User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Mr Natural OP
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
Hack foldout camper

With recent talk about tenting with a hack, I thought I would bring out this idea stage I have in my mind.

I've been thinking of replacing the tub with a box long enough for sleeping length.
The bottom would be flat back to the rear mounts. Back beyond the mounts the box would extend underneath by about 6" producing an area for water and gas cans.

This box would be tall enough to reach the height of the hack fender rack so a platform could extend over the tire. A hinged platform extension would increase the size of the platform by 2x, providing a place for a custom canvas tent(baker?) to be mounted.

I'm thinking the camper could still carry a passenger with the center boards of the platform removed and stored on the floor.

This is about as far I have gotten with the idea of a long term camper for two exploring the desert areas.

Anybody else have desires like this? Discuss?

This is the only other ref I could find on a camper

http://www.geocities.com/moturist/camper.html

another one

another concept
http://moto.kiev.ua/issue/travel/94132041207
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?

Mr Natural screwed with this post 03-25-2008 at 10:05 AM
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
hotair
What to ride?????

Oddometer: 574
The only problem, is that the bike is stuck there if you want to go ride. You have to break camp!!!! I am too lazy !!!! I want my cake and get to eat it too!!! Easier to pull a trailer/camper!!!
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
wyowillys46
Rustled softly.

Oddometer: 2,035
Bring plenty of horsepower and hope you don't hit any wind.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Mr Natural OP
Really tired

Not a problem for me and hopefully it will be self contained enough to make setup easy. Since this is more of a long term camping thought, the riding when ever is not so much a problem as my butt will be sore and I will enjoy walking taking pictures being off the bike. You are free to pull a camper in the desert however, so please let us know how that works out. I haven't seen any pictures or accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair
The only problem, is that the bike is stuck there if you want to go ride. You have to break camp!!!! I am too lazy !!!! I want my cake and get to eat it too!!! Easier to pull a trailer/camper!!!
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Mr Natural OP
Really tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
Bring plenty of horsepower and hope you don't hit any wind.
I'm sure those issues will be come to be factors. Hopefully the frontal area won't be much greater than it is already with the tub. It just won't be as aerodynamic. With added length I think the wind would be more problem. I can think of 2 options to lessen drag problems. Putting a cone to help move air around the front or using expanded metal panels to allow air to move through easier. I haven't even worked out what the weight might end up being.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,728
One of the ADVers down under (South Australia from memory) built this sidecar camper and it looks to be brilliantly done.

I don't know that many details but I'll look for his name and get some info.

TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 957
G'day

Thanks Touring Dave. I was trying to figure out how to put the link up to my sidecar but I have no idea how to do it. Struth I wish my 2 year old would turn 5 so she can show me how to use a computer.

Cheers

3legs.
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,120
Some great ideas here

USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,539
asymmetric threewheeled camping trailer?

Not quite in THAT league but I've been playing around with the idea of an asymmetric threewheeled camping trailer.

I have a lightweight 8x4 flatbed trailer that places five-eights of its weight forward of the axle. To prevent that weight fraction from being carried on the rear of the outfit, I've considered making an asymmetric drawbar connected to a "third wheel" that sits outboard of the tug's rear wheel. This extra wheel, being co-axial with the outfit's rear, needs no turning ability . . . just suspension equal to the task of carrying some of the weight of the trailer.

The asymmetric drawbar then pivots off this fixed wheel, like a fifth-wheeler type. By placing this draw position outboard of the tug's rear wheel, the mass of the trailer tends to partially counteract the mass of the sidecar during acceleration and de-celeration.

My thoughts are that packed items on the trailer, in this case, should be located roughly one-third inboard from the trailer main-wheel running behind that asymmetric drawbar wheel.

If you're wondering what this asymmetric trailer looks like . . . well, it resembles the wheel-layout of the outfit towing it. The "third wheel" sits where an outboard pannier would go, so that its no further outward.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
G'day

Thanks Touring Dave. I was trying to figure out how to put the link up to my sidecar but I have no idea how to do it. Struth I wish my 2 year old would turn 5 so she can show me how to use a computer.

Cheers

3legs.
G'day 3legs, hope you don't mind me posting your pics.

How's the outfit going?
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,787
Buy a tent???
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,539
On that tent theme --
(Step 1) Build a fold-out floor that's the right size assembled and has corner-supports.
(Step 2) Open out your 30sec Oztent on top and secure!

http://www.expresstoolsandcamping.com.au/oztent.htm

Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #13
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 957
G'day

Hi dave. No problems. Its all finished now and it's already packed and ready to go to the OCR. Just have put my clothes in, fill the esky and ride.

Cheers
3legs.
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #14
dogtired
SECRET ASIAN-MAN

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau
On that tent theme --
(Step 1) Build a fold-out floor that's the right size assembled and has corner-supports.
(Step 2) Open out your 30sec Oztent on top and secure!

http://www.expresstoolsandcamping.com.au/oztent.htm

The award winning Australian designed OZTENT was released in 1993 and is now considered by many as the best touring tent on the market today. It is easily erected by one person in less than 30 seconds.

The design - The OZTENT has a patented internal hinged aluminium frame which is at the heart of its revolutionary design. This allows for effortless erection and packing away. The frame is connected to the canvas and does not require assembly or disassembly. You just unfold it for erection and fold it for packing away. It's that simple.

The OZTENT is just perfect with 4WD's but it works equally well with camper trailers. It provides you with instant extra room with a minimum of fuss and the large attached awning gives you a great shaded area to cook or sit and enjoy the great outdoors. Now with the optional Awning Side Panels and the new optional Screen Room, the OZTENT is the complete tent for all your camping needs.

Easy Family Camping - The OZTENT also provides easy family camping. Due to its modular design you can add two or more tents together side by side or awning to awning. This is significantly easier to set up than a big two room family tent and means parents can have their own room separate from the children.

"This allows for effortless erection and packing away."

dogtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Egads1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thumb Foldout Camper

The sidecar camper on the Yamaha Seca 750 is mine. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Two minutes up, two minutes down. I can stand up in it for dressing and undressing. I'm off the ground so rain is no problem. The 750 pulls it at 55-60 mph. However I am putting it on a 1200 Triumph Trophy which I hope will pull it better. The 750 gets about 30 mpg at 55-60 mph. I hope to never go back to tent camping except in emergencies.
Egads1 is offline   Reply With Quote