Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #6496
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by millesecond View Post
WoW, what a cool bike, how did you fit the africa twin bits to the AX
"Africa Twin (junior)" Decal Sticker. I like Africa Twin but it's too heavy for me.
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #6497
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
Shameless plug for my NX250...

Just listed my 1989 NX250 in the Flea Market thread.

Difficult to find in this near excellent condition.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #6498
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
luggage rack accessory

I would be interested in seeing some more photos of that rack accessory you have on the bike, and a brief explanation of it. Building something like that is on my list of winter projects. Thanks
...currently, but always looking for the next one
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #6499
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 328
better photos of my NX250's luggage rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
I would be interested in seeing some more photos of that rack accessory you have on the bike, and a brief explanation of it. Building something like that is on my list of winter projects. Thanks

My ADVrider friend (Merlin) built this rack up for me. It's loosely patterned after the design of the rack he built for his KTM990. By the way, he was the winner of the ALCAN 5000 a year or so ago. Plenty of slots and holes were made to accommodate bungies and straps.
Here's what I know about it:
>3/16" aluminum used overall. I did cut off an additional inch or so where the front edge would meet the rear edge of the seat; it now allows me to remove the seat easier when I strap on my sheepskin seat cover.

>Removed the OEM rear rack screws and the rear rack; replaced the screws with longer screws screwed into the hold-down rails that held the OEM rack in place. All mounting holes were countersunk to give a smoother look and to prevent snagging of my cloth saddlebags.

>A strip of weatherstrip rubber (1/2" thick) was adhered to the top of the side rails just to cushion the new rack.

>As you can see in one of the photos, a longer screw with a bushing, washer and nut replaced the rear OEM bolt going through the rear hole of the OEM rack.

>The original turn signals were replaced with ones that had a much shorter rubber stalk; front turn signals also replaced to match the new rears.

>Installation takes all of 10-20 minutes or so to remove the new aluminum rack and replace it with the OEM plastic rack.

>The unit is very solid. It is much larger than the OEM rack allowing for more loading of camping needs. I wouldn't just pile on lot's of equipment though; the NX250 shock was soft to begin with. Doing so would cause it to bottom out frequently.

Sure, happy to oblige. Pictures will tell most of the info you need.

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #6500
legends117
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
My ADVrider friend (Merlin) built this rack up for me. It's loosely patterned after the design of the rack he built for his KTM990. By the way, he was the winner of the ALCAN 5000 a year or so ago. Plenty of slots and holes were made to accommodate bungies and straps.
Here's what I know about it:
>3/16" aluminum used overall. I did cut off an additional inch or so where the front edge would meet the rear edge of the seat; it now allows me to remove the seat easier when I strap on my sheepskin seat cover.

>Removed the OEM rear rack screws and the rear rack; replaced the screws with longer screws screwed into the hold-down rails that held the OEM rack in place. All mounting holes were countersunk to give a smoother look and to prevent snagging of my cloth saddlebags.

>A strip of weatherstrip rubber (1/2" thick) was adhered to the top of the side rails just to cushion the new rack.

>As you can see in one of the photos, a longer screw with a bushing, washer and nut replaced the rear OEM bolt going through the rear hole of the OEM rack.

>The original turn signals were replaced with ones that had a much shorter rubber stalk; front turn signals also replaced to match the new rears.

>Installation takes all of 10-20 minutes or so to remove the new aluminum rack and replace it with the OEM plastic rack.

>The unit is very solid. It is much larger than the OEM rack allowing for more loading of camping needs. I wouldn't just pile on lot's of equipment though; the NX250 shock was soft to begin with. Doing so would cause it to bottom out frequently.

Sure, happy to oblige. Pictures will tell most of the info you need.

Thank you so much for those extra photos and details. Those will be a huge help! I am sure the bike will sell quickly at that price, in that condition. I was just at Barber's Festival and saw one not as nice, for $2400. If you decide to sell the rack separately, please let me know.

