User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #76
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Oddometer: 168
Lake Mampaen, Zambales

Just about 45-50kms from the main Highway off the town of Castillejos in Zambales, is Barangay Pili where Lake Mampaen is located. The path leading to Pili is compact offroad with some sections of loose gravel and dry lahar (slippery!).

Lake Mampaen was formed after the Pinatubo eruption. It was a valley rich with crops like palay and corn, but was flooded with rainwater when river paths were blocked by lahar. People who settled in what they thought were high-grounds evacuated and are now re-settled in what they deemed as the mountain part of their valley.

Also situated in the area is the abandoned Dizon Mines. Settlers composing mostly of Aetas scour the area for minute taces of gold. They also scavenge the area for scrap metals from infrastructures buried by the lahar. A local told me that hundreds of displaced SBMA workers have also settled in the area.

An interesting feature of the lake is a submerged church which has only it's cross above water. According to the locals I talked to, the lake has tilapias, dalag and eels. Although they bathe in the lake, some locals boil the water first before drinking as they are afraid that remnants of the chemicals used in the mines might have trickled down into the lake.

There are lots more trails to be explored and locals say that there are some that lead to different towns of Zambales, as far as Botolan and even to Capas in Tarlac. Hmmmm....

gsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #77
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,665
Whats that in the middle of the lake? Not a wakeboarding jump
Thanks for the pics
Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #78
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
Whats that in the middle of the lake? Not a wakeboarding jump
Thanks for the pics
Nope, it's the tip of the submerged church.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 AM   #79
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsblue
Nope, it's the tip of the submerged church.

Amazing.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #80
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Just about 45-50kms from the main Highway off the town of Castillejos in Zambales, is Barangay Pili where Lake Mampaen is located. The path leading to Pili is compact offroad with some sections of loose gravel and dry lahar (slippery!).

Lake Mampaen was formed after the Pinatubo eruption. It was a valley rich with crops like palay and corn, but was flooded with rainwater when river paths were blocked by lahar. People who settled in what they thought were high-grounds evacuated and are now re-settled in what they deemed as the mountain part of their valley.

Also situated in the area is the abandoned Dizon Mines. Settlers composing mostly of Aetas scour the area for minute taces of gold. They also scavenge the area for scrap metals from infrastructures buried by the lahar. A local told me that hundreds of displaced SBMA workers have also settled in the area.

An interesting feature of the lake is a submerged church which has only it's cross above water. According to the locals I talked to, the lake has tilapias, dalag and eels. Although they bathe in the lake, some locals boil the water first before drinking as they are afraid that remnants of the chemicals used in the mines might have trickled down into the lake.

There are lots more trails to be explored and locals say that there are some that lead to different towns of Zambales, as far as Botolan and even to Capas in Tarlac. Hmmmm....

nice pics...and it looks like you downsized your ride....

i find the gs way too heavy and happier riding the 640A until it died a month or so ago.

joel
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #81
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
nice pics...and it looks like you downsized your ride....

i find the gs way too heavy and happier riding the 640A until it died a month or so ago.

joel
Thanks Joel. The GS12 has been on battery tender ever since I got the X. Sucks on the highways though...so I try and look for side roads instead.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #82
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Thanks Joel. The GS12 has been on battery tender ever since I got the X. Sucks on the highways though...so I try and look for side roads instead.
the last time i rode my gs was in January Ojai/Carrizo/Pozo but before that was in August WMRS. haven't been putting a lot of miles.

btw, there's the hp2 calling your name......

have you seen one of them out there....i would guess it will be around 1M pesos there.

joel
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #83
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
the last time i rode my gs was in January Ojai/Carrizo/Pozo but before that was in August WMRS. haven't been putting a lot of miles.

btw, there's the hp2 calling your name......

have you seen one of them out there....i would guess it will be around 1M pesos there.

joel
The HP2 has been calling but I haven't been listening. The GS on TKCs will do for now. Btw the standard '09 R1200GS is already P1.2M.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #84
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
The HP2 has been calling but I haven't been listening. The GS on TKCs will do for now. Btw the standard '09 R1200GS is already P1.2M.

that's equivalent to $24K....holy crap

and the hp2 here in the usa when new was $20K...it will be P2.5M there then...

i will be happy riding the xr200 ....

is yamaha planning to sell the wr250 there? that's a pretty popular bike here in california. can you get a plate for your wr450?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #85
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
that's equivalent to $24K....holy crap

and the hp2 here in the usa when new was $20K...it will be P2.5M there then...

i will be happy riding the xr200 ....

is yamaha planning to sell the wr250 there? that's a pretty popular bike here in california. can you get a plate for your wr450?
Afaik, only 2 HP2s were sold by BMW Phils and 2 more brought it from elsewhere.

I doubt if Yamaha Phils will bring the WRs in, they make lotsa mulah on their scooters and would probably sell only a few WRs a year. For the brand new price + taxes on a WR250, most guys would probably settle for a used Honda Super4 or an XR400/650.

I can get my WR450F plated, just have to install side mirrors, directional lights, pay taxes, etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #86
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
hello,

where is a good place to buy bikes (dirt or dual sports) in philippines? usually in pampanga.

thanks

Pine Sol screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 11:26 PM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #87
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol
hello,

where is a good place to buy bikes (dirt or dual sports) in philippines? usually in pampanga.

thanks
Hi there.

Dirtbikes available from local (official) distributors are : the Honda XR200, Yamaha XT225 Serrow (not sure if they still sell new DT125) and the Kawasaki KMX125. I'm sure the big 3 have dealers in Pampanga.

BMW and KTM have dealers here and they usually have the latest models but both are based in Manila (45mins away from Pampanga).

Other dirtbikes/dualsports can be bought also from independent importers who can order them for you. What specific bike are you looking for? Maybe I can PM you some contact info.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #88
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
Noticed the Garmin 550 on the bike, I wonder how good mapsource is on Philippine road maps.

Good thread

Thanks for sharing
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/

malmon screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 03:59 PM
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #89
PIklr
Adventure Guide

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmon
Noticed the Garmin 550 on the bike, I wonder how good mapsource is on Philippine road maps.

Good thread

Thanks for sharing
The maps are actually quite good, I must add they are a work in progress, I would not recommend an adventure rider with no experience riding in Asia or the Philippines to show up with a garmin loaded with maps and take off. You will be in a world of hurt. Local knowledge is a must, in the long run friends or guides can save you time, money and make your trip much more enjoyable.

Bryan
Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #90
stampedeblue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
nice pics and stories.

keep it coming guys.
stampedeblue is offline   Reply With Quote