User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #46
offroute OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Final Notes, GPX and Google Earth Links

The image above is a Google Earth screen shot showing our entire route. I am providing links here to the GE kml file along with zip files that contain the GPX data for the entire route - one track for each day. The first GPX file has the data in full resolution, the second GPX has each track simplified to 500 points.

Click here for Google Earth kml
(right click and save target as if link above opens up as xml text)

Click here for GPX in full resolution - zip format

Click here for GPX simplified to 500 points per track - zip format

One other note. I took a SPOT Satellite Tracker along on the trip. Friends and family back home were able to monitor our progress on a daily basis and raved about the peace of mind this gave them knowing where we were as the trip progressed.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.

offroute screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 08:37 PM
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #47
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Copper Canyon

Nice thread, great pictures!! I just returned fromm Copperbut not as much gravel as you did.. I have a 1150 GS Adventure and want to return next spring on a smaller bike like a 990 or 950 KTM.. I was trying to trace uour route, would like to do exact route.. Do you have any maps or GPS I can view??.

ApexJeff screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 09:50 AM Reason: Listed my email and phone number
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #48
offroute OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff
Nice thread, great pictures!! I just returned fromm Copperbut not as much gravel as you did.. I have a 1150 GS Adventure and want to return next spring on a smaller bike like a 990 or 950 KTM.. I was trying to trace uour route, would like to do exact route.. Do you have any maps or GPS I can view?? My email is jdbahiakino@yahoo.com or call me Jeff 720-641-7329.. I also use El jefe!!!
Hey ApexJeff,

PM me and I'll provide a phone number and email if you'd like to talk directly. But I think everything you need is a couple posts up. The two GPX files contain gps tracks of our entire trip. You should be able to open either in Mapsource or any GPX aware program, view them atop maps, and transfer pieces to most any GPS. We used Bicimapas Mexico maps for Garmin GPS devices. They worked pretty well overall - much better than Garmin's Mexico maps.

Our route in Mexico offered a great mix of dirt and paved. Some stuff was about as hard as you'd want to do on a loaded big bike like the GS.

- Offroute

Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #49
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroute View Post
You think of a lot of things when there's a tragedy in your life. We all deal with our grief, and sometimes with our guilt. We work through our thoughts of why, what was, or what could have been. And for me, these times usually include moments where small things carry greater meaning than what I would otherwise notice as life rushes on. This night had one of those moments. It lifted me a bit at the time and in the last weeks I've thought about it often.
We all gathered for dinner after unloading our bikes. It was late, and we found a small place next door. We would be their only customers. And as is typical of many places we've seen, this small restaurant is a family affair - staffed only by the father, wife and daughter. They seemed grateful that we had chosen their small place to spend our few pesos on food and beer. I held up my dirty hands asking where I could wash them and the father rushed me into a backroom. He took me over to a basin and held up one finger, telling me to wait. I watched him walk across the room to a barrel where he used a small pitcher to scoop up water. Coming back he nodded toward my hands and slowly poured the water as I scrubbed them clean.

On that day, and in the days since, that simple exchange has meant more to me than I can easily put into words.

I went to bed thinking of Whitney that night. We'd walked hundreds of miles together across the Sierra Nevada. How, just a year and a half earlier, we had made the 15 mile round trip to Lamarck Col together. 13,000 feet and her tail was wagging as she clawed her way up the final snow field.

I thought of how all she ever really needed was a warm place to sleep, fresh water, and food to eat. And how all she ever wanted was for me to hold her head between my knees, rub her ears, and show her I loved her as much as she loved me.

Tomorrow: Copper Canyon, the ride into Urique.
Doing some research on routing options in the Sierra Tarahumara, I found this report and in particular, this section.

Just prior to the above quote, offroute tells in the report of being deep into the Copper Canyon system when he has to be on the phone and give permission to put his dog down. He's 2,000 miles away.

Let's just say there's often lots of poignant writing out there in ride reports, but even now some years later, this particular post in this ride report sparked in me an emotional response. Finding this to me was like finding a diamond buried in the dirt. Maybe the glint was only because of the way I was glancing at the moment a fleeting ray of light hit it.

At the time of this post, the photo links in the ride report are broken. I find it interesting in that despite of this, the writing alone, without supporting pics, is fascinating. And this fact forces me to re-think the value of the word picture in ride reports. Also adding a nice touch for me was that just a couple of weeks ago, I too crossed at Agua Prieta, and also stayed in Banámichi. I often think how threads of life cross the same fabric but in different layers of time.

Ghosts.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #50
offroute OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks tricepilot. I get a lot from the ride reports here. Sometimes it's just a simple escape from the day to day - putting yourself in the pics and imaging being on some of these great adventures. And other times someone simply writes something that hits you a bit deeper. ADVRIDER is a great place to come and my compliments to those who are putting the effort in to bring us the quality that sets this forum apart from others.