Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien

In RWB please.

I'm torn between doing a total rebuild on mine (RWB of course...) or saving for a pristine one in any color scheme.

As for the OP--I think you'd like the 700SC. And you'd always find a buyer for it if you didn't.

Mine was my do-it-all bike for a few years--tour, goofin' around on the back roads, etc. After "upgrading" to newer bikes, it strikes me that the 700SC really holds up well over the years as a fun, competent bike. It's just one of the bikes that's really made me happy.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,904
Just came across this in case someone is interested:

http://madison.craigslist.org/mcy/623125766.html

Don't know anything about the bike or seller, just FYI.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Starwarrior
Wannabe

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien

In RWB please.
Right on, here you go:

Only cost you 787,500 yen. Plus a round trip ticket to Japan. I hope to get one when I get stationed in Oki. If I get stationed there.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #19
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarrior
Right on, here you go:

Only cost you 787,500 yen. Plus a round trip ticket to Japan. I hope to get one when I get stationed in Oki. If I get stationed there.
It looks great, but not quite the same look as the old S. The S was a built up hotrod look, where this is that early 80's superbike look. It has a rounder tank and smoother over all lines, and I miss the quarter fairing. Still, a good look that will never sell in the Cruiser/Sportbike extremes addled U.S. market. Maybe if they did what Yamaha did with the FJR and required deposits with absolute sales...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
It looks great, but not quite the same look as the old S. The S was a built up hotrod look, where this is that early 80's superbike look. It has a rounder tank and smoother over all lines, and I miss the quarter fairing. Still, a good look that will never sell in the Cruiser/Sportbike extremes addled U.S. market. Maybe if they did what Yamaha did with the FJR and required deposits with absolute sales...
I know everyone SAYS this....but I'd put a deposit on one today. That bike will always be cool.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
coffee_brake5
ain'tcha gonna...

Oddometer: 93
I owned a 1984 700S and a 1992 NH750 at the same time. Often rode both of them the same day. I sold the 700S and still have the '92 750.

The 700S is quite fast, so fast that I became a squid almost every time I got on it. It is very narrow and lends itself to very bad traffic behavior. It is competitive with a lot of the 600cc sportbikes still on the road today. I thought, when I bought it, that it would be a step up from my 750, with the shaft drive, dual disk brakes, and 6-speed tranny. It was a nicer machine in those respects, but *for me* the handling was not as good as my 750. It seemed to fall in to turns and I thought is was alarming in tight spots. I had only been riding for a few years, maybe it was me. It is the only bike I ever sold, that I miss.

I can turn my '92 almost tighter than a bicycle. I'm not about speed, if I wanted quick I would have sold them both for a used GSXR 750. The '92 is plenty fast enough in traffic, which is what it does best. Its handling is amazingly good for me, what with some new Progressive shocks and upgraded brake lines and floating rotors. I can't explain it; I love the looks of the later 750's and always have, although the 700S is singular and also very handsome. Some bikes you like; some you hate; and some have part of your heart stamped into them. I liked the 700S very much but I LOVE my Nighthawk. I took some of the money from the 700S and bought a running parts bike to keep my 750 on the road for a couple more decades when the time comes.

I will tell you this: whichever bike you choose (you sound like a dude and off the bat I'd think you'd be happier with the 700S), plan to save a couple hundred bucks and get a Corbin seat for it. Makes all the difference in the world.
coffee_brake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
I've had a whole bunch of bikes, and my 84 700s is still high on my list of favorites.

Of course, it's self defeating for me to be talking them up on the web ; it's positive buzz like this that keeps the prices on them relatively high... I think I paid about $1200 for mine, in about 1992, and would gladly pay $1200 for one again today.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #23
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Steven1955,

Well we are two pages into your question about which is a better bike. I have read all the posts so far and there doesnt seem to be a clear winner.

So, the answer to your question seems to be:
"Just pick the one you personaly like best and you cant go wrong"

Good luck with the one you choose, you will enjoy it a lot!
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
Steven1955,

Well we are two pages into your question about which is a better bike. I have read all the posts so far and there doesnt seem to be a clear winner.

So, the answer to your question seems to be:
"Just pick the one you personaly like best and you cant go wrong"

Good luck with the one you choose, you will enjoy it a lot!
That's pretty much true. Given a good deal on the 700 versus a good deal on a 750, I'd still do the 700. It just looks hotter to me. But I'd not pass up a killer deal on the 750, I'd buy it...

