Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #6106
Drifter.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
That piston and cam looks good, there is a chinese company called shineray that is building new nx engines they are 770 or so dollars, rumor is....2014 or 15 they are coming here???

Anyone know the cause or cure for the CDI failures?

CurtW, thanks for the tip! Not as good as the old craiglook though.

JD pm sent.
Drifter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #6107
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter. View Post
That piston and cam looks good, there is a chinese company called shineray that is building new nx engines they are 770 or so dollars, rumor is....2014 or 15 they are coming here???

Anyone know the cause or cure for the CDI failures?

CurtW, thanks for the tip! Not as good as the old craiglook though.

JD pm sent.
I would never ever consider using a Chinese engine in my reliable Honda. I also would not even look at chinese pistons if there would be a Honda OEM big piston

The story with the CDI is that every Honda enduro (NX650, Transalp etc.) of that time has a problem with its durability - sooner or later it will fail for sure. A few guys tried to repair the CDI and it works – temporarily at best from what I heard

The first CDI of my NX250 failed at 72.000km and I replaced it with a used one. That one failed after another 18.000km and again I replaced it, this time with a new aftermarket one from ebay. It worked fine for 12.000km until I was trying an used CDI – and it failed after 2000km.

Bottomline: any used or repaired CDI is a risk. I recommend buying a new one and using the old repaired one as a spare for longer trips – or vice versa
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #6108
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,653

I would put an entire X2X engine in a spare NX frame...$700 is too high of a price for a spare X2X engine, however..
Maybe $350 tops, tax shipping included..for entire package(engine, carb, CDI)

I would NEVER put a chinese engine part or carburetor on my Honda NX driveline/running powertrain..

NEVER NEVER EVER EVER, like Taylor Swift!

The CDI issue....back in the mid 80s, Honda got bad supply for all their bikes...dirt, street, dual..

Get a new one...$150 give peace of mind over a 25yo electronic unit..

WAY better production quality today opposed to back then..

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #6109
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,413
Hi All,
I'm going to check out an '88 NX250 tomorrow evening. From the one picture I've seen it looks pretty nice. However, the owner doesn't seem to know that much about the bike. I'm inclined not to tip my hand too much. The bike has just over 10K miles on it.

The owner tells me that he let a friend ride it and said friend "snapped the rear hub". I have no idea what that means and even asked him to explain. I never really got an explanation that made any sense. The bike is on my ride home from work so I'm not really going out of my way to see it. It also supposedly has a broken front brake lever (no biggie). The asking price is $1500 which I think is way too high unless the rear wheel thing is trivial.

That said, is there anything else to look out for?

I plan to do more homework and read thru this thread but if I could have 5-10 major things to check, that would indicate if I should be seriously interested or just pass. BTW, I plan to use the bike mostly for commuting and perhaps some gravel roads.

TIA, Dave.

EDIT: After reading the FAQ (thanks VC), it looks like things to check are:

• CDI
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Carb Cleaning
  • Listen to cold engine for valve noises and warm engine for cam chain, valve timing, idle, cooling system working, etc.
  • Check for rust inside the radiator & fuel tank.
  • Check the exhaust when starting (cold), and when running, no grey/black smoke.
  • Spark plug
  • Front fork seals
  • Rear shock
  • When (if) on road, let go the handlebar, and check for side movement to verify frame damage
  • After riding; check oil level and consistency

Did I miss anything?

There are a couple of rear wheels on eBay right now. If I needed to, I could source a decent one for ~$100 (shipped). Perhaps this would be a good excuse to do the XL250R rear wheel swap.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:06 AM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #6110
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Hi All,
I'm going to check out an '88 NX250 tomorrow evening. From the one picture I've seen it looks pretty nice. However, the owner doesn't seem to know that much about the bike. I'm inclined not to tip my hand too much. The bike has just over 10K miles on it.

The owner tells me that he let a friend ride it and said friend "snapped the rear hub". I have no idea what that means and even asked him to explain. I never really got an explanation that made any sense. The bike is on my ride home from work so I'm not really going out of my way to see it. It also supposedly has a broken front brake lever (no biggie). The asking price is $1500 which I think is way too high unless the rear wheel thing is trivial.

I plan to do more homework and read thru this thread but if I could have 5-10 major things to check, that would indicate if I should be seriously interested or just pass. BTW, I plan to use the bike mostly for commuting and perhaps some gravel roads.

TIA, Dave.

• CDI
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Carb Cleaning

Did I miss anything?

There are a couple of rear wheels on eBay right now. If I needed to, I could source a decent one for ~$100 (shipped). Perhaps this would be a good excuse to do the XL250R rear wheel swap.
If u are to change the rear; consider the 17" swap.
If U can test drive it, listen to the engine for noises in cold (usually valve clapping can be heard) and in warm for camchain, valve timing, idle, cooling system working, etc..

Check for rust inside the radiator. Also, when on road, let go the handlebar, and check for sidemovements to verify if damage to the frame..

