User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
NorthernBoxer OP
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 544
shipping a motorcycle on Alaska Air

Has anyone here shipped an un-crated motorcycle on Alaska Air Cargo to Seattle (or anywhere else for that mater)?

How did it work? Was it as simple as riding up to the Cargo office and handing them the keys and then picking the bike up at the Seattle Cargo office and riding off?

Other than that, does anyone have suggestions on best/cheapest way to ship a motorcycle to Seattle or Portland and then back up to Anchorage a month later?

Thanks for your help and advice.
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Rumor is that Alaska Airlines used to have a cheap roll on roll off rate to Seattle for bikes. From what I've heard it's not the case anymore.

My company ships an easy 100 trailerloads of mat'l up here a season and over the last couple three decades I've had the chance to deal w/ most of the freight forwarders. PAF is normally not low but they normally don't damage your stuff either. That said, I'd probably call 'em all and plan on getting a crate to put it in.

Three major water carriers are:

American Fast Freight (AFF)

Pacific Alaska Freightways (PAF)

Span Alaska Consolidators (Span)

Another option is Danzas. Pete Deren at Danzas has a lot of experience in both air and surface freight and would definitely be worth a call. I haven't tt him in a while myself but I think GCraft might have his contact number.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Phish
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBoxer
Has anyone here shipped an un-crated motorcycle on Alaska Air Cargo to Seattle (or anywhere else for that mater)?

How did it work? Was it as simple as riding up to the Cargo office and handing them the keys and then picking the bike up at the Seattle Cargo office and riding off?

Other than that, does anyone have suggestions on best/cheapest way to ship a motorcycle to Seattle or Portland and then back up to Anchorage a month later?

Thanks for your help and advice.
They only have freighter service south as far as seattle, they ship a lot of bikes. You just have to make sure the tank is empty. I think it is about $.60 per lb to Seattle. Yep, just pick it up in Seattle and ride it out of the warehouse.

pm sent
Phish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Phish
Fishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Rumor is that Alaska Airlines used to have a cheap roll on roll off rate to Seattle for bikes. From what I've heard it's not the case anymore.

My company ships an easy 100 trailerloads of mat'l up here a season and over the last couple three decades I've had the chance to deal w/ most of the freight forwarders. PAF is normally not low but they normally don't damage your stuff either. That said, I'd probably call 'em all and plan on getting a crate to put it in.

Three major water carriers are:

American Fast Freight (AFF)

Pacific Alaska Freightways (PAF)

Span Alaska Consolidators (Span)

Another option is Danzas. Pete Deren at Danzas has a lot of experience in both air and surface freight and would definitely be worth a call. I haven't tt him in a while myself but I think GCraft might have his contact number.
Alaska Air still ships bikes, they prefer if they are crated or on a skid but will ship if not.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
legion
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKhf
Alaska Air still ships bikes, they prefer if they are crated or on a skid but will ship if not.
Interesting. I've worked mostly w/ the water carriers and thought that a previous poster asking this question had been shot down when he tried it. Might be that he tried to interlink w/ another flight or carrier.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Phish
Fishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Interesting. I've worked mostly w/ the water carriers and thought that a previous poster asking this question had been shot down when he tried it. Might be that he tried to interlink w/ another flight or carrier.
The problem with shipping on Alaska is that the container service is only within the state and to Seattle southbound. so it works good for a one way to Prudhoe Bay or Seattle but not beyond.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer: 66
It can happen !!