Then sell it and buy a better 700! Man I like the 700.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #25
steven1955 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Argh! I don't know if I want a Nighthawk or not, but I was going to check out an 85 today. I got off the phone with the seller last night at 9 to make sure we could meet at 3:30 today, the time he gets home from work. Called to confirm at noon only to find out someone called him after 9 last night, went over last night, and bought the bike.

I haven't had a chance to ride one yet, but based on specs I like the "S" better than a non "S" Nighthawk. This would have been my chance to decide if I like the Nighthawk enough to own one.

Oh well. There's a 91 also for sale within a reasonable distance, but I think the price is high. Maybe I'm out of line, especially as I haven't seen the 91 in question, but I think the asking price of $2700 is high form a 17 year old bike.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #26
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I'm going to pick up a Blue/Black 84 Nighthawk S this summer. A friend has it and he is ready to part with it so I told him I would give it a good home.
1 owner, less than 10K miles, 100% stock, (even the pipes and stock & perfect) always garaged. The only flaw is a small dent in the tank. Next year I'll be able to get historic 25 year tags for it. Should be a pretty cool bike night ride or sunday afternoon ice cream cone chaser.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
Goebz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
NightHawk S

The CB700S was completely different than the other nighthawks. Overseas they were 750s but in the US we got 700 cc TARIFF BEATERS, They were new design, de stroked 750's and the shorter stroke breathing through the 750 bore and carbs was a winner. At 67 horse power they were better than the GPS, Secas and on par with the VFR 750 "crotch rocket".

The smaller wheels and upright seating made it more like todays super mot bikes but with an ultra realible inline 4 and shaft drive. Like shaft or not it was maintenance free. My uncle sold hondas and I rode the tires off his demo. he was surprised that I discovered the only real handling issue it had, wheel hop in really hard braking. If you used too much rear brake you could start to lock it up and it would hop. Upgrading the shocks or even adjusting the dampening for a heavier rider usually fixed it.

My college roommate bought one in 88 and rode the tires off it. He didnt even know what the S was and I told him all about my uncle's. We both wish he had never sold that bike.

The black/blue combo was always my favorite. I loved pulling up to a 750 Virago in my leather and blacked out Simpson helmet (Darth Vader) and leaving them at a stoplight.

They are cheap fun, easy to maintain and easy to ride. I wish I could find a nice one in OHIO.
Goebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #28
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,228
OK, another former 700S owner signing in, blue and black.

Loved it! As previously stated, between the shaft drive, hydraulic valves, and the relatively new at the time hydraulic clutch, all you had to do was change the oil, which was in the frame, 2 screws at the bottom.

One thing nobody has mentioned was the way the bike had a way of coming on the cam at a certain RPM. You'd crack the throttle all the way, and it would go fast, then at that RPM, go faster. Nice step effect, made you feel fast even if it wasn't the fastest around.

The turn in with the small front wheel was very noticeable at parking lot speeds, when I first got it I almost dumped it a few times at walking pace.

Overall, between the great mechanics and looks that have stood the test of time, I'd recommend it.

I never really was crazy about the Nighthawk 750's generic looks myself. The 700S's looks were unique.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #29
page62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Everyone is ignoring one important item. The Nighthawk S is about 25 years old. On the other had, it's possible to pick up a 7-year-old NH 750. Even if you can find an S in perfect condition, it will still require more care and feeding than a newer bike. I have a similar situation where I have an '83 Honda VT500 Ascot in excellent condition and a 2000 NH 750 that's also outstanding. Guess which bike needs more maintenance? Funny little things go wrong with the Ascot while the NH750 needs nothing...

So, by all means go for the S. But I hope you're handy with wrenches. Otherwise, your local independent bike shop is going to LOVE you!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #30
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I had a 1983 VT500c Shadow along with my 1983 Nighthawk 650.
The VT500 required a lot more TLC than the Nighthawk, so I do not think your VT500 is a good compartison to your newer Nighthawk either.

The 550, 650 and 700 and Canadian 750 Nighthawks from the 1980s are still reliable bikes if they have been maintained and garaged.

I expect that ALL Nighthawks are better than average.

As to the comparison between a CB700sc and a VF700s, I would take the Nighthawk. The Sabre does not handle as well and weighs a lot more than a Nighthawk.

Ride safely,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote