User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
scraper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Rider hit in cherry hill, NJ last night, Rt 70

i was on my way home from picking up my new pipes for the scrambler & came upon some traffic. as i approached the scene, i saw a dark red metallic sport touring bike blown to pieces all over the road. a little further up i see the rider being taken care of by EMT in the median. i had to pull over. i knew there wasnt anything i could do at that point but i had to see how the guy was & what happened.

im not totally sure but i think he was riding in the right lane & someone from the left lane took an emergency right hander in front of him. the bike hit the right rear/side of the car. the rider seemed ok, he was responsive & not bleeding anywhere that i could see. he had proper gear which one of the nurses on the scene said saved him. his full face was banged up a bit & he had a protective jacket on that took a hit on the shoulder. i remember hearing him say that he felt ok, except for his toe.

i couldnt get over how blown apart the bike was - there were pieces spread over 30-40 yards on both lanes. the driver of the car was fine. nobody else was involved. i couldnt make out what make/model of the bike since it was destroyed but it was definately a modern deep dark red metallic sport tourer. any ideas of what it couldve been? maybe a honda ST?

anyhow, i was wondering if anyone knew this guy or if he is on here - just want to see how he is doing & what exactly happened. be careful out there!
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Thank God he's alright or at least not too banged up. I wonder what the outcome would have been with a DOT brain bucket and no jacket? I'm glad the guy wasn't hurt more.

bogey78
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
v4rider
Re-tread

Oddometer: 1,089
I know him and have been talking to him this morning. It was an ST. He is banged up and very sore but was wearing "most" of his gear (everything except armored pants). The accident was caused by the cage making a left hand turn in front of him. He had zero chance to avoid. His equipment and his reflexes saved him from more serious injury.

Sigh.....another very experienced rider (MSF instructor) who puts 50K miles a year on his bikes get taken out by another bozo in a cage making a left hand turn without adequately checking oncoming traffic.
v4rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
scraper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
hey mike - good to hear you know the guy. please send him my best wishes next time you talk to him. just let him know a fellow rider was on the scene to see how he was doing.

that poor bike was obliterated, good thing he wasnt.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Good news.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
i had to pull over. i knew there wasnt anything i could do at that point but i had to see how the guy was & what happened.

As an emergency responder, I would discourage this behavior. Please don't take it personally, but lookyloos further endanger the lives of those inside the accident zone, both providers and victims. If you cannot help, are not trained to help, or there is not need to help, please do not stop.
Glad this rider is OK.
ATGATT

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,689
Hater! Curiousity killed the cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156
As an emergency responder, I would discourage this behavior. Please don't take it personally, but lookyloos further endanger the lives of those inside the accident zone, both providers and victims. If you cannot help, are not trained to help, or there is not need to help, please do not stop.
Glad this rider is OK.
ATGATT
Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Riding After Accident

do you think he will ride again?50K a year is alot more miles than i put on.i dont worry so much about cagers in my home state of wisconsin as i do DEER.they are alot less predictable than any CAGER.he must have been quite an experienced rider to have walked away from that accident.my own feeling is that EXPERIENCE is the best teacher.there are going to be alot of newbies who will get killed this year because they dont have the riding skills needed to survive in situations this experienced rider did.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
v4rider
Re-tread

Oddometer: 1,089
I don't know if he will ride the street again. He, like many of us, rides both the street and offroad. His comments this morning lead me to believe that he will, for a while at least, be spending more time offroad than on. We all have to face the unavoidable fact that many drivers simply don't notice motorcycles on the road. It's not malicious and it's not deliberate in my opinion. I've seen it happen too many times to me and to friends. We all rely on experience and skill to anticipate and avoid potential incidents but we are all subject to the inescapable mathematics that at some time we will find ourselves in a situation where a crash is unavoidable if we ride long enough. Hopefully we all have the reflexes, skill, and equipment to minimize the damage but the risk is still there.

He is an outstanding rider, both offroad and on. I've spent many days riding with him and he is a much more skilled rider than I am with a keen sense of situational awareness. That situational awareness, his reflexes, and his gear are what allowed him to survive an otherwise serious crash. His farkled ST simply exploded.
v4rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Wal-n2brk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I think he's serious about no more street riding, though he admits that the thought kills him :-(
Attached Images

Wal-n2brk screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 07:31 AM
Wal-n2brk is offline   Reply With Quote