spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #47
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
Pity they aren't legal in California.
Thats why its good to have friends in Arizona.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #48
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,457
No kidding. Still have that whole out of state license problem, but some manage.

I'm guessing that like the dirtbikes, anything before 2003 is grandfathered in?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #49
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
What Dieselboy said!!

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #50
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Ok, some say the R.E. will carry an entire family across India. Others say you have to adjust the valves every 2 miles. Well, maybe they said 1000 miles. If I have to adjust valves every 10,000 the bike ain't for me.

I would seriously consider one of these things if I could figure out who to listen to about them. What is the real Royal Enfield deal?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #51
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
Ok, some say the R.E. will carry an entire family across India. Others say you have to adjust the valves every 2 miles. Well, maybe they said 1000 miles. If I have to adjust valves every 10,000 the bike ain't for me.

I would seriously consider one of these things if I could figure out who to listen to about them. What is the real Royal Enfield deal?

There is a saying here that an RE makes a mechanic out of you. They used to break down and oil leakages and all sorts of engine problems. But the new royal enfields are good bikes. They have been performing outstandingly compared than the older, heavy crank models. Older RE bullets were like a lottery.

The earlier models were using decades old technology but the newer ones have better norms and good engineering. So if you are looking to get one, a new RE is not a bad choice. Remember, theres another saying that goes around here, A bullet can climb a wall.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #52
buggiebuggie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I've seriously considered building a scrambler/trails one off Royal Enfield. I did a lot of research and found these guys to be the gurus...

www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com

They'll ship anywhere and are glad to chat with you about your decisions concerning the RE... They also have a really cool Indian Woodsman replica exhaust that I wanted to use on my project..

My biggest holdup was my height (6'3") and the fact that by the time I bought one and rebuilt the thing, I could go out and buy a modern dual sport. I still have a hankering to build one though... Kind of a mini-McQueen scrambler ISDT special.

For now, my build sheet and plans are in the journal of projects I've thought up and never started.

B2
buggiebuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #53
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Go for it! Can't wait to see it.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #54
Staplegunnr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I am still on the fence.

My Enfiled is my daily driver, can't beat 80 mpg around town and the primal joy of dragging pegs as you corner.

For about the same cost as the parts needed to modify my Enfield, I can get a used KLR 650. The KLR would have much more capability over the modified Enfield.

Still thinking.

'07 Triumph Bonneville T-100
'06 Royal Enfield Bullet Electra - My Adventure Bike?
Staplegunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #55
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staplegunnr
I am still on the fence.

For about the same cost as the parts needed to modify my Enfield, I can get a used KLR 650. The KLR would have much more capability over the modified Enfield.
But where's the STYLE in that? You chose to ride an Enfield my friend, how could you possibly be satisfied with a KLR? You owe it to yourself ( and all of us ) to take this to the next level.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #56
Staplegunnr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Damn talk about peer pressure...

The biggest problem that I have is tires. The stock Enfield (my bike) has 19" front and rear rims. So without getting new rims my tire choice is very limited.

Once I make up my mind, I will posts pics as I work on the bike. (Tires at the very least...)

'07 Triumph Bonneville T-100
'06 Royal Enfield Bullet Electra - My Adventure Bike?
Staplegunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #57
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
RE:Enfield

Well,if any of you ever get serious about that Scrambler build,there's no need to deal with Hitchcocks or Haywoods in the UK;get the pieces direct,from either your nearest RE dealer or the RE importer Classic Motorworks in MN. That's where my Scrambler bits are coming from....

Sam in IN

KX500
Ural G/U
XR400
GAZ69
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #58
buckshot fredo
salty adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Cool2

I don't think you've lost you'r mind at all . it's just gona be an adventure with in the aventure , or twice the adventure .
I ' would entertain the idea of a sid hack on that may be to.... log xtra tools an parts .
very cool & atractive rig though

DRZ S
buckshot fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #59
prithvit
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wink The Enfield - the good and the bad!

Someone once said that owning a Bullet Enfield is like being in love with a very cruel mistress. It's like when your in crazy land - everyone else just doesn't make sense. I had a Bullet Enfield in Boston, MA for about a year and a half.
Yes - it did make a mechanic out of me, and yes I now know more about motorcycles than I ever would had a taken some course on motorcycle mechanics. Yes - It was fun to watch some old schooler go completely ape shit when he passed me on a small back country road, slow down and ask - hey how old is that thing??!!! Also, there is something about that single cylinder thump at 35 - 45 miles/hour. On the flip side, every day was an adventure, no not about going somewhere but the main adventure was - "is she going to start up?" "Am I going to get back ?". The simple truth - I have had my Tiger 1050 for close to 6 months now and I have close to 5000 miles on it. That's more than I put on my Enfield. If I had a nice garage and workshop I would love to bring back an RE, but if I only got room for one bike, it has to be something else.
In India (where I am from) - the Bullet has a Harlyesque stature - It is the beast of the Indian roads, and for the longest time it was one of the only options available to Indian motorcyclists. Even with the advent of more reliable Japanese bikes, a rudimentary supply chain infratructure often meant that parts were hard to come by or expensive outside major metropolitan centers, so people opted for the bullet instead. And yes another thing they say about the bullet, always sick but never terminal...when your poor, why opt for a piece of new technology when you have something that you know how to keep running.
Anyway - having the bullet was both a joy and pain - it was a manic episode at the very best. Like a bad relationship that you look back and say...."jeez what was i thinking!!!" Anyway..like all bad relationships there are some part that are awesome , call me crazy but I miss the enfield....don't worry the Tiger can't hear me. Enjoy the madness!
prithvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #60
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
So far, my 2007 500 Classic has been a good ride.After setting the air screw properly starting has been no problem.It can sit for a week or two and start with one kick (I prefer the kick start).I did fowl one spark plug, but it may have been due to the air screw eing set at maximum richness when I bought the bike.Mines still being broken in at about 400 miles.Its getting 75-85 miles per gallon and is a fun ride and great looking. It also is not my only motorcycle.I am babying it as I've heard about lots of problems with some, but it seem that often riders are just not content with riding these as they are meant to be ridden-like on backroads at 35-to maybe 50 mph.Mine will never touch a US freeway, but will be used on secondary roads only.Many start throwing less restrictive exhaust, then a free flowing air filter,different carb,big bore kits, etc.,etc.Pretty soon the lower end grenades on them.I figure if I want to ride the freeway at 75, my KLR650 will easily do it.I probably wouldn't buy an Enfield as my only ride. However, I know of Bullet riders (one even lives very near me) with well over 20,000 miles with no major problems at all.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote