User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #31
Dr.Vago
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great PI pics and stories!

I go to the Visayas just about every year for scuba diving and visiting family/friends and have on occasion rented an enduro bike for a day or two. I was not aware of any places that rented dual-sport touring bikes. Does anybody know of any reputable places in or around Cebu City? Going on a good adventure ride in PI looks like it would be the ultimate! Crazy terrain and rivers, beautiful beaches and incredibly friendly people! This thread has inspired me to start planning next years trip. After typhoon season that is. In the meantime keep the pics coming!!
Dr.Vago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #32
PIklr
Adventure Guide

Oddometer: 81
River Crossing

Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #33
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Oddometer: 168
Catanduanes Island

May, 2008

Ever since I started riding, I have dreamed of exploring the island province of Catanduanes, where my father hails from. I remember stories of old that tell of motorcycle adventures gone bad, with blown tires, harassment by both the military and insurgents and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. My older brother and our family friend (God bless his soul) did try riding in the early 80s but had to turn back because of motorcycle breakdowns and bad weather.

So last Tuesday while my family was enjoying the beach in our family home in Palawig, San Andres, I sneak off on a borrowed Honda XR200, armed with a backpack of water, some biscuits, a pocket knife, GPS, camera and a whole lot of prayers. ATGATT I was not, just a helmet, gloves, jeans and a shirt. Our caretaker shakes his head as I politely decline again his offer to provide a backup vehicle and a guide. The day was gloomy and rain clouds were visible from the distance. That provided for a very cool ride. With no rain gear in my pack, my plan was to take shelter in the nearest hut or tree when the rain pours.

The dirt roads started as flat and compact but gradually deteriorated as I headed North passing through the town of San Andres . Since it rained a night before, there were some muddy parts and a few shallow river crossings. There were also less people along the road and it got creepier every kilometer. I reach the municipality of Caramoran and the junction in Sabloyon where the junction is located that branches out north to Pandan and west to Panganiban. Before leaving, I was advised not to take the Caramoran - Panganiban route as it is a mountain range and is believed to be occupied by insurgents. This was apparently true as the said junction was a temporary outpost of the Army which had about 20 soldiers when I arrived. I rest a bit and chat with the troops but left right away as I didn't want to be tagged as a government asset knowing that there were "eyes" everywhere.

With the knowledge from the locals that the northbound route to Pandan was temporarily not passable due to a landslide a day before, I decided to pass eastward through the mountain ranges. "Ingat sir", one of the more friendly soldier says to me as I start to leave. This well meaning remark sent more shivers up my spine. I do not remember when I last felt fear this intense while riding. News articles of soldiers getting sniped just last week and a policeman being dragged by a motorcycle and having his fingernails removed before being executed flashed before me. The trail turned into a single track, taking me through areas that were heavily forested and uninhabited. Paranoia strikes and I feel being watched by imaginary men, deciding whether to make me feel their presence or not. I dared not stop and even contemplated on urinating in my pants while riding.

About three-fourths of the west-east passage, I stop to rest at a hut along the road that had a family or two around it. I chat with them, trying to get to know more of the area. They were farmers/hunters that planted vegetables, harvested coconuts and in occasion would hunt for wild boar. As interested as I was with them, they likewise asked me my purpose of my travel through their area. I tell them of my desire and passion to ride throughout the country and narrate to them the places that I have ridden through. They offer me to eat with them for lunch and I politely refuse as I did not want to impose on them. They tell me to drop by anytime and give me their mobile numbers (they leave their phone with a relative a few kilometers away). They will hunt for a wildboar if I give them advance notice and prepare Tuba (coconut wine) for us men to drink. I tell them that I will bring Fundador and the menfolk smile and shake my hand and tap my shoulder. I felt a bit better now at this time.

I ride off, with less fear now and stop at another clearing to urinate. Oh, I say "tabi-tabi po" first and pray that no one will snipe my you know what. Looking at the GPS, I see that I am not far away from the town of Panganiban and I pick up my pace. The Honda's stock tires are nearly worn out and do slide everywhere. Suddenly, I lock the brakes and skid to a stop a meter or two before a bridge that was washed out. I look around and see an elderly man smiling at me pointing to a path going down where there was a wooden foot-bridge that allowed pedestrians and single motorcycles across the river. I guess the Honda's brakes foiled the highlight of his day to watch someone fly over the bridge (haha).

I reach the cemented roads of Panganiban with much relief, knowing that the south bound road that will take me through Viga and San Miguel and finally to the capital town of Virac is cemented all the way.

I reach our house in San Andres to the relief of our caretaker (he owns the Honda XR200) and my family. I get the usual sermon from my family, but they couldn't wait to see my pictures. I have a heavy lunch at 3pm, a good cup of java and a quick dip at the beach. I thank the Lord and my guardian angels (who I think have worked overtime on more than a few occassions).

To be able to ride to places not yet bastardized by commercialization nor destroyed in the name of progress, is a luxury that I enjoy. Yes, there are factors that some may consider doing so as reckless or even foolish at times. But in my world of technology and urban living, adventure riding always keeps my feet on the ground (pun intended). It lets me know how small and insignificant I am to this planet and that the Philippines ain't so bad as most of us think.

Will I do it again? I sure will.

Cheers!

Teng

My GPS Track on GoogleEarth:
gsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #34
Fustercluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Very cool pics, thanks for posting those!
1993 Ducati 888/SPO
Fustercluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #35
gsblue
i'm undertall...

More of Botolan, Zambales

19 July 2008

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #36
KLM
n00b

Oddometer: 8
nice pics....more pictures please
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #37
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Thanks to all who viewed the pics.

If you'd like to visit the Philippines, please do let us know and maybe we can make your stay more enjoyable and interesting.

Cheers!

gsblue screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 09:11 PM
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #38
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Sitio San Martin, Pampanga

April 2008

Just a few kilometers from the perimeter of the former Clark Air Base.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #39
Hercules
"Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer: 588
I got some updated pix taken last Saturday's easy riding around Antipolo, Rizal.

Five Orange bikes

And the Five Riders

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 01:44 AM
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
Fustercluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Cool pics Herc, thanks for posting those!
1993 Ducati 888/SPO
Fustercluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #41
Hercules

Fustercluck>>

here are more pix of what we did....

This was the terrain we had to cross

That's me waiting for my turn

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 01:48 AM
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #42
Hercules

Go Herc Go!!!

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 01:50 AM
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #43
Hercules

Here are some shots of my ride buddies... How i wish i had a lighter bike as theirs.

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 01:53 AM
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #44
Hercules

From that area we headed up, up and away passing thru this terrain

If you see the route between them, that's where we continued to go up.

There goes the first rider...

Finally at the top

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 02:03 AM
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #45
Hercules

To continue, here are pix taken at the summit:

Hercules screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 02:08 AM