Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #31
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann
I made my own reducer baffles with 1" X 3/4" copper reducers - - - it actually made my 950 more powerful (stock jetting).
Slide the 1" side over the spark arrester screen.
I think I'll try your trick.
I have GPRs with a useless (in the noise department) end cap, so I can add an insert to them
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315786

But...should I add just a longer constant-diameter tube?

Or, to reduce noise, a tube with decreasing diameter works better? (like your reducers)

Thanks

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #32
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
I'll donate my old cans to somebody if they want a 'practice set' to feck around with....PM me if interested, I need to get rid of these things....

I don't think my Akrapovics are too loud, but that's just me...
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #33
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti
I think I'll try your trick.
I have GPRs with a useless (in the noise department) end cap, so I can add an insert to them
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315786

But...should I add just a longer constant-diameter tube?

Or, to reduce noise, a tube with decreasing diameter works better? (like your reducers)

Thanks
The longer and smaller diameter the tube - - - the quieter. I have already extended mine a little.
My inside diameter = 7/8"

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Thanks mate!
So...it would make sense to make a long & conical Db killer? That way I would have a very quiet one that I can cut to get the desired noise level (as you can guess, I have never seen a DB killer...)

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #35
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Depending on the shape of your aftermarket cans, a Db Dawg might work? We run them in 3 bikes, quiets them down alot at WOT. On a dual can CRF250 they only use one, might work here too? Google them.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #36
izzug
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 61

What company made this baffle? And do you know the OD at the end?

thanks rick
izzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #37
ecampo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bear

Sorry I just learned how to post pictures tonight but you should be able to get the picture. I got the bits from Harbor Freight and the Step Bit to Drill holes and a standard large Flathead to use as a chisel; I also had a small magnet light that I used until no more pieces come out and your done, takes around 20 minutes each--- Just for the sound I drilled three equal size holes--- if you look in the last two pictures to give it a bit more raspy sound. Ater I was done you could look and see daylight through these three hole.

The Big Bear

I did it . this weekend, THE GOODS.... , feelt smooth , better sound( I didnt make any holes) colder, THE BAD.... 20 minutes....yeah my ass... It took me more than 3 hours to complete the job... getting out all the crap of the catalyzer, but worth the work, the first start , it was like an old diesel car.. a lot of smog , but after 3 wheelies and 3 kms at 160km/h , the bike feel now realy good., I thinking Iīm going to open the 3 holes like big bear, but now I have to enjoy this beatiful days at 82š
ecampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #38
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Copper Reducer Insert mod w/Sound Meter

I finally got around to trying the copper reducer mod, and also measure the results with a sound meter set up per the official MIC Stationary Sound Test Manual 20" test, same kind Mr. Ranger gives you.

Results:

FMF Q4

With stock spark arrestor inserts:

1500 RPM Idle: 83dB
3800 RPM Test: 90dB

Inserts removed, full open

1500 RPM Idle: 84dB
3800 RPM Test: 93dB

Copper reducers installed:

1500 RPM Idle: 81 dB
3800 RPM Test: 89 dB

I safety wired my inserts in too.

I'll see how it sounds out on the highway tomorrow. Doesn't sound all that much quieter at idle, though 2dB reduction is quite a bit. Only 1 dB reduction at 3800-4000RPM, but each dB is a substantial change.

I also got an email from the DirtWerkz dB DAWG folks:

"You will need to measure the length from the end cap inward to verify if you have at least 2-1/2” straight shot from the end cap to support the insert portion of the dB Dawg. This has been the issue with the Q series FMF applications. So far we have not had any Q mufflers work with the dB Dawg since there is not enough length to support the insert as it curves near the end preventing the insert to fit all the way. Please measure to see if you have enough length. If they have changed the length to be long enough to support 2-1/2” straight in then the dB Dawg will fit.

Clif

DirtWerkz
1559 Buckskin Ave.
Simi Valley, CA 93065
888.507.3648 Phone
805.577.6701 Fax
clif@dirtwerkz.com"
Hey, another Clif with one 'f'

While I had the inserts out I measured and the Q4s for the KTM950/990 have exactly 2-1/2" straight shot before they turn down, so I suspect this model will work:

dB DAWG - 4 Stroke Silencer Insert External - Exhaust Outlets from 1.50" to 1.75"

I'm going to get a set and try them.

