Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #451
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsblue
Hi Doug. Those shots were from Morong, Bataan. A month or two ago I took my 4x4 from Mariveles to Bagac in Bataan. Lovely drive and wanted to do it by bike. But the storm hit it a few days before we arrived on bikes and we had to turn back because of a swollen river, fallen trees and a missing trail. Fun! :)

On 4x4 : http://vimeo.com/12487394

Ride Fail : http://vimeo.com/13474400

Nice Side Trip to Pawikan (Sea Turtle) Conservation Center : http://vimeo.com/13444954

Teng,

I've seen that route on the roadguidePhilippines GPS map and wondered about it. It's listed as a 4x4 trail.

Last weekend I rode from Manila to Bayombong, then the next day was Bayombong, Banaue, Mayaoyao, Aginaldo, Ramon, Santiago, Solano and back to Bayombong. Sunday was Bayombong to Manila again. Arrived in Manila in pouring rain. I saw some Ducati's and few BMW riders on the road.

Riceman
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #452
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv
Teng,

I've seen that route on the roadguidePhilippines GPS map and wondered about it. It's listed as a 4x4 trail.

Last weekend I rode from Manila to Bayombong, then the next day was Bayombong, Banaue, Mayaoyao, Aginaldo, Ramon, Santiago, Solano and back to Bayombong. Sunday was Bayombong to Manila again. Arrived in Manila in pouring rain. I saw some Ducati's and few BMW riders on the road.

Riceman
Nice Doug. How was the Mayaoyao route?
gsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #453
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Quote:
Nice Doug. How was the Mayaoyao route?
I guess I misspelled it. It should of been Mayoyao.

Anyway it was pretty rough, but doable from Banaue to Aguinaldo. I just took it slow and steady which suits my riding style anyway. There were only a couple of deep mud sections that I paddled through with both feet down. It's good I got through the roughest mountain sections before the afternoon rain came. From Aguinaldo to Magat Dam is much improved. Most of it is concrete now. I had my camera, but when I went to use it the battery was completely dead. Siyang.......

Riceman
Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #454
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
In the 8 years that I have lived in the Philippines the "Farms to Market Roads" have been improved a lot. That is great for the farmers and other locals, not so much for those of us that like dirt. But, then it is not about us, is it?
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #455
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
In the 8 years that I have lived in the Philippines the "Farms to Market Roads" have been improved a lot. That is great for the farmers and other locals, not so much for those of us that like dirt. But, then it is not about us, is it?
That's true JP. I have seen much improvement in roads in our home province of Nueva Vizcaya. Many former "barely passable" roads are now concrete there, which has opened up access to other "barely passable roads". I don't think we will run out of chanllenging dirt roads in my life time. Different ones yes, but running out, I don't think so.

Riceman
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #456
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Not really on most people's favorite list, but the paving of our offroad routes is mainly former president Gloria's doing. Most of these routes have been in the planning stage even before president Marcos and most (if not all) of them neglected to pursue nor complete them. The Halsema Highway, Aritao - Benguet Road and a good number of roads in the Cordilleras are some. In my last trip to Balbalasan, Kalinga via Tinglayan and Lubuagan, I was surprised to see paved roads almost all the way past Tinglayan. Somewhere along the way, we missed a turn to a former dirt trail (wasn't looking at the GPS) because it was paved.

Speaking to the locals, they were very pleased as their agri products now have a bigger chance of getting to the markets. As an example, in Balbalasan there is only 1 vehicle that travels to the capital of Tabuk regularly, once a week. Now more "less offroad capable" vehicles can travel because of the better roads.

In Abra, former "in the plan" routes to Ilocos Norte are now open (depending on the weather) and were under construction before the elctions. The road connecting Kabugao in Apayao has (I heard) been greatly improved. Banaue to Bontoc was also an offroader's route but now is all paved, save about 2-3kms. In my father's province of Catanduanes, kilometers of offroads that I enjoyed before are now paved leaving just a bit of the northern part of the island with unpaved roads. In Mindanao the highway from Surigao to Davao which has been greatly neglected in the past, forced the travelers to take the Cagayan de Oro route (many hours longer) was paved and I consider it as a sport biker's dream. Oh, add the SCTEx, NLEx extensions as well. I'm sure there are more and I just stated roads that I have first experience with.

Yes, some (ok a lot) will raise the point of graft and corruption and people probably made a lot of money making those roads. But I'd rather not get into that and just enjoy the riding.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #457
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

The Fact is, the better the roads are, the better it will be for the people of the Philippines. And it is nice to have fresher produce in the markets. Lets keep the water flowing and the lights on.

I will get off my soapbox now, its hard to riding standing on a soapbox.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #458
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Adventure Apayao

For quite a long time now, the Province of Apayao in the Cordilleras has eluded me and remains to be the only province in the Cordilleras that I have not ridden to and explored. I have studied the GPS/printed maps and sat images, read the Wiki (and more).

Anyone interested in joining me? Looking at probably 3-5 days, with lots of time to absorb the natural attractions. From what I gather there are only 2-3 places to stay in Kabugao (Capital) and we might end up sleeping under the stars in some places.

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #459
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

gsblue, please tell me more. As you know, I would be on an XR200. Is it suitable for where you are planning, I guess what I want to know is are you planning on two track, or deep mud, steep single track. I have seen the pictures of you and mud.

And when are you planning on doing this?

Paul Prescott...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #460
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Quote:
For quite a long time now, the Province of Apayao in the Cordilleras has eluded me and remains to be the only province in the Cordilleras that I have not ridden to and explored. I have studied the GPS/printed maps and sat images, read the Wiki (and more).

Anyone interested in joining me? Looking at probably 3-5 days, with lots of time to absorb the natural attractions. From what I gather there are only 2-3 places to stay in Kabugao (Capital) and we might end up sleeping under the stars in some places.

Any info will be appreciated.
I'm interested and would like to hear the details of your plan, particularly when you plan to do this.

Riceman
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #461
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Doug & Paul, no specific date in mind yet, probably late August or early Sept. I will be on my 650 so I think the XR200 will be more than capable. Not really sure of the road conditions, some say most of it are backroads. I will post more here when I get more info.

Teng
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #462
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds good to me. I like your ideas.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #463
bato73
Rock73

Oddometer: 18
Can I join beerboy? aslong as we sleep under the stars. I like this. Please no hotel.

Don
bato73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #464
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
Sounds good to me. I like your ideas.
Thanks, I will try to come up with more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bato73
Can I join beerboy? aslong as we sleep under the stars. I like this. Please no hotel.

Don
Of course you can Don.

Boys, should I move this into a new thread? Don't really want to hijack this one.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #465
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, I will try to come up with more details.

Of course you can Don.

Boys, should I move this into a new thread? Don't really want to hijack this one.
A new thread maybe the right thing to do, as it looks like this trip will generate interest.