Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #766
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 359
The old standby (cheap) exhaust mod I made this past summer.
Opened up the can with an small cut off wheel and covered with Inconel wire cloth for a spark arrestor.
Attached Images

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #767
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

The old standby (cheap) exhaust mods I made this past summer.
Header pipe weld was too tall.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #768
chub380
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Muffler

Its raining here so I did not get to take any pic, The muffler looks just like the one pictured ,less the welded on brackets. That universal band strap with holes in it was the strap I used to mount right to the existing muffler mount. I will try to find the part number if I can find the recipt. I know there were alot of different pipe sizes to chose from. I will also check and see hole close I cut the pipe from the old muffler[I believe about 1 inch in case I had to re use it]. I have had the muffler for a little over One year and so far I really like it. I should experiment more with adding or taking away disks. This is really great to have people to talk to with the same bike.Thanks again Chub Btw its not for a specific model it is univesal I am looking as we speak for the recipt.
chub380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #769
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

New to ADVrider and hopelessly hooked!

I ride my NX250 on the tightest, twistiest roads I can (OH.PA,WV). I needed to stop REALLY FAST a couple of times.
I added an EBC OS6001 280mm over sized rotor. I also used the EBC MXS185 sintered copper race pads. Now it stops incredibly fast; however, the lever is mushy from the 20 year old rubber line.
Who makes a SS front brake line for this bike?
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2008, 05:05 AM   #770
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 637
Local shop

I have not heard of anyone making brake lines for the NX, but there is always a chance that one will fit from another model.
Your best bet is to find a shop near you that can cutom build one for you.
Papa Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #771
zeph4x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Puke Brake line...WTF??

The NX brake line is BS...more complicated than it needs to be!
zeph4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #772
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
My first offroad day on the NX I was with a couple of KLR's and a yamaha 250 on knobbies. I was on TW's, the guys were in aw of how well the bike was able to keep up on street tires. We did hill climbs, gravel, water crossings, extreme ruts.

I can't wait until I fit a 17" rear wheel, knobbies, and new rear shock. All in all I was extremely happy with the ability of the bike.
Attached Images

CHEERS!
racingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #773
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

made it!
Attached Images

CHEERS!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #774
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

The gang.
Attached Images

CHEERS!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #775
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Did someone replace the stock foot pegs with some clete type pegs? If so can you repost the picture and the model they cam from?

Thanks

CHEERS!
Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #776
ineedarest
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Uk Ax-1

