Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6121
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoboy View Post
Fan connector directly to ground and it turns on fine.

The coolant level is actually above the full line.

Removed radiator cap the is no liquid as far as I can see but that's how it's been since I got it. While running I can hear it running through though.

Coolant and water (probably needs to be changed)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
fill and or change your coolant for sure. remove and read your spark plug...is it white?
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #6122
Psychoboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
fill and or change your coolant for sure. remove and read your spark plug...is it white?
Didn't even think the spark plug could cause an issue. I'll check those (probably need to be replaced anyways after sitting in a garage for 1-2 years)
Psychoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #6123
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 518
When I bought my NX250 I had to diagnose a failing cdi. Initially, I would be riding and the bike would die and not restart immediately. As it progressed, it needed hours before it would restart.

I basically ran a voltage drop check all the way to the cdi, and then replaced the cdi, coil, plug wire and plug boot.

That was 19,000 miles ago.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #6124
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Quote:
Didn't even think the spark plug could cause an issue. I'll check those (probably need to be replaced anyways after sitting in a garage for 1-2 years)
I think he's looking for a too lean condition. You need to ride the bike at 6K or more rpm for about 5 minutes, pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch, coast to the side of the road. Wait a couple of minutes, and then remove the spark plug and examine the color of the plug. {best to have wire brushed the plug before doing this}

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/sparkplug.html
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #6125
Psychoboy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
I think he's looking for a too lean condition. You need to ride the bike at 6K or more rpm for about 5 minutes, pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch, coast to the side of the road. Wait a couple of minutes, and then remove the spark plug and examine the color of the plug. {best to have wire brushed the plug before doing this}

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/sparkplug.html
Can't just do it in neutral and hold it at 6K RPMS and then kill it?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #6126
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Can't just do it in neutral and hold it at 6K RPMS and then kill it?
haha.. yeah u can do that too... Honestly, never crossed my mind.... years of checking my spark plug in the middle of the street; and I could have done it in the safety of my garage... :(

Check if the spark plug you have is the correct degree. Otherwise engine will overheat... and if u are running lean, it will gain temperature as well, the valves cool down with the magic touch of the cool gasoline.
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #6127
Psychoboy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
haha.. yeah u can do that too... Honestly, never crossed my mind.... years of checking my spark plug in the middle of the street; and I could have done it in the safety of my garage... :(

Check if the spark plug you have is the correct degree. Otherwise engine will overheat... and if u are running lean, it will gain temperature as well, the valves cool down with the magic touch of the cool gasoline.
yeah after thinking. It dies while idling for a few minutes too (like at a stop light) so they probably just need to be changed either way. Also my last trip it did boil over (no heat light) and at the time I just took it thinking it was because I overfilled it. Now thinking back to it I probably lost a lot of coolant when that happened and that could be causing the problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #6128
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

I think that the cooling is better on a moving bike, and, I believe that the test really should be done under a load. You need more gas to push the bike down the road at 50-55 in 4th gear, than you do to turn 6K on a parked bike with a fan blowing on the engine. The loading is the real world situation that you are trying to test and see if the jetting is correct.

The plug read presumes that the carb is clean and there are no restrictions in any of the fuel circuits. So guess what needs doing if the bike has been stored! Yup, you get some carb cleaner and spray the orifices to the hidden stuff, poke some fine wire where you can, etc.

Here is another plug color link:

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Additionally, is the idle set at 1300-1400 rpm? It will die if too low. Also, if the battery is old and nearly dead, it is discharging further while you are idling at a stop light and that may cause the engine to die.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #6129
Drifter.
Adventurer

Is there a good NX forum anywhere in english, this one long thread covering all subjects could be better!

What was this bike called in japan, i went to ebay japan and searched nx nothing came up it sent me back to ebay USA?...

Drifter. screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:50 AM
Drifter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #6130
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter. View Post
Is there a good NX forum anywhere in english, this one long thread.....
U mean a shorter one?? use the filters; It´s pretty damn complete, and IMO, is nearly the best one..

Edit: You are looking for the AX-1 250

Orkodelamuerte screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 10:26 AM
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #6131
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Looks like AX-1 should work.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6132
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
U mean a shorter one?? use the filters; It´s pretty damn complete, and IMO, is nearly the best one..

Edit: You are looking for the AX-1 250
There's no difference. If somebody is too lazy to use this resource, and there is a very good index on page one, then screw them!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #6133
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Hey folks-

This is my first post on this NX250 thread.

Not too long ago I rebuilt a 1986 XL600R, and ran a build thread about it here. After getting done with it I realized that my off-road riding skills are not all that good and I'd like to improve them. But I thought that the XL600 might not be the bike to do that with. For one thing, it's really pretty and I don't want to beat it up by dropping it in the dirt all the time. For another thing it's relatively big and heavy. So I started looking around craigslist for a 250cc bike.

Well I mentioned the fact that I was after a 250 to a friend of mine and he told me about an NX250 that his wife had, and didn't want anymore. I got pretty excited as I remember the NX250 (and the NX650) very well. I went to get it the next day, and bought it from the wife for $300. I'm not sure if I paid a fair price... the bike is very beat up, missing fairings and side covers, needs a new seat and battery, has a funky title, and does not run. On the other hand, it supposedly ran quite well when it was parked a year ago, allegedly has less than 10,000 miles (according to the odometer.... but it's hard to believe considering the poor condition of the bike) has tons of tread left on the trailwings (which are not cracked), and hell, it's an NX250! I'm not too worried about getting it started... the spark at the plug looks good, I cleaned the carbs, and I am now waiting for some valve shims in the mail (valves were all too tight, especially the intakes). I am hoping the valve adjustment will do the trick and the engine will fire up.

I'm not 100% certain what direction I will go with the bike, but I am leaning heavily towards getting it running, beefing up the suspension, and just riding the hell out of it in the dirt. Maybe not even worrying about the funky title, not even plating it.

My big question (there had to be a question, right?) is about the suspension. I weigh about 185 (which is big for one of these bikes, I'm guessing) and when I sit or stand on the bike now, the suspension feels like a joke. I would like to firm it up substantially, but I'd like to do it super cheaply. I'm trying to spend next-to-nothing on this bike, as I just spent quite a bit on the XL600. Is there another, more common (and therefor cheap) rear shock that can bolt on? What about front forks? Are there cheap solutions to these issues?

I will post a picture or two of this beater soon.

Thanks for reading, and any input you might have!
Cheers,
Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #6134
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I am considering hybridizing this bike with a CanAm 250 2-stroke. I found one that can be had for cheap.

•Either pull out the NX250 engine and stuff it into the CanAm rolling frame (with appropriate mods to the frame so I can use the radiator and probably the NX's fuel tank too)
•Or try to fit the swingarm/shock/rear wheel and also the triple clamps/forks/front wheel of the CanAm to the NX frame.

I'm an excellent fabricator and machinist, so I'm not worried about the work involved.

I'd end up with a water-cooled four stroke 250 with electric start in a dirt bike chassis with good suspension and common tire sizes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #6135
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
thoughts...yup...
if it was me i would go it all honda, and...
hurry up and get to work!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
I am considering hybridizing this bike with a CanAm 250 2-stroke. I found one that can be had for cheap.

•Either pull out the NX250 engine and stuff it into the CanAm rolling frame (with appropriate mods to the frame so I can use the radiator and probably the NX's fuel tank too)
•Or try to fit the swingarm/shock/rear wheel and also the triple clamps/forks/front wheel of the CanAm to the NX frame.

I'm an excellent fabricator and machinist, so I'm not worried about the work involved.

I'd end up with a water-cooled four stroke 250 with electric start in a dirt bike chassis with good suspension and common tire sizes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Christian
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote