Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #6332
wiltouterrain
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Nices AX-1!
I'd like to buy exhaust pipe/header and AAC from this bike!

I still have a trouble on mine,I've condamned fuel pump hole,but i still have lean carburation,RPM doesn't go back to 1500RPM after acceleration.
the bike run better with starter3/4 closed as my new video shows:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/316392/

what do you think about it?!
thanks all!
wiltouterrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #6333
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 278
Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltouterrain View Post
Nices AX-1!

I still have a trouble on mine,I've condamned fuel pump hole,but i still have lean carburation,RPM doesn't go back to 1500RPM after acceleration.

thanks all!
I had a 1988 NX250 that also had bad Carb. problems. I ran several tank fulls of carb. cleaner with limited results. ( Hi speed running improved.)
It would run ok, but when coming to idle, it would stay at high RPM's.

I finally took carb. off and disassembled it, blew out any openings, and sprayed Gum-Out cleaner into all openings and blew out both ways when ever possible.

After reinstalling it on bike it performed good. Idle came back to normal.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #6334
wiltouterrain
n00b

thanks Larry,
I've already do that,with valve's checking before the first start of the bike. i'll do it angain!

Here's a picture of mine,73000km:

as you can see,I don't have the plastic part around the front light.I need a blue metallic one,if someone sells that,I'd be interrested!
in a few days fork,brakes and wheels of the CB500 on it!

wiltouterrain screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 10:00 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #6335
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
How do u call them?

Hey there... quick question... How do u call in english, when u make your turning lights blink at the same time(left and right ones, front and rear ones..), so as to say "warning"???? I mean... that thing that cars do... how do u call that? is it blinkers?
I want to do that to my bike... But how do you call it?
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #6336
Local Machine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltouterrain View Post
Nices AX-1!

thanks all!
Theres a coupla things you could do mon ami,
a/ Clean your venturi jet (it's the tall one with them little holes all over its body), or
b/ Raise your slide needle a notch or two to get some more juice in the mix.

Make sure your gasket right at the top of your carburetor dont leak. Fire your bike up and just spray some carb cleaner fluid all over the throttle body. If you feel a rev difference then you may wanna change the gasket.
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #6337
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
Hey there... quick question... How do u call in english, when u make your turning lights blink at the same time(left and right ones, front and rear ones..), so as to say "warning"???? I mean... that thing that cars do... how do u call that? is it blinkers?
I want to do that to my bike... But how do you call it?
Emergency Flashers, or just Flashers.
Usually a device, "Flasher", wired to all lights that when current flows, a bimetallic strip heats up, and interrupts the current. When strip cools off, the lights come back on. This happens fast enough to make all lights flash at steady rate.
Some newer units have some electronic components in the "flasher unit.

My 1990 NX250 OEM flasher had resistors, and capacitor inside. I was able to install a generic flasher from local auto parts store until my dealer got the Honda one shipped in.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #6338
wiltouterrain
n00b

Thanks for answer, my gasket doesn't looks good,so I put some "gasket pasta",I'll receive a carb refection kit soon!

for warning I suppose you have to rely 2++ off 2 opposite turnning lights to a new interruptor.
I will do that also!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #6339
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 690
My starter crapped itself - for the third time in 45'000km's over the last 3.5 years.

So, today I initially removed the starter gear plate and was horrified to see what looked like milky water-filled oil come from that.

So, I dropped my engine oil and it was fine?? If water could get into the starter gear then surely oil would be able to get out, right?

After I removed the header and muffler and got the starter out it turned out a bearing had pretty much disappeared and one brush was toast - so that's being fixed.

Watery oil in starter gear is strange though - ideas??

Thanks,

J
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #6340
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
starter engine repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post

Watery oil in starter gear is strange though - ideas??
Today is your lucky day, because we already solved that problem a couple of weeks ago in our German NX250 forum – and another one, which you are probably not even aware at this point:

Honda never sold sealing and bearing or the complete front cover separately, so you would have to buy a new starter engine. But dont bother, it’s not available anymore.
The dimensions of the starter engine front cover (towards the starter gear) sealing and bearing are pretty exotic (13.5mm) and not easy to get:

Sealing BC1693F 13.5 X 24 X 6
Bearing HK 13.5 X 19 X 12

We finally found a source in Germany, but in other parts of the world you have to look for yourself ;-).
But there is another option: the Mitsuba starter engine is used in 99% of all motorcycles and ATVs, only the cover differ. So you can take a complete front cover from a TRX ATV, spare part number 31210-HC4-003.

The TRX cover has a one piece sealed bearing without a lock washer, so when used on a NX250 starter engine, you must eschew the lock washer.

As for the reason for the water-oil emulsion: if the o-ring (nr10) is leaky, the engine sucks in air, and the moisture of the air starts to accumulate in the starter gear and starter engine. The next thing that usually happens is that the bearing of the front cover starts to corrode and the starter engine will make a lot of unpleasant noise.

scrambler66 screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 08:30 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #6341
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
So.. Emergency flashers..

I know Its completely off topic.. but this is why Ive been asking how to call this stuff.. I made this video as a tutorial on how to make your blinkers work as emergency flashers. I did this on my CBF250, and hopefully, Ill be doing it on my NX too.

[Tutorial] Emergency Flashers

Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #6342
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Today is your lucky day, because we already solved that problem a couple of weeks ago in our German NX250 forum and another one, which you are probably not even aware at this point:

Honda never sold sealing and bearing or the complete front cover separately, so you would have to buy a new starter engine. But dont bother, its not available anymore.
The dimensions of the starter engine front cover (towards the starter gear) sealing and bearing are pretty exotic (13.5mm) and not easy to get:

Sealing BC1693F 13.5 X 24 X 6
Bearing HK 13.5 X 19 X 12

We finally found a source in Germany, but in other parts of the world you have to look for yourself ;-).
But there is another option: the Mitsuba starter engine is used in 99% of all motorcycles and ATVs, only the cover differ. So you can take a complete front cover from a TRX ATV, spare part number 31210-HC4-003.

The TRX cover has a one piece sealed bearing without a lock washer, so when used on a NX250 starter engine, you must eschew the lock washer.

As for the reason for the water-oil emulsion: if the o-ring (nr10) is leaky, the engine sucks in air, and the moisture of the air starts to accumulate in the starter gear and starter engine. The next thing that usually happens is that the bearing of the front cover starts to corrode and the starter engine will make a lot of unpleasant noise.
Thanks Scrambler

Being in Cambodia I just had a local shop repair the motor for $20, will re-assemble in the morning and she how she goes.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #6343
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Picked up a NX250, 4 Issues.

I've been going through the boards and have found some great info. I picked up 2 NX250's off craigslist last week, one running the other needs a tune-up. Both have heated grips, one has a Givi Top Box. And an extra, yes, extra engine (needs put together, everything there), 2 extra computers, an extra carb, extra set of plastic, new clutch, and a few other goodies). Splitting the deal with a buddy and we'll each get a bike out of it. Very excited about this deal. Now my wife can head out camping with me when I take my XC. Plus, it's just a fun bike to ride. I do have a couple of questions. Please feel free to give me advice on any of it.

1. Tires: It has street tires. Based on what I've read, I'm going to pick up the Bridgestone Trail Wing TW40's.

2. Skid Plate: Buy a piece of alum, cut it, bend it. No standard skid plate works. Correct?

3. Fork Boots: Daystar Fork Boots 234 Series - Royal Blue F00234RB03 will do the trick.

4. Fork Rebuild: I need some help here. Not sure what parts I need to order yet.

We took it out along with the CRF's over the weekend. My son laid it down (gently) when he couldn't make it up a hill...but then with street tires we didn't expect miracles. Looking forward to getting it geared up for some good dual sport action!

-Thanks!
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #6344
Local Machine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
The main weak link on any ax-1 nx 250 is the frame. Not the whole thing, just the part where the muffler is attached to it.
See, the stock muffler acts as a part of the chassis.
If you have this replaced the integrity of the whole bike is compromised and there is absolutely no way an after market bolt on exhaust to fix that.
Especially if you decide to use this bike on dirt.
Another weak spot is that puny steel frame that holds the dashboard attached to the rest of the bike. It's made of out of two thin steel plates that can be bent or twisted plenty easy.
Your choice on the tires is the best. Them trail wings are designed for this little bike.
Have phun
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #6345
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Nx250

Great find. Trail Wings are standard. I've had good luck using Duro HF904-51
130/90S-16 tires on rear. In fact, I like them so much, I put a Duro on the back of my KLR650. Nice compromise for street, and dirt.

You may find some idea's from my mod's. Seen here... http://www.powers31.info/nx250.htm

The NX will go places larger bikes can't go. It's low, so you can touch down in rough going.