I just researched this in the opposite direction, SF Bay area to Anchorage.
Alaska Air still does this, but you need to become an " approved " shipper to ship on any airline. You request and fill out a form, and attach a phone or electric bill, and mail them both back. They send someone to visit you home address ($55 fee) and then your approved to ship after another couple weeks. It's about a two month process.
In fact the site visit just happened tonight at my place so I should be approved pretty soon !
HYLYNDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
legion
Lard Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYLYNDYR
I just researched this in the opposite direction, SF Bay area to Anchorage.
Alaska Air still does this, but you need to become an " approved " shipper to ship on any airline. You request and fill out a form, and attach a phone or electric bill, and mail them both back. They send someone to visit you home address ($55 fee) and then your approved to ship after another couple weeks. It's about a two month process.
In fact the site visit just happened tonight at my place so I should be approved pretty soon !
That's pretty common w/ all carriers since 9/11. Would be very interested in hearing how that goes for you shipping to AK via Alaska Airlines in a roll on / roll off. Crated would be another matter. Good luck and please post back how it goes.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer: 66
I'll keep updating as I get more info and the plan is nailed down with details.
My rough plan is fly to Ak in July, tour solo for three weeks and end up at the FJR National meet in Colorado....on my Wee....that'll piss a few guys I know off !
HYLYNDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
helikron
The Fixer

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Thanks for your help and advice. [/COLOR]
Anything you need on this end, let me know a few days early, NB. I'll race your cousin to the dock! [I can garage your ride, and pick you up at the airport if the timing is right, too.]

Seriously, I'll help any way I'm able. Your last ride report was awesome, and I can only imagine what your plans are for this ride!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
NorthernBoxer OP
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikron
Anything you need on this end, let me know a few days early, NB. I'll race your cousin to the dock! [I can garage your ride, and pick you up at the airport if the timing is right, too.]

Seriously, I'll help any way I'm able. Your last ride report was awesome, and I can only imagine what your plans are for this ride!
wow, thanks Burke! that's really nice of you, I might have to take you up on that, depending on what I can work out with shipping on AK air.

seems like there's some conflicting info here about that, so I guess I'll have to run the test and let you all know what happens...

Plans are tentative right now but I have a month off from the 20th of April to the 20th of May and I will say one word...

Moab!
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Kul Mom
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikron
Hi, Heli!

Whaz up? The /6 is currently at Mick's for some TLC. Mom and I dropped it off during Spring Break. Haven't heard from him yet. The plan is to add a sidecar at some point. I'll be down to pick it up on the 10th of May. Maybe we can grab some lunch? It doesn't look like Scott and I will be able to ride together on his adventure this year. He will be ending his trip as I start mine. We will coincide in Seattle for Jody's graduation from law school on the 17th of May. But he will be on his way home and I don't leave for AK until the 23rd.

-KM

Kul Mom screwed with this post 03-25-2008 at 10:38 PM
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
The Butcher
spaghetti bender

Oddometer: 90
Shipped my Tiger from ANC to Seattle via Alaska Air cargo last fall. Just rode it right up the ramp into the hangar, filled out the paperwork (about $340 if I remember right), and left it there. They strap it in an igloo container and ship it. When I got to Seattle I just went to thier cargo terminal and picked it up and rode away. The only problem i had was that the windscreen trim got tore off somewhere along the way (didn't notice it until I was almost to Oregon. They tied it around the handlebar clamp). So my advice, if you go that route, is to thoroughly check out the bike before you ship it and even more thoroughly before you take final delivery. Also, if you are not a "prefered shipper"( or something to that effect ), it ships on a room available basis. Usually not a problem though, but give yourself a little leeway. Oh yeah, and make sure the tank is almost empty.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
helikron
The Fixer

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
I will say one word...

Moab!
Your pics always rock, and the Moab ride report will be much-anticipated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul Mom
*gargble garble*Jody*more garble garble
Them brainz seem ta run powerful in yer fambly, huh.

See you here for some dang fine Argentinian grub?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Alternative to Air Freight

May or may not work for you, but Alaska Marine Lines will ship your bike to SE Alaska from Seattle; so you could ship to Haines and ride a beautiful hwy to Anc or Fbks.
Of course, you have to fly to Juneau, then to Haines, but it's doable and the road out of Haines is spectacular if you don't have a DUI preventing you from crossing the border.

AML will put your bike on a steel pallet, you need to supply 4 rachet straps. They are great to work with.

Dave

Juneau AK
Advdave is offline   Reply With Quote