User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,949
how does a 2 pin flasher relay work?

I can't find a spec sheet for a generic one.

Do they go in series or parallel with the load?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Connect in series with the common power or common ground of the turn signal circuit. Pass either the common filament ground, or the common filament power through it. A bimetallic metal strip heats up when current flows and 'springs' the contact open, when it cools the contact closes again.

It flashes (cycles) quicker, or not at all, when a bulb is burned out because the lower current heats the bimetallic metal strip less. And it either cools quicker and cycles faster, or doesn't heat up enough to open the circuit and the lights stay on constant until the turn signal switch is returned to center.

The signal bulbs, left pair and right pair, are connected in parallel.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 03-26-2008 at 07:55 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
heykenny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
the 2 pin variety would be in series.. on the power side ,with the L-R switch controlling the ground switching
heykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

thanks fellas
Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,167
There is also a solid state model that will flash the same no matter what the load.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

i'm just making a 2 lamp alternate flasher for dad - the train buff has bought himself a level crossing sign (lamps and bell) and wants it wired up. I thought the cheapest way was a car flasher can and a relay. Thanks for the help - but cheap and easy is the go here - not sure the solid state ones are worth the cost.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,167
For a low load you can use the bimetal cheapie and figure our what resistor will give you the proper load to make it flash.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,266
I'd just wire in an 1157 bulb, and tape it up and hide it somewhere so you couldn't see it. You have 2 filaments of different resistance so you could find a combination that gives you the blink rate you need.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #9
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I'd just wire in an 1157 bulb, and tape it up and hide it somewhere so you couldn't see it. You have 2 filaments of different resistance so you could find a combination that gives you the blink rate you need.
I'd much sooner go with a resistor. A bulb is relatively fragile, but a resistor will give you tons of life. If you want to get fancy, install a variable resistor in-line and you will be able to control the flash rate.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,266
Personally, if this were for me I'd go with a 555 timer.

But it is not for you or I, it is for someone else building something for his dad who wants cheap and simple. If he uses a resistor instead of a bulb, now he has to find yet another store in addition to an auto parts place where he could buy both items at once. Additionally, if he wants or needs the crossing flashers to alternate the simplest way is with a bosch style relay, also available at the same place.

I would not have any longevity concerns either, considering this will a bulb in a non-vibratory environment seeing intermittent use.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Well...

A bulb has a lot of drawbacks. It is fragile by nature. It sits in a socket that is prone to corrosion. The filaments are always at the mercy of production tolerances, shipping, and handling. Vibration is always an issue. They also have heat issues if they're mounted inside or near anything that's prone to melt.

A resistor can be had ANYWHERE. Go to the local radio shack and take your pick; plus, putting a variable resistor/or rheostat in circuit will give you the ability to customize flash rate so it will be appropriate to the use.

A clocking circuit will be more expensive, but will be more compact and use less energy since you're not compensating for the resistive filament with a resistor; you're just using pulses. Reliability will suffer over a resistor unless you get one that is made to work in a high exposure/high vibration environment (which should be pretty easy to find).

Being simple to build is one thing; being simple to maintain and keep operational is something else entirely. A bit of time invested now will have a huge impact later.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
Being simple to build is one thing; being simple to maintain and keep operational is something else entirely. A bit of time invested now will have a huge impact later.
Thanks for your concern, however KLR owners should be well aware of the "just replace the component" principle

A 2pin car flasher can has been powering a pair of 25W lamps for nearly 2 months now. If it breaks, he can just plug in a new flasher can or relay.