User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #6391
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hey guys,

Turns out servicehonda asks $87 shipping for $25 gaskets. I cannot source them locally neither.

Any volunteers to help me out here? Just get them from wherever, stick them in a bubble envelope and send them to me USPS priority, no tracking. Should cost around $10. I will send you the money through paypal and throw in an extra $10 for your inconvenience. PM me if you are interested.

Part numbers 12251-KW3-003 and 12191-KBK-611 , costs $18 and $5 from servicehonda.

I will try to open her up and re-torque the cylinder bolts this weekend, see if it helps. I am worried that the water will erode the cylinder while I am waiting for the gaskets. Bike actually runs fine after you get it to start. This is my daily commuter.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #6392
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
I have a set of new piston rings.
One has "R" and one has "RN" writen on it.
Can someone tell me which one is the top one?
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #6393
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
Okay, found it.
R is the top one with the rounded edges.
RN is the second one wich has a square shape.
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #6394
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
Muzcul - forget about servicehonda to Turkey. Why not try ebay Germany - much closer and has to be far cheaper on shipping.

I was adjusting the valves on mine the other day when it was noticed my oil was coffee coloured.

Water pump seals, fixed them for $10. Luckily no damage done, must have just happened a day before I went adjusting valves.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #6395
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
gasket set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Muzcul - forget about servicehonda to Turkey. Why not try ebay Germany - much closer and has to be far cheaper on shipping.

rrrrrrright, if you want German parts, eat dis http://www.ebay.de/itm/121892-Motor-...ae1e14e73#shId

(complete engine gasket set for 41€ plus 29€ shipping to Turkey)

scrambler66 screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 12:26 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #6396
muzcuk
Adventurer

Hey guys,

Following Local Machine's advice, I re-torqued the bolts over the weekend and it helped a lot. They were seriously loose, and I don't know why. If they get loose again I am locktite-ing the crap out of them. (also replacing gaskets for peace-of mind)

The oil was milky as fuck and I wish I was blind not to see my brand new piston bathing in it. But I know this happened within a week because the oil I drained last week was perfectly healthy.

As for the ebay gaskets, I already have a set like that. Be careful about those, guys, the head gasket that came with my 'set' is a 2 mm thick piece of shit that is made of 3 layers (cork-metal-cork). I am sure it would cause more trouble than its worth if I would ever put it in the engine. I would expect reduced compression and near-impossible removal compared to the original metal gasket. So that's what you get with a 40$ kit. You have been warned.

About servicehonda, they used to be reasonable. I did get my piston and rings and several other pieces from them with reasonable shipping. I usually order from wemoto.com in UK, they deduce tax for international orders and offer very reasonable shipping. But in this case the gaskets are non-stock and would take several weeks for them to acquire (I know from experience).

So I fixed the bike and changed the oil on Saturday and went for a ride in the woods. My starter engine died the moment I got out of the woods. Turns out I've worn through a set of brushes last week while cranking the shit out of her.

Little bastard sure is getting expensive to maintain. :)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #6397
muzcuk
Adventurer

By the way, I installed a slightly bigger (~100 ml) expansion tank and it fills when the engine runs, but does not drain when its cool. So the water expands allright but it does not get sucked back into the radiator.

What would you make of this?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #6398
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Make sure the overflow hose reaches the bottom of the tank, is cut at an angle
And the tank is sealed and vented. Aside from that maybe kinked hose,or faulty
Radiator cap? Tank placed too low? Good luck & sorry she keeps breaking on you.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #6399
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Ad in Flea Market section for some used NX250 plastics.

HERE

Also got other surplus parts, PM me if you need any of it.

Thanks
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #6400
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybuck View Post
I KNOW that I set the timing properly when I put everything together initially and when I checked everything out today the intake cam was off a tooth. (!) That might explain the lack of power I had coming back.
I actually never checked the alignment of the cam timing marks when checking the valve play. But as it turns out now, the intake cam was off two teeth, the outtake cam one tooth. I do not know how long my Nixie was running with this setup, but it could have been a long time. Because I also noticed a lack of power for some time. Interesting enough, a second NX250 I looked at last week had the same offset, and after correcting it, it was running much stronger. So it seems to be a not that uncommon problem.

scrambler66 screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:41 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #6401
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
If your cam timing has changed like that, you may want to check the cam chain tensioner. It's a weak point in the system. If it fails, your cam chain will slip on the lower cam drive sprocket. This sprocket is machined into the crankshaft, and if the teeth get chewed up you need to replace the crank.

Ask me how I know.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #6402
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
If your cam timing has changed like that, you may want to check the cam chain tensioner. It's a weak point in the system. If it fails, your cam chain will slip on the lower cam drive sprocket. This sprocket is machined into the crankshaft, and if the teeth get chewed up you need to replace the crank.

Ask me how I know.
Yeah, I remember that post – at which mileage did that happen? My Nixie started to rattle softly at 70.000km – I changed the tensioner, but to no avail, the rattle continued. At about 98.000 km the rattle became so unpleasant that I tried massout’s tensioner fix – and the rattling was gone. It must have been shortly before that I noticed a lack of power for the first time. I credited the high mileage, but as it turns out now, it could have been the timing of the cams. As soon as I got a new cam chain I can tell if full power is regained.

My NX650 Scrambler http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766897

scrambler66 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 06:51 AM
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6403
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I can't remember how many miles it had, but it was probably around 15,000? Not a lot in my opinion.

Yes, change the chain and the tensioner if your timing has slipped. Before you order parts, pull the right side cover off and check the gear on the crankshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Yeah, I remember that post – at which mileage did that happen? My Nixie started to rattle softly at 70.000km – I changed the tensioner, but to no avail, the rattle continued. At about 98.000 km the rattle became so unpleasant that I tried massout’s tensioner fix – and the rattling was gone. It must have been shortly before that I noticed a lack of power for the first time. I credited the high mileage, but as it turns out now, it could have been the timing of the cams. As soon as I got a new cam chain I can tell if full power is regained.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #6404
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
Urgh. Mine just went and unseated two valves. Only changed last December - probably 9000km's ago.

Bike's cost me more money in the last seven months than since I bought her four years almost ago.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #6405
muzcuk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Urgh. Mine just went and unseated two valves. Only changed last December - probably 9000km's ago.

Bike's cost me more money in the last seven months than since I bought her four years almost ago.
I feel your pain, I actually snapped and bought a CRF250L last week. Injection, disk brakes and a halfway proper frame with aluminum swingarm. All things I could not have in NX, mine for $4000.

NX is a real nice bike but at some point it simply stops being feasible working on it. The money and time I have thrown at mine would make one hell of a bike if thrown at the CRF.

Good luck with the seats.