Thanks again and ride well.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #6501
Local Machine
Adventurer

Excellent level of fabrication, no doubt!
Thing is, this rack looks kinda like an overkill. I mean the weakest part of the AX1/NX250 is the rear portion of the frame. Perhaps this person who made this rack had it reinforced and rubber mounted for some xtra strength underneath.
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6502
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post

but for now, using

from Eb.a.y.c.om
$6 for one,
$12 for 3 shipped...

got it in 2 weeks..from China

had to 'trim' the back edge 'lip' for a flush fit, left the front 'lip'
and using adhesive instead of bolts...(since it doesn't line up)

So I guess after several thousand miles i would re-evaluate this 'experiment' for a chain slider....

well, so far...so good ~

can add the pictures later, but its holding up well, and it certainly was cheap enough..

just wanted to update everyone..

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #6503
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
back to life

It took me more than a year and a couple of new/used parts (e.g. engine, gas tank, fairing, muffler, seat etc.) but finally my AX1 is ready to go! Luckily, some AX1 parts are avaible at CMS - for instance the chain slider - the rest of the parts I got from Japan and Greece.

Before

After

My NX650 Scrambler http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766897

scrambler66 screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 04:42 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #6504
legends117
Adventurer

nice wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
It took me more than a year and a couple of new/used parts (e.g. engine, gas tank, fairing, muffler, seat etc.) but finally my AX1 is ready to go! Luckily, some AX1 parts are avaible at CMS - for instance the chain slider - the rest of the parts I got from Japan and Greece.
Those are some nifty wheels - where did you find those?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #6505
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
family meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
Those are some nifty wheels - where did you find those?
Those are stock AX1 wheels - the AX1 was the Japanese version of the NX250

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NX250

So now my little collection is complete - Xl250 Degree, NX250 and AX-1 on one picture - a view, rarely seen in nature .

My NX650 Scrambler http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766897

scrambler66 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 11:13 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #6506
Honda land cruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Talking Looking for a project Honda NX250

Hello,

I am in the market for a NX250. I prefer to get one in need of repair as my budget is limited. Something close to Spokane wa. is preferred.

If anyone knows where one is please get back to me.

TIA

Dan 509-385-12 seven two
Honda land cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #6507
IamsaparoS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Nice job

Before

After

[/QUOTE]
IamsaparoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #6508
Local Machine
Adventurer

@scrambler
Excellent restoration!
It looks amazing, especially with that dark blue paint job.
(Our Japanese friends have sometimes a peculiar taste in color combination and I don't always agree with it).
Well done
That degree bike out there in the back is pretty rare too!
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #6509
Fortunate Son
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Advice Needed

Hi Folks;

I'm new here, but really like what I've read so far. I actually found my second NX250 in here and will be selling my original. Right now I would like advice on grips and handguards. I need new grips and I think I would like handguards with a metal backbone, not just plastic shells.

I found Pro Taper pillow top grips which have a lot of good reviews, but I know people in here might know of something better.

I'm confused with the handguards though because the prices range from $18 to $140. And they don't look that much different.

Advice will be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #6510
177in70s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Solved Stall below 3000 RPM

June 2 '13, my 88 NX250 worked great at Mill Hall (Lock Haven) PA Durty Dabbers Dual sport. I left the front and back knobbies on and didn't use it much this summer. Took it to Meteor NJ Dual Sport and it would not run below 3000 RPM, came home very early that day. Studied this thread and other web stuff. Learned that it needed severe choke to restart each time it stalled, also learned that "timing light" blinked all the way to stall out. Guessed the low carb jet was clogged. Removed carb and sure enough, didn't take off pump, just carb bowl. Used one strand of #10 automobile wire, which is .015" dia. The slow jet is #38 or .38mm which is .015." With some effort the wire finally went through then light came through, scraped out some carb bowl junk, replaced carb, ran no better, slept on it. Took out carb again today, cleaned slow jet, counted turns in for low adjust needle, removed it and spring, removed high speed jet too, unclogged the cross holes with the wire strand, blew out jets and 3 passageways with air compressor, carefully cleaned and reassembled and it rode great for 20 miles today. Today I also put a good front Trail Wing on the spare front wheel I bought off ebay and a new spark plug I had. With two sets of rims I can easily now run it around town and then swap wheels for dual sport weekends. I think E10 gas moved some of the bowl o-ring squeeze in stuff into the bowl then into the slow jet and the high jet cross holes. I'll run carb dry more often late in the season now by switching tank to off while idling and gassing it in the driveway before I put it away.
177in70s is offline   Reply With Quote