User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #811
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Bucksport, that really blows man, but don't be worried
the parts that broke are easily replacable, good thing no plastics or god forbid something more important broke.

The headlight stay is a weak part of the bike and tends to loosen up and get crooked even without crashing. Mine was really weak and bent out of shape cuz my bike was crashed a few times, so it would bounce harshly and bang against my hadle bars every time I would hit a big hole. I just bent it back a little and instaled the ingenious bracket reinforcment a-la-Jeff (man I am telling you, the man has all the good ideas) It is a super simple mod, that takes very little time and will go a long way in reinforcing your headlight stay and keep it from flopping arround. Read back through the treads and if you cant find it let me know and I will post the pics of mine.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #812
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,555
Thanks Arth!

Here is all my mods in a much easier to read thread...

http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1952
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #813
Bucksport
Street Dog

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro
Bucksport, that really blows man, but don't be worried
the parts that broke are easily replacable, good thing no plastics or god forbid something more important broke.

The headlight stay is a weak part of the bike and tends to loosen up and get crooked even without crashing. Mine was really weak and bent out of shape cuz my bike was crashed a few times, so it would bounce harshly and bang against my hadle bars every time I would hit a big hole. I just bent it back a little and instaled the ingenious bracket reinforcment a-la-Jeff (man I am telling you, the man has all the good ideas) It is a super simple mod, that takes very little time and will go a long way in reinforcing your headlight stay and keep it from flopping arround. Read back through the treads and if you cant find it let me know and I will post the pics of mine.
Thanks ArthDuro. I had seen that a while back, and now I think I'll actually be doing it.
And thanks for the link Jeff.
Bucksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #814
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksport
On another note, my headlight never really was perfectly in the hole, always set back just a little bit. Is that normal, or should I try to twist and wiggle it out?
This is a doozy.

Basically, when you remove the headlight cowl...you will see your headlight suspended by ,ummmm two? different brackets...

One holds the entire cluster assembly to the gooseneck(steering neck), the other is a 'W' shape that actually holds the reflector, lens, bulb, the wiring for the signals, etc....

I believe the 'W' is the one causing your headlight to
'sit back' in the cowl...

Grab both sides of the 'W' and then pull away from the bike...pull towards your chest...
It's like 10mm tool steel or something, and it wasn't easy to move...ok, I'll say it...it's darn hard to move!

But short of removing the entire assembly, this is the easiest way to bend it out enough to snap in your headlight cowl bung/tabs into those front grommets...

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #815
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 355
Engine Paint

Quote:
customerservice
Thank's for the paint prep Sir one more question should i use primer first or go straight with color. also i'm planing to use spray paint from cans.
Go with the High Temp. Paint only.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #816
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
oh yeah Mobbs

make sure you are using a high temperature heat resistant paint as HondaScoot has said. This is available in cans, but regular can spraypaint will not work as they are usually latex based and will crack, peal and burn in high heat. Here is a link to the brand I used on my exhaust I opted for a matt finish, but there are other options such as gloss and semi gloss.
http://www.vhtpaint.com - oh look they are redesigning the website
the other high quality option is this
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
They basically have anything you would need paint wise.

I dont know if these are available in the philipines but I am sure you can find a dealer or simply just order online.

let me know if you need more help

HondaScoot - what brand did you use for your yamaha?
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #817
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,670
The 500 degree high temp paint for engines should suffice in this application, i think ArthDuro brought the link(s) above..

The 1500 very high temp paint is matte, and is hard to get a good coverage coat...whereas the 500 degree is alot easier to cover the metal..

Also, the 500 degree should be fine for your engines cylinder head, it's watercooled, ya know...

NO PRIMER! I've seen high temp primer, and i've never seen it last for a given duration of time...not only that

some folks say that primer(or thick regular auto paint from a can) won't let the heat radiate out...
more of an issue on like an XR(aircooled) than say your XL degree(water)..but every little bit matters, when it comes to retaining (unwanted) heat..

But the high temp engine paint sticks to a properly prepared(cleaned, degreased, and paint adhesion promoted) engine cylinder head just fine, without any primer....(which doesn't stick well)

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #818
selah
Crestone

Oddometer: 63
Order in

Shock order is in.
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #819
Bucksport
Street Dog

So I went out in between rain showers yesterday, just to ride and make sure nothing was wrong. A friend had told me to check out the old city dump, and I had been there before, but only when it was nice and dry.It's out behind a fenced in off-leash dog park, so quite often there are people out walking with their dogs running around, but not so much during the week, in the mud and rain.
While she was still clean:

Fresh dirt and freshly graded, too:

As I was taking these pictures, I noticed a trail, and a bridge that I hadn't seen before:

So I went to check it out, and wondered, is this wide enough for the bike?

Well, it was, with about an inch or two on each side, and it led to this sloppiness:

Narrow muddy trails everywhere:

And of course in the mud, these come in handy, and are plentiful around this area:

More mud

A nice little bridge, but it was a bit too high to ride onto

So I made myself a ramp, which cracked when I was almost up, but it still did the trick

Finally on the bridge, tires and boots caked in mud

And one last shot in the woods:

It was a good day, lots of fun, and I learned some stuff, too. Like exposed roots are slippery, especially when they're diagonal on a downhill slope (yeah, I dropped it in the mud...), and that the trailwings really are crap in the mud.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #820
Bucksport
Street Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
This is a doozy.

Basically, when you remove the headlight cowl...you will see your headlight suspended by ,ummmm two? different brackets...

One holds the entire cluster assembly to the gooseneck(steering neck), the other is a 'W' shape that actually holds the reflector, lens, bulb, the wiring for the signals, etc....

I believe the 'W' is the one causing your headlight to
'sit back' in the cowl...

Grab both sides of the 'W' and then pull away from the bike...pull towards your chest...
It's like 10mm tool steel or something, and it wasn't easy to move...ok, I'll say it...it's darn hard to move!

But short of removing the entire assembly, this is the easiest way to bend it out enough to snap in your headlight cowl bung/tabs into those front grommets...
Thanks VC, that's what moved when it was knocked over, and I just need to give it a good yank forward.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #821
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Ok guys, here is the deal. I just got off the phone with Tom at Works Performance. We set it up so that you guys can call in and give him all your specs and payment information. This way we can avoid Paypal fees.
Just tell him that you are with The Quad Shop group buy, he already knows the deal.

His extenion is #21 and the number is 818-701-1010. This needs to be done pretty quickly so every one can get their shocks in a timely manner.

Thanks for the work on this Jeff.
I will be placing my order tomorrow.
Bump in the thread for those not seeing this post.
I almost missed it.

Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #822
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

High Temp Paint

Quote:
HondaScoot - what brand did you use for your yamaha?
Engine: Air or Water Cooled, Dupli-Color 500 deg. - ceramic "DE1613"

Header: VHT 1300-2000 deg. - silica ceramic "SP-102"

I am cheap and used the 500 deg. High Gloss Paint (left over) on my NX250 header after my exhaust mods this summer. The pipe looked great even after heat cycling; however, after about 20 miles of test runs while dialing in the carb., the first 6" just turned to carbon and blew off in the wind. So off comes the pipe to be completly wire wheeled to bare metal, wiped with Prep-All, and repainted with VHT.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #823
Jumpin Joe
89' NX 250; 2006 VTX 1300

Oddometer: 14
cowl repair

Does anyone have a good way to 'repair' the tabs that interlock the cowls together?

VC, when I bought my NX, the metal braces that connect the headlight fairing to the side fairing were broken off. I found some aluminum and fashioned (cut, bent and drilled) a couple of braces. I drilled and then pop riveted the new braces to the headlight fairing. Then I placed a rubber insert in the holes on the fiberglass/factory brace of the side fairing and used a tight fitting screw. It aint pretty on the inside, but works well. The only thing you see on the outside are the two poprivets on each side

I would post pics, but the bike is at the Honda shop for some much needed TLC.
Jumpin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #824
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Bucksport

Glad to see your bike is good to go!

A good headlight to cowling fit is required for seamless air flow around the bike. It takes time, patience, and multiple test fits.

I know because I low-sided my NX250 into the woods at 70+ mph chasing a Leader Bike through the twisties.

He had Tires & Sense - I had Pin It and Hold On

I broke off one mirror and bent EVERYTHING ELSE! I rode it 150 miles home that day. What a great bike!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #825
alpinegroove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Replacing Chain and Sprockets

Hello all,
Finding this thread is reassuring. I have a 89 NX 250, pearl and blue, 22k.
I would like to replace the chain and sprockets but cannot find instructions for how to do that in the online service manual: http://www.ratikk.narod.ru/mybike/ax1/manual.htm
Am I just not seeing it in the manual?
Has anyone here prepared step-by-step instructions for replacing chain and sprockets on the NX 250?
Or could anyone please refer me to such instructions posted on the web?
Thank you and have a good weekend.

alpinegroove screwed with this post 10-03-2008 at 06:45 AM
alpinegroove is offline   Reply With Quote