User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,026
FMF's too loud

I've got a set of FMF's on my 950, and they're louder than I'd like for touring. I'd really rather not go back to the stock mufflers, because they make the bike run so darn hot. Is there another option out there for something farily quiet?

Thanks,
VT
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,305
Remove the cats from your stockers, heat problem gone, a nice sound that won't scare the farmer when your 1rst gearing it across his property.

DW
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,026
What's the best method for taking them out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner
Remove the cats from your stockers, heat problem gone, a nice sound that won't scare the farmer when your 1rst gearing it across his property.

DW
Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageThumper
What's the best method for taking them out?

Assuming the cans are similar on all the 950s, doesn't look easy. No seams on the stockers of the 950SE or 950SM. It looks like they would need to be cut, scooped out, and welded back together. The cat is good sized, starting from where the header goes in to the exhaust. I would bet that they would be louder than stock after you go through all that too.

The Leo Vince pipes all come with several different tips that can be used, some quieter than others. There is a spark arrestor tip as well.

Another option I've seen used on other dirt oriented pipes is a exhaust insert that is supposed to cut the noise. I can't think of the brand right now, but if you search around, I bet you can find an insert that would cut the noise a bit for the FMFs.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
mutt2jeff
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
I have a set of de-cated stock mufflers that I will be happy to trade for the FMF's

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Assuming the cans are similar on all the 950s, doesn't look easy. No seams on the stockers of the 950SE or 950SM. It looks like they would need to be cut, scooped out, and welded back together. The cat is good sized, starting from where the header goes in to the exhaust. I would bet that they would be louder than stock after you go through all that too.

Experience speaking???

It's a very easy mod, take the cans off, from the header side you can see the CAT, drill and chissel it out, takes about 30 min per side. Do a search here in OC, you'll find a how-to if you need.

One of the best, low cost mods I've done on the orange monster.

DW
Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
ecampo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Experience speaking???

It's a very easy mod, take the cans off, from the header side you can see the CAT, drill and chissel it out, takes about 30 min per side. Do a search here in OC, you'll find a how-to if you need.

One of the best, low cost mods I've done on the orange monster.

DW

what do you mean with just to drill and chissel it out, I read you have to cut it where the soldering is , and then cut all the creap inside and then soldering again, am i right??, yours looks easy...
ecampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,228
Somewhere there is thread showing how to decat the stock silencers. I think that Nedure did it. It looks easy, but I haven't tried it. The difficult part appears to be finding someone to tig the stainless can back together.

-dod
Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
Quote:

DW
This does NOT work. I removed the cats from my stock exhaust. It was still nearly as hot as precat cans. The only way to get a muffler to not be as hot is to have it a metal that removes heat from the system quickly, IE alumninum or TI.
ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
imgonnasnap
Motard wrecker

Oddometer: 808
If you are really dead set on doing it, here are some pics from when I did it. Parden the bad cut marks, my bandsaw blade crapped out on me. After doing this and spending a few months catless, I finally ditched the stock catless setup to go to a FMF Ti set up.

ride the $*#(@) thing, and you'll quickly learn that the stain marks in your brooks were firstly from fear and then from ecstacy.
Scuderia: LB to SF
Bradshaw Bombrun 2007, 2008, 2009
Stupidly long road trip of 2009
imgonnasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
I also think the FMF's are too loud (as just mentioned in another thread). I'm using the bike to commute, and dislike making that much noise in the mornings warming the bike up.

Thinking of trying a couple of these:

http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/produ...t/dB_Dawg.html

Either that or fab up something similar. Sucks that our options are so limited, and that FMF would call these "quiet".
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
I've got 2 950s now, one previous and I removed the cats from 6 cans so far. Old drill bits in about 1", wood cutting tips, long needle nose pliers, a hammer and a old chisle are needed along with a wood block and a garden hose with running water, add a dose of commitment as it is a PITA for about a full hour from start to finish.

Used drills are fine as it dosen't need to be sharp. Set the cans on their nose on a 2 X 6 or similar, they take a beating, which you will give them, without denting or blemishing. Have a buddy handy with gloved hands to grip the can, start drilling thru the tip into the visible cat material, ream it out as much as you can and drill as many points as you can. The cat is brittle and will start flaking and breaking. Next, chisle away, break it into thin strip, grip it with long needle nose pliers and twist, it'll break and pull out piece by piece. eventually you get it all broken, I ran water from a garden hose into and thru it to flush it out, nothing inside can be hurt by this. Keep sloshing it and draining it as it will shoot out any pieces you leave behind. Bolt it back up and enjoy, they are heat free, as much as a muffler can be. Run just as quiet as stock and are a joy compared to the dent prone aftermarket noise makers.

If you want a real treat, run it 2-1, I tested by just capping off the right side can, it worked fine and will be be even quieter and power from idle up to a thick mid will be unbelievable, lower to no vibes anymore at any cruise speed too. I spent 30 minutes with a grinder and welder to convert the "H" pipe into a 2-1 and it is excellent, especially off road, the bike just idles up nasty snotty trails.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
I also think the FMF's are too loud (as just mentioned in another thread). I'm using the bike to commute, and dislike making that much noise in the mornings warming the bike up.

Thinking of trying a couple of these:

http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/produ...t/dB_Dawg.html

Either that or fab up something similar. Sucks that our options are so limited, and that FMF would call these "quiet".

I made my own reducer baffles with 1" X 3/4" copper reducers - - - it actually made my 950 more powerful (stock jetting).
Slide the 1" side over the spark arrester screen.
Attached Images

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
I've got 2 950s now, one previous and I removed the cats from 6 cans so far. Bolt it back up and enjoy, they are heat free, as much as a muffler can be. Run just as quiet as stock and are a joy compared to the dent prone aftermarket noise makers.
Yepp,

DW
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,113
I gutted my cats without having to cut and re-weld the cans.

The trick is to gouge them out with a big-ass drill with them laying on their side so you don't drop bits down the muffler. The pipes that run to the next chamber after the cats are an inch and a half above the bulkhead so if the cats are gouged out with the cans laying on their side you can stand them up and vacuum any remaining scraps out without them falling into the muffler.

It took a total of about 2 hours for me to do mine including removing and re-mounting them on the bike.

They still get a little hot but not as bad as they did with the cats in, if your cans are getting really hot then you're jetted too lean.

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote