User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
graham7summers OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
bmw f650 non starter

can anyone help i have a bmw f650 funduro the other night i was riding home and it backfired and stalled so i went to start it and the battery would only turn the engine slowly so i tried to bump start it and it started and rode the 1.5 miles home and left it in the morning it tried to start it and it started relucktantly so left it over the weekend.
then tried to start it monday and the battery was flat it turned over slowly so got some jump leads and it did start left running fo a minuite then turned it off then tried to start it a few minites later and it refused to start it i took the plugs out wich were wet so cleaned them up let the cylinder dry checked if the plugs spark and both do but still it refuses to start even with a new battery when cranking it spits back through the carbs and there is compression i even tried easy start im at a loss can anyone please help.
graham.
graham7summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7summers View Post
can anyone help i have a bmw f650 funduro the other night i was riding home and it backfired and stalled so i went to start it and the battery would only turn the engine slowly so i tried to bump start it and it started and rode the 1.5 miles home and left it in the morning it tried to start it and it started relucktantly so left it over the weekend.
then tried to start it monday and the battery was flat it turned over slowly so got some jump leads and it did start left running fo a minuite then turned it off then tried to start it a few minites later and it refused to start it i took the plugs out wich were wet so cleaned them up let the cylinder dry checked if the plugs spark and both do but still it refuses to start even with a new battery when cranking it spits back through the carbs and there is compression i even tried easy start im at a loss can anyone please help.
graham.

Tru going to the f650.com site and before you ask anything, check out all the technical FAQs. They are good guys, but want you to do your homework first before you ask questions that may have been answered already.

Best place on the web for a Funduro owner!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
digiphreak
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7summers
graham.

As Mista Vern noted, F650.com is a great resource. I had a similar problem last Fall after a long ride on a very hot day (103 D.). If you have access to a multimeter (DC volts) jump it to get it running, remove the jumpers, then check the voltage across the battery (positive terminal/negative terminal). If it is around 12 volts with the motor running, you're not charging. While this can be caused by several things (stator problems, wiring issues, etc.) the F650 (at least up until 1999) is notorious for cooking off the voltage regulator/rectifier. The VR is found under the seat bolted to the rear fender and has fins on it for cooling. Being under the seat pretty much defeats the whole cooling thing. I had symptoms similar to yours- the bike wouldn't rev over 4K, started spitting back, and finally just wouldn't run. I could charge the battery overnight with my Battery Tender and then it would run fine for a while (if you have an appropriate charger you might want to try this as it might rule out some other problems, but it needs to be a good, deep, slow charge).

If it does turn out to be your VR, either relocate the new one to where there is some air, or swap in a VR from a 2001 650 GS (also relocated). The GS unit will require some adapting. I went this route and am very happy- a rock-steady 14.5 Volts no matter what.

You can find detailed info on both the relocation and the GS VR swap on F650.com under "electrical". Good Luck!
digiphreak is offline   Reply With Quote