1 directly from Japan http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorc...0B30121108002/

This one looks really nice and shiny, I wonder if the price of 5,800$ already includes shipping - by the way, did I mention that the AX1 musters 3 ponies more than the NX250 ?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #5955
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 676
That is waay too much for an AX-1. I could buy one from Japan ( direct from a container ), register it in my name for under $2000, drive it to Bangkok and have it flown to Europe for around $600/700.

Hell, I could buy a good one here from $800 to $1500.

There's a good reason the stock AX-1 lamps are not DOT approved - they suck. I fitted two HID kits to mine lately and it's easily 300% better.

One lamp is rigged with a HID for low beam, and the other for high beam. When one is on the other is off unless I use the passing button and then both are on as long as I keep the button pressed.

Jacl-Kampuchea screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 12:15 PM
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote