Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #6241
Local Machine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
I must say I can feel an improvement on performance but it`s still not fixed. Now, it will not jerk as before, but it still stumbles before I get past 5k revs. Also noticed that it does it when I make a rapid acceleration, but If I go up in revs gently, it will run fine-ish.
So youve cleaned your venturi jet
You can always try a different setting on your slide needle. Set the clip one notch lower (so the needle will rise a little bit more) in order to get a richer mixture.
Maybe the previous owner used a different configuration on that thing. The same carb was installed in quiet a few different models back in the day.
Im just sayin.
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #6242
WyeDaustin
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hello all, I have been a lurker here off and on. I got my NX in 08, and she went into boxes in 2010. This forum has been a wealth of information for trying to get my NX back out of those boxes. Thank you everyone
I decided while I had her all apart, I would go ahead and restore what I could. I now am about 85% complete.

This about 45% complete.

Anyway, I started her up few weeks ago, she ran a lot rough (only runs with choke, have to constantly rev engine to keep going), and apparently I did something stupid by using a car battery for testing. Long story short, I let the magic smoke out of the CDI. (repaired CDI, resoldered...no spark) Ordered a new CDI from http://www.regulatorrectifier.com. CDI was made in Belgium and is much smaller than OE.(Still fits in rubber holder) I hooked the new CDI up and tried to start the NX. Started for about 5 sec then backfired (but out the tailpipe). My first thought was that the new CDI was sending spark at the incorrect time, but on inspection of the valve clearances, I think it may be my valves need adjusting. At TDC the intake lobe closest to the spark plug has a gap of 0.10mm so at the very least it is 0.10 - 0.13mm out of tolerance. The exhaust lobe closest to the spark plug has a gap of 0.28mm, out of tolerance but not nearly as much. I plan on measuring the other two lobes tonight. My question is, could the valves being that out of tolerance be an indicator of something more sinister, or should I shim them and go on. Also, during troubleshooting the starting/backfire, (or lack of starting) I noticed that my pilot screw had been set and broke off. Is that common? should I try and get the old one out and replace it? Anyway, I will post more pics as i get them uploaded.

about 5 sec before I realized this shock was going to require more modification to the NX than I was willing to do.

New handlebars! OE was bent when wife took a header into a ditch. she refuses to ride anymore. Oh well, we always have

WyeDaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #6243
WyeDaustin
n00b

Poor little Nixxie! Didn't expect snow like this
WyeDaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #6244
WyeDaustin
n00b

The stock chain slider fell apart when I took the swing arm out of the box. I am not going to pay over $10 for a small piece of rubber that gets brittle... you know over 20ish years. This is what I ended up doing.

cut strip out of old tire.

and used it as my chain slider.

top is same as bottom. goes further back to make sure chain cant hit the screws
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #6245
mp350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
rebuilding carb ?

Just picked up a 89 nx250 with a leaking carb. Got it out and on the bench to find it full of rust and gunk (PO said just clean the carb but now leaking). Waiting on carb kit now, but looking at the pictures of the carb on page 393, mine does not have any adjustments just a block of plate. Now the kit comes with the adjustable needle, so my question is do you drill out the plate or leave it alone ? Live in flat Florida, Thanks
mp350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #6246
WyeDaustin
n00b

I would get all the plastic/rubber parts off and then soak it for a day or two. rebuild with kit. If it seems to run too rich or too lean after that, then I would think about drilling. Mine is not a plate, but has been broken off to prevent adjustment. I can see the threads for the screw when I look at it. I am leaving mine alone until the I get done adjusting valves. Congrats on the NX! any pictures?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #6247
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyeDaustin View Post
The stock chain slider fell apart ..*edit* over 20ish years. This is what I ended up doing.

cut strip out of old tire.

and used it as my chain slider.

made one from some high density anti-cut/pierce plastic that was used for several thousand miles...but it ended up succumbing to UV exposure

but for now, using

from Eb.a.y.c.om
$6 for one,
$12 for 3 shipped...

got it in 2 weeks..from China

had to 'trim' the back edge 'lip' for a flush fit, left the front 'lip'
and using adhesive instead of bolts...(since it doesn't line up)

It's not the highest quality plastic, but i actually JUST installed this unit..not even 100 miles..

will give more feedback(it breaks, wears early or whatever.~)
on the performance in a few weeks, when it gets some miles on it..

would really prefer to measure out a factory item for a different model bike that is a direct alignment for factory holes...

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #6248
mp350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Have no pictures of it , as of right now I have all the body panels off to prep for repainting. PO spray painted them black and it is pealing off in spots. And some one cut off the piece between the headlight fairing and tank , about 5" removed. But have cleaned the carb and am waiting on the kit to arrive which should be in 4 more days.
mp350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #6249
allmotor
n00b

Oddometer: 5
130/90/16

will a 130/90/16 fit the stock wheel setup on the nx250 bike? let me clarify what i'm going for here. I want a nice looking cruiser for a to b nothing too exotic or fast. I"ll be streeting this nx250 alot. So street tires is a must. I want to put the widest rear i can, i do have the 1984 rear 17 but room does not permit me to do the swap as of now. So a nice 16 street tire must do. I do have a new 100/90/19 shinko 712 and 130/90/17 rear (which now I know won't face) any help guys.

allmotor screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 11:13 AM
allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #6250
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 240
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor View Post
will a 130/90/16 fit the stock wheel setup on the nx250 bike? let me clarify what i'm going for here. I want a nice looking cruiser for a to b nothing too exotic or fast. I"ll be streeting this nx250 alot. So street tires is a must. I want to put the widest rear i can, i do have the 1984 rear 17 but room does not permit me to do the swap as of now. So a nice 16 street tire must do. I do have a new 100/90/19 shinko 712 and 130/90/17 rear (which now I know won't face) any help guys.
I put a Duro 130/90-16 on the rear of my 1989 & 1990 NX250's with no problems.
Plenty of room, fit good and handled good on and off pavement.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #6251
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
stainless steel manifold

I thought that you would like to know that the stainless steel manifold is now officially available at http://leiroshop.de/Motorradzubehoer...NX250::10.html (in German, but I think he can communicate in English).

It fits perfectly and the diameter is the same (so no more ponies, sorry ;-)) in order to avoid trouble with the authorities in Germany.

Price is 130€ (170$), shipping to the US is about 80$. Not cheap, but now the manifold will outlast the rest of the bike for sure ;-).

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #6252
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Turn signals not working

Took my 1990 NX250 out of outside storage shed today.
In checking it for this years inspection, I tried the turn signals.
First lamp I looked at was left front, it flashed.
Checked the right and no flash. Now all lights don't work, all out!

All other lights, head light, brakes & tail, dash, are ok. The fuses on left side of bike all measure ok.
( My manual dosen't tell which fuses are for what. )

The schematic shows a turn signal relay near the headlight. I haven't pulled the plastic off the front yet to check it.

Anybody have any ideas?
Also, can anyone tell me which fuses go for what circuits? Maybe a diagram of the fuse box showing which is for what circuit.

Also are there any connectors related to the turn signals that can be checked for bad connections.
My storage shed is sealed from the winter, but it's not heated in winter.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #6253
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Took my 1990 NX250 out of outside storage shed today.
In checking it for this years inspection, I tried the turn signals.
First lamp I looked at was left front, it flashed.
Checked the right and no flash. Now all lights don't work, all out!

All other lights, head light, brakes & tail, dash, are ok. The fuses on left side of bike all measure ok.
( My manual dosen't tell which fuses are for what. )

The schematic shows a turn signal relay near the headlight. I haven't pulled the plastic off the front yet to check it.

Anybody have any ideas?
Also, can anyone tell me which fuses go for what circuits? Maybe a diagram of the fuse box showing which is for what circuit.

Also are there any connectors related to the turn signals that can be checked for bad connections.
My storage shed is sealed from the winter, but it's not heated in winter.
the relay is a small 2 wire box on the right side, i think i mounts to the headlight frame,i think 2 black wires and the relay is in a rubber mount. cant remember...6bucks for a universal replacement but they are bigger and need to be mounted creativle...zip ties, id check the bulbs 1st, then spray the wd40 into the switch on the handlebar and work it around a bit. aside from that its likely a ground. or wait... on mine the harness that dips from the left grip was chaffed through down by the tank, had to splice it together and i think it was the blinkers that was affected. green wire if i remember. been a few years. good luck
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #6254
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Turn Signals

Thanks PTC. Tomorrow I pull the plastic and do-the-dirty-deed!

Must be something common. First try the left one flashed, and last year before winter storage, everything was working.

( NO! My storage shed is mouse proof. 3 Traps set for a couple of years now, and nothing cought.)
I went crazy with that expanding foam stuff when I built the shed.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #6255
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
NX250 round headlight

Hi there! I love my NX250, but must agree I never have been very found of the front fairing/headlight look.
Do you know if it would be possible to have a big round headlight like can be seen here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rQ32fxf-EJ...spot.com_1.JPG

If so, what would be the mods involved?

Best,
Sergio