Check the exhaust fumes, when starting (cold), and when running, U should not get any grey or black smoke.

U can also check the sparkplug, you should find a beautiful carbon-free latte color..

After riding; check oil level and consistence: u should not get sth greyish, or with dark bubbles (water), or too liquid..

Moreover, verify no leakage on the frontfork fluids, and the bouncing u get on the rear cushion... The less, the better..

If previous maintenance has been done, check if OEM supplies were used.

The more details u get, the more u can argue the price... Good luck!
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #6111
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Thanks for the list of things to check. I don't think I'm going to be able to ride it based on the "snapped the rear hub" issue. I am hoping to hear it run.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #6112
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Hi All,
I'm going to check out an '88 NX250 tomorrow evening. From the one picture I've seen it looks pretty nice.

The owner tells me that he let a friend ride it and said friend "snapped the rear hub". It also supposedly has a broken front brake lever (no biggie).

The asking price is $1500 which I think is way too high unless the rear wheel thing is trivial.

5-10 major things to check,

• CDI
  • Valve Adjustment
  • Carb Cleaning
  • Listen to cold engine for valve noises and warm engine for cam chain, valve timing, idle, cooling system working, etc.
  • Check for rust inside the radiator & fuel tank.
  • Check the exhaust when starting (cold), and when running, no grey/black smoke.
  • Spark plug
  • Front fork seals
  • Rear shock
  • When (if) on road, let go the handlebar, and check for side movement to verify frame damage
  • After riding; check oil level and consistency

Did I miss anything?

That is a good checklist, not just for NX's, but bikes overall...
and it's a good start

add:
~ check oil color, level and look for particles(dirt/shavings) suspended in the oil
~ measure clutch play, action, activity, fade, engagement
~ check all mechanic cables for dryness, cracks, lubricity
~ check all rubber parts for integrity
~ test all lights and electrical systems, switches buttons etc
~ check into HARD crevices (places you just CANT clean without disassembly)(tells if the bike has been abused, but CLEANED up)
~ check all wear items...tires, brakes, chain

~ bounce on the suspension, hit little speedbump type objects and see if bike bottoms out..

~~ check fasteners(every each last one) for signs of use, wear, rounding of edges, or even missing, or a NON factory bolt, worst case: replaced with ASE stuff )

and finally, take someone with you. beats anytime

Cracked rear hub?:
My guess is that the rear final driven flange is damaged. This part is commonly called 'cush drive'.

The rear sprocket on the NX2 doesn't bolt directly to the wheel hub, a la XRs, it is similar to a street bike style 2 piece rear wheel. Sprocket bolts to a flange, and then rubber bumpers are between this flange and the wheel hub.

rubber bumpers are part #3

There are three wheel bearings in this setup..two in the wheel hub(LOCKED in with a spanner ring) and one in the driven flange(held in by snap-ring)

If the wheel HUB isn't damaged, good... that's just money saved, but you'll not need the original 16" hub/wheel at all.
But the flange IS the original part you will need with the XL 17" wheel to convert and run it on NX2.

$1500?!

read the last page prior to this one...lol
doesn't RollinJ have a great deal for like $900? ya'll can't meet up?

valvecrusher screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 12:16 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #6113
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Thanks VC. Yeah, lots of things to check and look for. This is just an initial look/see. It's supposed to be nice here this weekend and Saturday may provide a better day to really see it in the daylight. Sadly, I do not have any friends, that ride, that live close by. So, if I were to take my wife, she would have no idea what to look for (even though 4 eyes are better than 2).

My DR650 has a rear cush drive that's very similar in set-up. So, I am familiar with them. It will be very interesting to see what "snapped the rear hub" really means.

RollinJ is too far away (Texas). Otherwise, it would be worth a PM to him. I see the price is $800 at this time.

I am hoping to give it a good look-over and have the owner start it up, from cold. It's in the low 30s here today so this may be a good test to see if the carb is right and if the valves are adjusted. Initially, I thought I was dealing with a teen or twenty-something. Now, I think the owner is a little older but I'm not sure. I'll try to get some pictures and post back later this evening, or tomorrow, so I can elicit opinions from the NX2 collective.

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas/feedback. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #6114
Psychoboy
Adventurer

So I took my nx250 down to get emissions today. Well it passed but on my way back home the temp light started coming on. I would pull over and wait til it went off and then get back on the road and it would go on again. Now this whole time the fan was not turning on. I know the fan works because I took it out on some trails about a week ago and the fan came on but no temp light. When I got home finally I checked the oil level and it was a bit low. I am wondering if that is enough to get make that light go on since it doesn't actually have an oil light or anything? If not what else can I check? There is no reason it should be overheating today doing 45MPH with about 70F temps outside.

Thanks
Psychoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #6115
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoboy View Post
So I took my nx250 down to get emissions today. Well it passed but on my way back home the temp light started coming on. I would pull over and wait til it went off and then get back on the road and it would go on again. Now this whole time the fan was not turning on. I know the fan works because I took it out on some trails about a week ago and the fan came on but no temp light. When I got home finally I checked the oil level and it was a bit low. I am wondering if that is enough to get make that light go on since it doesn't actually have an oil light or anything? If not what else can I check? There is no reason it should be overheating today doing 45MPH with about 70F temps outside.

Thanks
Been there..

Many things to check.

You already know that the fan works... but does it kick in on the run? It should be all full-duty by the time the red light is on. otherwise; its not grounded correctly or maybe its disconnected. Inspect the cable for cracks or dryness..

Check refrigerant. Is the side deposit on acceptable level?

Remove the radiator cap. Is liquid up to the border? Are u using coolant or just water?

Any recent maintenance such as sparkplug, CDI, ignition coil, etc? Go for OEM on those...

Keep us posted...
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #6116
Psychoboy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
Been there..

Many things to check.

You already know that the fan works... but does it kick in on the run? It should be all full-duty by the time the red light is on. otherwise; its not grounded correctly or maybe its disconnected. Inspect the cable for cracks or dryness..

Check refrigerant. Is the side deposit on acceptable level?

Remove the radiator cap. Is liquid up to the border? Are u using coolant or just water?

Any recent maintenance such as sparkplug, CDI, ignition coil, etc? Go for OEM on those...

Keep us posted...
Fan connector directly to ground and it turns on fine.

The coolant level is actually above the full line.

Removed radiator cap the is no liquid as far as I can see but that's how it's been since I got it. While running I can hear it running through though.

Coolant and water (probably needs to be changed)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Psychoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #6117
Drifter.
Adventurer

Scrambler, did you notice anything before the CDIs died like some kind of trigger or pattern, do you have a good voltage regulator?

Crusher, never say never......people used to say the same kind of thing about jap crap....things change. Half the parts on Harleys are made in japan or tiawan.....and china.

New BMWs Kawasaki Honda....are made in china!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #6118
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter. View Post
Scrambler, did you notice anything before the CDIs died like some kind of trigger or pattern, do you have a good voltage regulator?

Crusher, never say never......people used to say the same kind of thing about jap crap....things change. Half the parts on Harleys are made in japan or tiawan.....and china.

New BMWs Kawasaki Honda....are made in china!!
There is a reason why chinese products are so cheap... and its not just because of the slave labour class.

Can´t deny that there are some item worth watching though, but if u can get your hands on jap stuff, you will dodge a headache. With chinese, u never know...

Would u trust a chinese transmision for a heavy off-road ride 200 miles away from signs of humanity?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #6119
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Well, that was disappointing at best.

I arrived to find the garage door half open with the distinct glow of a motorcycle headlight in the dim interior. Obviously, they wanted to get it running before I arrived. I had wanted to hear it start from cold but I never expressed that to the owner (in all fairness). When I walked into the garage, there was a faint order of starting fluid. And, they confirmed the NX had not run in several months. Although, it had the entire one car garage to itself. It required quite a bit of bumping the throttle, by hand, to stay running. However, once it warmed up (5 minutes or so), it idled nicely. There was a rattle that would came and go. I tried to listen for it, and time it, while I was chatting with the owner. It seemed like a cam chain noise but I wasn't sure. Eventually, it stopped. I asked if I could roll the bike outside so I could see it better in the late afternoon daylight. It has seen better days, that's for sure. Every piece of bodywork has damage (scratches, scuffs, cracks, etc.). Nothing is truly trashed but the tank fairings are zip-tied to the headlight fairing. The rear fender is glued together, just behind the seat, and taped to the sub-frame. The "snapped rear hub" appears to be a rear sprocket that had all of its bolts back out. The cush hub appears to be OK. There was no master cylinder for the front brake although the owner tells me he does have it. Additionally, the thing was filthy. It looked like it had been ridden through oil and then dirt. The rear brake lever was bent into the right side case but caused no damage. I stopped really inspecting it when it was obvious it had been "ridden hard & put away wet".

I wasn't expecting a garage queen but I was hoping for better. I offered him $800 as it sat (since there was no way to safely take it for a ride). He balked at that (understandable). I told him that if he could find a buyer that would pay his price, good for him. But, if it didn't sell in a month, to let me know and we would chat more.

Thanks for all of the feedback and things for which to look. I think I'll keep looking for a small adventure bike (NX250, XR250L, CRF230L, DR250S, DR200, XT225/250, KL/R250) to trade for my VTR250 Interceptor. I'll let you know if anything else pops up on my radar.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #6120
Drifter.
Adventurer

Klr and BMW 650s have been made there for a dozen years or so as well as other Japanese bikes all seem to be doing just fine. If i had to chose sure it would be made in japan....hey they have there share of problem child bikes also. Times they are a changing....5 years from now there will be lots of reliable chinese and India cars and bikes here....