ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,163
Just an FYI... I had a 60CS wired to the moto, but left the batteries in anyway. After some months, when the unit was off the moto and powered by batteries the slightest tap would shut it off. The contacts looked good (no visible arc damage) and I sent the unit back to Garmin and they completely refurbed the unit (biffed up buttons and display bezel replaced!) under warranty. Their report said the contacts were damaged internally.


So I never run units on the moto that take AA's with the batteries installed. Next time the failure might happen after the warranty expires....


YMMV...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Just an FYI... I had a 60CS wired to the moto, but left the batteries in anyway. After some months, when the unit was off the moto and powered by batteries the slightest tap would shut it off. The contacts looked good (no visible arc damage) and I sent the unit back to Garmin and they completely refurbed the unit (biffed up buttons and display bezel replaced!) under warranty. Their report said the contacts were damaged internally.YMMV...
The batteries are on a small daughter board that only contact the mother board with two pressure contacts. If they vibrate adn rub they can fail. This is a very good idea especailly on an "x" since you can power it from the USB port in the house at your computer.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Just to bring this thread back from the dead, I'm having the same issue with my 60Cx.

6000RPM on my 1-cylinder seems to be the worst speed, about 75MPH in 6th gear.

What I actually think is happening is that the vibration is messing up the unit's estimate of the battery voltage, as the battery meter appears to drop before the unit shuts off. After a shut-off, even hand-holding the unit the battery power may go out. I don't think it's a matter of losing power all at once, but the unit powering itself down when it senses the voltage dropping.

Anyone switched to the Oregon, Montana, or Dakota after a 60CSX and been happy?
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
Anyone switched to the Oregon, Montana, or Dakota after a 60CSX and been happy?
Oh yes, but the Montana's the only one of the three you suggested which has a proper power connection, through a wired mount with surface connectors.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 60Cx. What I actually think is happening is that the vibration is messing up the unit's estimate of the battery voltage, as the battery meter appears to drop before the unit shuts off.
Is it hard wired to bike battery? If not do it and don't run internal batteries, much less mass and therefore vibration problems.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
The batteries are on a small daughter board that only contact the mother board with two pressure contacts. If they vibrate adn rub they can fail. This is a very good idea especailly on an "x" since you can power it from the USB port in the house at your computer.
I have been able to fix battery problems by taking the unit apart and cleaning and bending these contacts up and putting dielectric grease on them. I've done this twice in 4 years and it has worked like a charm each time.

If you use external power I would recommend disconnecting the tiny internal connector. Then try to clean the contacts on both sides and put dielectric grease on them too.

And while you're at it clean the grease the contacts on both ends of the external power connector.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
Just to bring this thread back from the dead, I'm having the same issue with my 60Cx.
6000RPM on my 1-cylinder seems to be the worst speed, about 75MPH in 6th gear.
Anyone switched to the Oregon, Montana, or Dakota after a 60CSX and been happy?
Don't give up on your 60 until you wire it to the bike's 12vdc. I got a montana 600 recently, while I like the bigger display I have to stop to use the touchscreen. I would prefer buttons.
__________________
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
I'm not sure why people think the power cable alone is going to put and end to the vibration related shutdowns on the 60. Mine continued to die with batteries and power cable hooked up. I didn't open my 60 to work on the internal connections, though.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
Don't give up on your 60 until you wire it to the bike's 12vdc. I got a montana 600 recently, while I like the bigger display I have to stop to use the touchscreen. I would prefer buttons.
GPS for moto is really frustrating these days.

The 60Csx is still the best moto GPS Garmin has made as far as I can tell hardware-wise. The 62 series isn't impressing anyone, and I see the Montana as being the unit of choice on this board not because of the touchscreen but because of its top-of-the-heap feature set like those external power contacts that don't break the waterproof barrier.

...and all this just to get the unit to stayed powered on and alive on the bars where you can operate it, then there's the crappy old software and the problem of finding a decent set of maps that won't set you back half the cost of the unit every year.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
GPS for moto is really frustrating these days.

The 60Csx is still the best moto GPS Garmin has made as far as I can tell hardware-wise. The 62 series isn't impressing anyone, and I see the Montana as being the unit of choice on this board not because of the touchscreen but because of its top-of-the-heap feature set like those external power contacts that don't break the waterproof barrier.

...and all this just to get the unit to stayed powered on and alive on the bars where you can operate it, then there's the crappy old software and the problem of finding a decent set of maps that won't set you back half the cost of the unit every year.
You obviously haven't tried the Montana. It's light years ahead of the 60 in a whole lot more ways than just the power connection. Maps have never been cheaper, and there are free ones out there which rival the Garmin ones.

But one major advantage of the Montana and the rest of the modern line is that you have a helluva lot more flexibility in the map loading, since they don't all need to be loaded at once into one file as on the 60/76 series and most of the other legacy units.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
DCMC
Supermoto Rider
 
DCMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You obviously haven't tried the Montana. It's light years ahead of the 60 in a whole lot more ways than just the power connection. Maps have never been cheaper, and there are free ones out there which rival the Garmin ones.

But one major advantage of the Montana and the rest of the modern line is that you have a helluva lot more flexibility in the map loading, since they don't all need to be loaded at once into one file as on the 60/76 series and most of the other legacy units.
Ugh, yeah I certainly know that pain. Having to bake your own map images to get topo and route-able street maps requires a flipping computer science degree to do properly. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any maps made by ADVers like the ones I described.

I'm probably going to get a Montana with a proper mount as soon as I've had it with the 60Cx.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,561
There are sponge rubber nose pads that you put on eyeglasses to make them more comfortable. I put these on the battery cover over the batteries and it snugged it up enough to stop the batteries from vibrating and losing contact
__________________
RIDE SAFE
1998 KTM RXCE LC4, DR650, 07 DL650
Very obtuse at times
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
There are sponge rubber nose pads that you put on eyeglasses to make them more comfortable. I put these on the battery cover over the batteries and it snugged it up enough to stop the batteries from vibrating and losing contact
Often it's not the batteries losing contact; it's the battery terminals to main circuit board that loosens up. Your method will work in some cases of vibration induced shutdown, but not all.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 6,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Often it's not the batteries losing contact; it's the battery terminals to main circuit board that loosens up. Your method will work in some cases of vibration induced shutdown, but not all.
Thanks just another idea that has fixed 2 hand held for now
__________________
RIDE SAFE
1998 KTM RXCE LC4, DR650, 07 DL650
Very obtuse at times
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!
 
toddiscdn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Blue Point, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,006
I also say to anyone, dont give up on the 60 yet. I guess im one of the lucky ones, Ive been running my 60 csx for years now on both my sled and bike with minimal issues, hard wired to both, with batteries in so it stays on when the ignition is off. Ive used both a cig. lighter plug and direct wire with both of them being direct wire now and good quality rechargable batteries.

The bike is my DR 650 thumper and the sled is a 800cc 2 stroke that appears to be shaking itself to death at idle, lol. Im sure mines checked out a couple times, more so on the sled I think, but mostly its been no issues, as I said I think Im one of the lucky ones as I have killed a couple legends before.

If you can hard wiring is the key I think. Even on old or 2 stroke bikes it can be done, on the sled I made up a very simple rectifier to convert AC to DC to run the unit and even mounted a very small gell battery to store the power as well. I stole that idea from this unit http://snobunje.com/public/store.php...on=show_detail


Good luck, Todd
__________________
"It's all about the beer"
drcool
08DR650 - Jack of all trades, master of none
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014