Hi guys and girls and greetings from the UK. I'm Bob and have been a regular visitor to this particular thread since I stumbled across it a month or so ago. Prior to that I was beginning to wonder if there was any interest in these great little bikes as my previous searches had found very little on the great WorldWideWait.
By the way, insomnia sufferers will find an instant cure here with my inane ramblings - I feel it only fair to warn you guys before you read any further.
To the best of my knowledge the NX250/AX-1 were never officially imported to the UK but one or two did begin to surface during the grey import boom that gained momentum here from roughly the late 80s until petering out in the late 90s. Both models are very unusual here in Britain.
My first exposure to the AX-1 was somewhere around the Autumn - sorry fall - of 1998. I was looking to purchase a cheap bike for commuting to my then job in London's West End. I used to ride to work every day and in all seasons and was getting a bit tired of spending so much time cleaning my bikes in an effort to partially slow the rate of depreciation just because I used a bike all year round.
Anyway, I saw an ad that was fairly local to me which said very little other than the fact that the guy was selling a 250 Honda. On the phone he just described it as a trail bike so I was expecting an old XL. When I arrived at the seller's house it turned out to be a blue AX-1. At that time I'd never seen one before but it was in fair condition and I could touch the floor (we ain't all 6 feet tall ya know). A deal was struck and I collected it the following day. What a laugh. It weighed nothing, was quite peppy for what it was, it was economical and I didn't have to worry too much about riding it through our often inclement whether. It was perfect for the daily grind into town. For me, that was about 17 miles each way but it would still take the best part of an our in the morning. My motorcycling buddies (GSXR's, Fireblades, Speed Triples etc) just couldn't see why I was so keen on this great little machine and would glaze over whenever I tried to extol its virtues. It's a bit of a cliche but these bikes - as you guys all know - are so much more than the sum of their parts.
About eight months later whilst travelling to work, I was taken out by another motorcyclist of all people. The accident threw me over the bars and I remember frantically trying to get up and off the road the instant I hit the deck. In the words of the immortal Hendrix song 'that ain't too cool'. Even I didn't know I could move that fast. Before I knew it there was a crowd of people around me and someone had kindly picked my bike up. Ironically, it happened outside a doctor's surgery and one of girls inside had already called an ambulance. I thought I was more or less ok but I knew both of my hands were really painful. I was carted off to hospital for a checkover but luckily nothing was broken. I went back to work the same day.....It was only two days later that I suddenly found I could hardly move. My back, neck, arms, legs in fact almost every part of me felt like I'd been given a real kicking. The long and short of it was that I was off work for a month with numerous visits to the osteopath.
The insurance company wrote off the poor little Honda as being uneconomical to repair.
Fast forward - well, not that fast actually as you'ved now gathered - to today. At the beginning of August I had to sell my then bike as I'd been out of work (still am but I live in hope) for a couple of months. Looking for something inexpensive, guess what jumped out of the classifieds at me....I couldn't believe it. It was only about the third AX-1 I'd ever seen for sale. This was a black one. I couldn't get through on the phone. The guy's bound to have sold it at that price I thought. Is the number right. Why is there never anyone home. I'd started to lose heart but about four days later I gave it one more try and the phone was answered AND it was still for sale. I was really chuffed. I subsequently borrowed a friends van and set off for the 320 mile round trip (no big deal for you guys i know) to pick up the bike. For reasons that I can't quite understand I was more excited about picking up this, my 50th motorcycle, than almost anything else I've bought. That includes bikes that were ten times the cost of the little AX-1 (obviously a few years ago when I at least had some cash...) but it brings such a smile to my face. Yeah, of course it's no rocketship and I do miss some horsepower but at least there are still two wheels in the garage.
I'll try to post some pics - if I can work out how to do it - but this little beastie is in pretty good order for an '89 bike. It's showing 30,000km but runs really well. I had to put a new Trail Wing on the front and some new front pads. I changed the oil and filter. Chain and sprockets have got plenty of life so hopefully no additional expense for a while. The plastics are in remarkably good order. The only thing that has been messed with as such is that a previous owner has painted the outer engine cases black - and not that well. If the pics do come out ok the bike will look better than it actually is but it's still fairly respectable.
Anyway guys, that's it from me (thank the lord I hear you sigh). Just like to thank you guys for a great thread. I'm pleased that there are others out there that value these great little bikes.
Sorry guys, just had a quick look and not sure how to post some pics.
ineedarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #777
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Scoot
I ride my NX250 on the tightest, twistiest roads I can (OH.PA,WV). I needed to stop REALLY FAST a couple of times.
I added an EBC OS6001 280mm over sized rotor. I also used the EBC MXS185 sintered copper race pads. Now it stops incredibly fast; however, the lever is mushy from the 20 year old rubber line.
Who makes a SS front brake line for this bike?
Where in Ohio are you? I am in Columbus and the pictures I just posted are up around Mohican State Park.

CHEERS!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #778
Jimster
Big Jim

Oddometer: 15
Muffler

I looked into a Marving NX Muffler at one point, but I cannot find the email...
Here is a url.

http://www.marving.com/faces/home.js...cgrfnbr=514048

I emailed them for a US distributor. I believe they said one was about to come online.
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #779
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

racingwoody

Quote:
Where in Ohio are you? I am in Columbus and the pictures I just posted are up around Mohican State Park.
Between Alliance and Salem.

I'm new here and to forums as a whole.
I have been tinkering with the NX250 this summer. I have severely customized several bikes recently http://www.projectbikes.org/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=221, but do not wish to compromise a very nice (rare) bike such as this.

I have completely read through both of the NX250 forums here in the last week and must say that I am impressed with the amount of talent being put into this bike. Hats off to all! Jeff's fault that the TW40 won't last 2500 miles.

To keep the revs in check (43 tooth rear sprocket), I ride some State routes but mostly County and Township roads. Goat paths are fun but slow.
An NX250 meet and ride would be great.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #780
Bucksport
Street Dog

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
I looked into a Marving NX Muffler at one point, but I cannot find the email...
Here is a url.

http://www.marving.com/faces/home.js...cgrfnbr=514048

I emailed them for a US distributor. I believe they said one was about to come online.
There's one on ebay Germany right now for about $400. http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVING-Auspuff-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Bucksport is offline   Reply With Quote