-=Clif
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #39
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
I finally got around to trying the copper reducer mod, and also measure the results with a sound meter set up per the official MIC Stationary Sound Test Manual 20" test, same kind Mr. Ranger gives you.

Results:

FMF Q4

Inserts removed, full open

3800 RPM Test: 93dB

SNIP>>>
dB DAWG - 4 Stroke Silencer Insert External - Exhaust Outlets from 1.50" to 1.75"

I'm going to get a set and try them.

-=Clif
Can you test these and tell us what you find out sound wise as well?
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #40
reconsmr
Banned

They turn a RMZ450 with an open Yosh system from a thunderous menace to a 3.5 hp mower, lap times with a pro rider were identical. Greatest difference at WOT, about 40% reduction in real world, rev limiter bouncing race pace riding.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #41
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
They turn a RMZ450 with an open Yosh system from a thunderous menace to a 3.5 hp mower, lap times with a pro rider were identical. Greatest difference at WOT, about 40% reduction in real world, rev limiter bouncing race pace riding.
Now that's good info! Quiet with performance, that's where things are going and I'm all for it. I'll get some on order and test them (with sound meter too).
Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #42
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg

Results:

FMF Q4

I safety wired my inserts in too.

I'll see how it sounds out on the highway tomorrow. Doesn't sound all that much quieter at idle, though 2dB reduction is quite a bit. Only 1 dB reduction at 3800-4000RPM, but each dB is a substantial change.
Thanks for the numbers.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #43
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

I have the dBDawgs on order, so a few more days I expect.

I tried the copper reducer inserts and have to say I like them. They do reduce noise level and as stated in another post here, add torque. Lifting the front is even easier down low and WOT noise is also less. Didn't seem to have much effect on perceived acceleration and I use all my RPM range. Also less backfiring on letoff. Interesting.

At least the inserts are a cheap mod. The dBDawgs set me back $90 shipped for the pair.

Also found out by reading the official Sound Test Manual the Test RPM for LC8's is 4750, so I'll redo my sounds tests when I get the dBDawgs in.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #44
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

dB-DAWG's tested

Received the dB-Dawg units in for my 990S. Very nicely made parts.

They installed just fine, plenty of depth for them.

Then I ran the MIC Sound Tests over again at 4750 RPM per manual -- on all the options, to have same relative conditions for all.

Also got the opinion of several people just listening to it, and took a few rides and a few WOT sessions to get the audio impressions.

The results (approx +/- .2dB on an analog meter):

FMF Q4's "KTM" branded.

Full Open, all inserts removed:
4750 RPM Test: 98dB

With stock OEM FMF spark arrestor inserts:
4750 RPM Test: 93dB

dbDAWG
1500 RPM Idle: 83 dB
4750 RPM Test: 93 dB

Copper reducers 1" to 3/4" ID installed:
4750 RPM Test: 92.5dB

Bottom line for me, the $84 (for the pair) dB-DAWG's don't reduce sound level any more than the stock FMF spark arrestor inserts. They may offer better flow/performance but without a dyno I would not be able to tell. Not much difference in 'tone/sound' either.
To be fair, the dB-DAWG's are usually used on racing cans that started out with no inserts, and in that case they really do drop the dB's significantly per my data above.

I had hoped for better results and wanted to return them, but the the DirtWerkz folks won't take them back even though I kept them in great shape. Guess I was the $90 Guinea pig on this one.

I'll try to sell them in the Flea Market.

cyborg screwed with this post 04-13-2008 at 08:05 PM
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #45
reconsmr
Banned

When we did ride by WOT tests we had up to about 125-127 Db on some open piped 450s, dropped it to 112 IIRC with the Db Dawgs. We did trackside, I do not have a measured distance to offer but it was less than 60 feet.This was where we saw the biggest difference, a bike that passed AMA testing at 94 Db, (mine) would roar at WOT to upwards of 120+. Nobody is complaining about bikes at half throttle, its the upper RPMs where the pipes come on tune and explode where the real offensive sound is. We get audible 450 exhaust at 2 miles clearly, a 40 man gate is clear as a bell at 5 miles from our track!!!

Can you run a drive by for comparisons sake? I never tested my 950 as the cans are stock w/o cats, nice & quiet. My 2-1 950 is a good bit quieter than my twin can SMR too.