Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #61
digger2
A Cad & A Bounder

Oddometer: 623
64 kph club

Do a search on the above, its a bike club in India, mostly Re's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
Ok, some say the R.E. will carry an entire family across India. Others say you have to adjust the valves every 2 miles. Well, maybe they said 1000 miles. If I have to adjust valves every 10,000 the bike ain't for me.

I would seriously consider one of these things if I could figure out who to listen to about them. What is the real Royal Enfield deal?
digger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #62
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
Talking Get a side car

You will have to have a side car so you can carry a whole bikes worth of spare parts. also you will need to carry a drill press and a lathe, as well as every other sort of tool. Also a red phone that has a direct line to a parts house mounted on the bike. But it might be fun if you have time to fix it all the time. That link posted early on in this thread to a couple who did Africa and South America on a re shows a picture of a broken crankshaft! A goddamn broken crankshaft! -Matt
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #63
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
easy way (and smarter)would be to sell and buy a klr.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #64
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I've been to India over 20 times in the past 30 years and it was my interest in the Enfield that got me started back up in motorcycling. Have never owned one but have ridden a friend's older one in India. As Chanderjeet stated, the newer unit construction Enfields are a different animal, more reliable and easier to maintain. I think the biggest adjustment that US riders have to make with this bike is that we expect even our scooters to get out there and mix it up with freeway traffic. I don't know if you've ever tried to get around California at 55mph max? It's not fun. For me, I won't buy a bike that can't cruise at 70mph all day. It's just one of the requirements for an all-round bike. I can't/won't afford a motorbike that I just take out on Sundays and putt around in the backcountry. I like to do that, I just want to be able to hop on the bike and ride to Utah in one day, also.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #65
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
This thread has been around for a while. I still have my 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet. It's just coming up on 3000 miles now.I have had zero problems with it. I take it out all the time. Where I live it's easy to plan routes that stay the hell off the freeways. Riding is a lot more fun on the backroads. If I need to hit the freeway, I'll take my 2006 XL883.

Some months ago the Indian gent that filmed One Crazy Ride had a showing of his movie in the Fremont Area of Seattle. I decided to ride my Bullet up to Seattle to see the movie, hoping that he might get a kick out of seeing my Enfield as that's what they rode in the movie. Also, I knew of a couple of other Enfield riders that were going to be there. Anyway, I met up with Eamon outside of the venue.He rode his Enfield also. We were there talking when Gaurav Jani, the gent that made this film and a few others, walked up. Eamon already had met him and introduced us. He was admiring my Enfield.

Anyway, had a great time at the movie.Here's some info:
http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ocr.html

After the show I made the return trip from Seattle to Puyallup.It was about an 85 mile ride all on roads with lower speed limits.

Where I live in Puyallup there are lots of rides with perfect roads for this type of motorcycle. Winding backroads through the country doing 45-50 mph.

For the US I wouldn't suggest an Enfield as ones "only" motorcycle. But as a second or third bike ridden as it was intended to be ridden, I see know reason one can't enjoy one of these motorcycles for many years.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #66
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,561
I'm on the fence about this one. The newer unit engine bikes are a different design than the old original, but did they change the crank bearing design? In any case, the bearings are local because almost all the parts are made in India (they have protectionist rules). Below is a bearing change being done in a parking lot in Northern India. I was on a tour... Nepal,India, Bhutan on the Enfield & it puked the bottom end. The mechanic that was traveling with, had the parts along.... why?.... not the first one they had to do on the road. Bike had something like 12-14,000 miles

The good news was they had it apart & back together in less than 3 hours. But it was pulled prior to a total failure (based on sounds it was making). BTW, I've owned & loved many Brit bikes and my first was an Enfield in 1968. I had Brit bikes in the fleet up until about 3 years ago, but have since moved on. Before I put a bunch of bucks into outfitting the thing as a ADV bike I would like see some evidence of long reliable service. Or stick to short trips. If I was headed for a long journey, I would rather stick with something known & just ride.... had enough of fixin things to last a lifetime.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #67
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Laugh klr

"easy way (and smarter)would be to sell and buy a klr."

+1

I agree. Unless of course you enoy parking lot bottom-end rebuilds! R.E.s are cool and I would have one if I had the time and money, but the hard truth is that they are the junkiest, most unreliable piece of shit bikes in production, and have been for the last 25 years at least! Just my opinion. Not to offend any R.E. nuts, They are still cool bikes. -Matt
Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #68
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Eh? $1000 Klr

I bet an old beat down and abused $1000 klr would out perform one of those R.E.s any day of the week with 5th gear tied behind it's back!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #69
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Guarav Jani gets my vote for the Adventure Rider of the Decade for his wonderful films of traveling remote India completely unsupported. I still watch "Riding Solo to the Top of World" over and over and look forward to "One Crazy Ride". The trailer scares the shit out of me. When his front wheel goes through the hole in bridge, yikes!

earthroamer screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 04:57 PM
Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #70
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oh yeah, I forgot. Guarav Jani did not ask anybody if his 350 Bullet was going to make a good adventure bike. He just did it. And filmed it to share with us. That's what its about.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #71
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Oh yeah, I forgot. Guarav Jani did not ask anybody if his 350 Bullet was going to make a good adventure bike. He just did it. And filmed it to share with us. That's what its about.
Yeah, it was a real pleasure meeting him

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #72
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Guarav Jani gets my vote for the Adventure Rider of the Decade for his wonderful films of traveling remote India completely unsupported. I still watch "Riding Solo to the Top of World" over and over and look forward to "One Crazy Ride". The trailer scares the shit out of me. When his front wheel goes through the hole in bridge, yikes!
I just ordered the DVD thanks to who ever mentioned it.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #73
shrubber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
My pop has a newer Royal. It's a cute looking bike. But seriously, if you think you might like one, do yourself a favor and test-ride one first. That'll cure you. It's heavy, slow, and stupidly unreliable (no offense). Even Dad calls it the "clown bike".

Oh, and spend some time on the RE site. They say if you don't have a very good sense of humor, this isn't the bike for you. Pop's bike is down more than up. Right now we're considering completely redoing the harness bit by bit.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #74
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,134
Thumb Royal Enfield 350....

is one Tough Ass Bike! I bounced one off a car, over sidewalks, up and OVER some of the highest passes in the world.

Check my RR below .

p.s. Met Guarev at a screening, one cool dude.
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #75
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
Yeah, it was a real pleasure meeting him

jon
I wish that I could have been there, jon.