User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Discovery OP
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
XChallenge -> Super Moto

I'd really like to look into doing this. But not sure where to start. Can we start a thread with ideas on how to do this - preferably with ease to switch back and forth.

Thanks

Bob

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Somone on here posted pics of his X Challenge with 17" front wheel and street slicks.. looked very cool..

All you need are another set of wheels..
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Discovery OP
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Somone on here posted pics of his X Challenge with 17" front wheel and street slicks.. looked very cool..

All you need are another set of wheels..
Thanks GB - yep spent most of the night searching for that which is why I started the thread - if you could refer me I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
I did not save the link, but I did save the pics. This is not my bike, it's an inmate's on this site, and I don't recall the name:

Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I'm also thinking about doing this... The member who posted those pictures is "srosa." This is the information he sent me on a p.m. Never heard back from him... I think he was going to sell his X...

"I purchased the wheels from Woody's Wheel Works. They are standard supermoto 3.5 and 4.25 sizes and come with new Pirelli SuperCorsa tires. "

There you go...
GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
John 10:10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB007
I'm also thinking about doing this... The member who posted those pictures is "srosa." This is the information he sent me on a p.m. Never heard back from him... I think he was going to sell his X...

"I purchased the wheels from Woody's Wheel Works. They are standard supermoto 3.5 and 4.25 sizes and come with new Pirelli SuperCorsa tires. "

There you go...
What did the wheelset run you made up? I have tried Woody's but can't get a price out of them
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,860
anyone have any new developments on this? new products?
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
I've done a lot of research on this...Even spoke with Woodys...and East Coast wheels, and another co.

Bottom line is it's a $1,700+ investment, and that doesn't include a rear disc or the new rear sprocket and hub...

the hubs for our bike cost in excess of $600 for the pair...then you have to buy the rims and spokes..and woody's recommends a certain "Lacing" pattern that he specializes in...which means that you buy a set of rims without holes, and he drills the rims to meet his specs...

I'm still working on trying to get the spoke lengths and then match them up with the correct 36 hole rims...

Your looking at spending about $2,100 after all is said and done...From the 2 X owners I've spoken to, you need to run a smaller rear sprocket when running the 17" wheels....

If money is no object, I'd suggest ordering from Woody..

It just kills me that I can pick up a complete set of SuMo wheels/tires for my honda for <$800...

If I ever get the right answers, I'll be happy to share them, however I'm leaning toward put the $$ into an enclosed trailer that I'll get a hell of a lot more use out of...
Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
toofast, I'm not sure I fully understand why the other x riders went to a smaller rear sprocket. Granted you get more top end speed but it takes longer to get there. I run stock and find it's plenty as when I'm in SM mode it's all about having fun around town. The freeway jots are ok at 75mph and I have a few 1 1/2 hr superslab sessions under my belt with the set up so no issues there. Unless these guys have went down a tooth on the front I'd leave the rear alone.

THe rotors are the only things I swap when doing a wheel change which take no time at all. The rear drive is a cush drive so that's almost too easy.

If this is something you want to do I suggest just shell out the $ and do it so you can enjoy. The reality is that our bikes are not going to have a flood of aftermarket hubs so the waiting game is not likely a good plan.

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
interesting...I'll definitely keep that in mind (about the rear sprocket)...That's kind of what I thought....the stock rear is 18" and I thought to myself how much of a difference is the 17" really going to make..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I've been looking to do this as well. Use my stock rims with knobbies for dirt and the 17" rims for commuting, track days, etc... Almost like getting 2 bikes for an additional 2g it sounds like. Not cheap but not that bad as well...
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
interesting...I'll definitely keep that in mind (about the rear sprocket)...That's kind of what I thought....the stock rear is 18" and I thought to myself how much of a difference is the 17" really going to make..
I built my sumo (Honda NX650) with 17" tires. If I built another one and could save some money with 18's I wouldn't hesitate. If you're planning to race you'll want 17's, but if it's just for street fun I can't imagine it will matter much. Also, if you want to save money on you sumo conversion you can lace the wheels yourself. It doesn't require any special tools or talent, just a lot of patience.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
When I owned my DRZ I made up a set of road wheels for about 200, including discs and tyres. Someone discovered that with a few minor mods the wheels from the RGV250 or GS500 could be used. After that quite a few people went down the same route. So if anybody lives near a friendly bike breaker and has the time to rake through his stock of wheels there may well be a cheaper way of getting a second set of wheels. Any volunteers?

The critical dimensions are the width of the hubs as different bearings can often be fitted to match the spindle diameter. Ideally the rear hub should have the same distance between the sprocket and disc, and a matching offset. On the front you need to be able to match the offset of the disc. Finally you need to be able to get the correct diameter discs on the wheels and a set of spacers. On my RGV wheels I had a carrier made up for the front which matched the disc holes on the wheel and had separate holes to match the DRZ disc. This also gave the correct offset. The rear needed the outside of the sprocket carrier shaving back a fraction, a very large washer to replace one of the spacers and a different disc.

I will start up my other computer in a day or two and see if I can post some pics of the conversion.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
cheap wheels!

They don't look quite as nice as a set from woody's but they cost a lot less.

( I can see the pics so hopefully you can all see them too)

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,789
I love the look of three spoke wheels on sumos. I think your conversion looks great. Your rear rotor could use some cross-drilling (a lot of cross-drilling), but otherwise I think it's perfect.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote