User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
525 chain on 520 rings...

Sounds silly doesn't it? and if I'd looked at what was stamped on the links rather than what was printed on the box I wouldn't have fitted a 525 chain onto my new 520 sprockets...

However, other than a bit more sideways play, there doesn't seem to be any difference pitch wise - so it would seem (other than noise perhaps) there should be no problem with running the wider chain - or does anyone know different?

I've not ridden the bike yet, but I'm not sure the shop will exchange the chain now it's been fitted...

Any help/advice etc.

JennyMo xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
520 and 525 chain are identical apart from the width of the rollers so you will not have any problems with it. I have run a 525 front sprocket, 520 rear sprocket & 525 chain on my DR for 5000 Km's without a problem (better selection of rear sprockets).
Just check that the wider chain will not foul any other part of the chain guide system, assuming it is supposed to have 520 chain, not 525.....
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Many thanks, I thought as much... however, I spoke to my shop and they are going to send out the correct (520) chain so I'll swap it over.

Like you say, other than perhaps additional chain guide/roller wear, the pitch of the pins is the same, so it's a good thing to know for an emergency in the future... mind you, I would imagine that in off-road conditions (where the load on the chain is not constant, but more on/off) it might accelerate the wear of the sprockets?

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,450
Probably a good move using the correct chain, at least then you are reassured it will fit all the drive line components. However, I can't see there being any ill effects from using the wider chain regarding wear, as the components are identical other than roller width.
For your info, 500 series chain is identical in all components, pin dia, roller dia, side plate size etc, the 5 representing the pitch in 1/8ths of an inch ie; 5/8ths and the 20 or 25 representing the roller width in 1/8ths of an inch ie, 520 series is 2/8ths wide, 525 series is 2.5/8ths wide.

I've successfully used a combination of sprockets and chains without any obvious ill effects but it is a bit hard to measure wear when I ride on gravel, sand and mud........they all become a bit consumable!
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Over a year later since the last post but.....

Im in the process of fitting a new chain to my DR and found the 525 is trickier to find than the standard 520 or 530. What im being told is that the slack between the wider chain (say a 525 on a 520 sprocket) will wear the sprocket out much quicker, especially if you ride ...... spiritedly On road or off Im ripping on my DR, my throttle input is more often than not, immediate and harsh causing deterioration of the sprocket quickly.
Just food for thought
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,127
It will prematurly wear out the sprockets. The chain will tend to move side to side upon the sprockets and wear off the "corners" of the teeth. I have seen this mostly on sportbikes where the user didn't know thier chain was 525 and installed a 520 sprocket to accelerate faster. End result, faster worn out sprockets. It will work, just not as long.YMMV
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote