User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #961
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Thanks for the ideas regarding gear!

@ YnotJP, where have you ridden in the Philippines? Where would you recommend we start?
The rush from riding on two wheels... priceless.
dunesnstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #962
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
All of my Philippine riding has been on Luzon. I live in Manila, and have gone up along the West coast along the South China Sea as far North as Vigan. Inland up thru Bagio up to Sagada to Tabuk, back down thru Santiago City, Bagabag.

I have a Honda XR 200 here. To ride the Expressways you need to have a 450 cc or larger. I therefore stick to the secondary road, which I prefer, other than for getting out of Manila both North and South it would make it easier to be able to get on the Expressways.

For a first time motorcycle tour in the Philippines I would do the Angeles City North trip. The Rice Terraces at Banaue are a must see. There is great riding in the Mountain Province.

There are several ride reports here about North Luzon rides that show what it is like.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #963
Saboteur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hello everyone!!

Just want to share another set of photos from my recently concluded Pagudpud Ilocos Norte Escapade... Enjoy the photos..

Some High Dynamic Range Photos for starters

My riding buddies

The views

Others

- Kawasaki Rouser
- Real Soon *Kawasaki Versys*
Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #964
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackemcrackem View Post
Dunesnstars,

Several of the contributors to this thread fit the category of ADV "guru" much better than I do but having vacationed and been on a few rides in the Philippines, I can offer a little information.

If you are planning to rent on Luzon, Nice-Bike in Angeles City is the only rental business I know of, at least for larger bikes. Roland, the owner has a large selection of bikes, including Honda Transalps and at least one Honda Dominator. I rented a nice Transalp for 10 days in late March of this year and the cost was under $30 US/day. Rented a Dominator last year but the Transalps are better all-around bikes.

I'm sure you will need to return the bikes to Angeles.

From Manila (Pasay City), you can catch either a 5-Star or Victory Liner bus to the Dau terminal at Angeles that is a 100p tricycle ride from Nice-Bike. The bus trip is approx. one and a half hours but barely costs more than the tricycle fare! From Angeles, virtually anyplace in central or northern Luzon is within reach within 3-4 days. If you haven't yet been to Sagada or Banaue, I highly recommend that region of Luzon for (very) twisty and scenic riding.

I believe that one of the contributors to this thread has a rental and tour business based in Dumaguete, on Negros Island. KLRs and smaller bikes are available there. I don't know what is available on Palawan so maybe someone else can help you with that query.

Small bikes are also available at Lapu-Lapu near the Cebu airport and on Bohol.

For your friend who has never been to the Philippines, riding there will be an eye-opening experience to say the least! My first trip there was at age 52 with only one and a half years' total riding experience and I survived a week of riding just fine, though, so it can be done! My advice...don't allow yourself to skimp on protective gear, just in case...

Terry
Hi Terry!

We are soooo excited about our upcoming trip! We are leaving May 18th and heading home on June 6th. We've decided to take the North Luzon route, per your suggestion (and my Dad's).

We are still trying to find a well documented ride report so we can kinda plan ahead of time. Do you know any KLR or like type of moto rentals North of Manila?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #965
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 397
Good choice to ride northern Luzon!

If you do a search, you will find good 'tourist' documentation by inmates Jopos and ISAW, among others. Of course Herc and other Philippines residents have posted many ride reports but many of Herc's trips involve much higher daily distances than you would want to consider!

Angeles City is the only place to rent anything KLRish on Luzon and is about one and a half hours north of Manila. Honda Transalps are available from Nice-bike.com and have a v-twin motor that gives smoother power delivery than KLR's, plus an additional 15 HP, or so. They provide top boxes but you might want to bring a tank bag. If you and your husband are average sized, there is plenty of room for comfortable 2-up riding, and the bikes are not quite as tall as a KLR.

In a previous post, I mentioned the Pasay City bus terminal on the EDSA for catching a ride to Angeles. You can also take a bus from Cubao, which is also on the EDSA.
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #966
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

To contact the owner of nice-bike for a reservation, I've had a much faster reply by e-mailing rolandwelte@hotmail.com, instead of using the website's e-mail.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #967
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

You and I seem to be the only ones active on this forum. I never knew Filipinos were so shy. I know I'm not!

Good info on the translaps. The seat height being lower than a KLR is a definite plus! It looks like nice bike will deliver the bike to us. But I think we will start our trip from Angeles. Leaving out of Manila seems like a really bad way to start a fun trip! We will have a car and driver while in Manila so getting to Angeles shouldn't be an issue.

Do you know what type of support nice bikes will provide should the bike break down? My husband can fix just about anything mechanically related but we decided that we are going to leave his tool box behind.

Do they offer insurance, etc? And if so, is it worth purchasing?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #968
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Yes, navigating Manila on a bike requires 'special' talents and it's definitely not advisable for first-time Philippines riders. I've ridden across Manila a bunch of times now, but didn't feel comfortable with it until my fourth trip. Angeles can seem a little chaotic at rush hour, but you'll feel like a pro at lane splitting by the end of your trip.

Just keeep an eye out for tricycle drivers signalling turns with their foot and for the many small bikes without mirrors. After a few situations where oncoming trucks or buses will pass each other by pushing you off onto the shoulder, it just becomes part of the fun! It's good that you aren't shy because you will want to use your bike's horn a lot!

As far as insurance, I foget exactly what I was told regarding availability but the gist of it was that insurance policies are essentially worthless in the Phils. If there's a problem, be prepared with pesos. I think nice-bike can stage a rescue with their truck, in case of mechanical problems but I haven't needed that service. I recommend tipping the very helpful employees Tess and Ryan, it will score you some points.

In regard to flats, I haven't had any but there are little tire repair shops everywhere.

Also be prepared to leave a passport (keep a photocopy) as collateral. There is no point in arguing, it's just the way it is. Payment is in cash, only, but they will wait until you return the bikes.

I've been following your posts, partly because I hope to see a fun ride report from you!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #969
Saboteur
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunesnstars View Post
Hi Terry!

We are soooo excited about our upcoming trip! We are leaving May 18th and heading home on June 6th. We've decided to take the North Luzon route, per your suggestion (and my Dad's).

We are still trying to find a well documented ride report so we can kinda plan ahead of time. Do you know any KLR or like type of moto rentals North of Manila?
Hi there... The photos I posted in the previous page and above are some of the views that you will expect if you will be doing the North Luzon trip...

You may also want to check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBJC0sOUmY

Anyhow, try to avoid riding at night for safety reasons. It gets pitch black on the roads at night specially in the extreme northern Luzon and gas stations in most towns are more likely to be closed unless you are in a city. Good luck and enjoy your trip...
- Kawasaki Rouser
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #970
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackemcrackem View Post
Yes, navigating Manila on a bike requires 'special' talents and it's definitely not advisable for first-time Philippines riders. I've ridden across Manila a bunch of times now, but didn't feel comfortable with it until my fourth trip. Angeles can seem a little chaotic at rush hour, but you'll feel like a pro at lane splitting by the end of your trip.

Just keeep an eye out for tricycle drivers signalling turns with their foot and for the many small bikes without mirrors. After a few situations where oncoming trucks or buses will pass each other by pushing you off onto the shoulder, it just becomes part of the fun! It's good that you aren't shy because you will want to use your bike's horn a lot!

As far as insurance, I foget exactly what I was told regarding availability but the gist of it was that insurance policies are essentially worthless in the Phils. If there's a problem, be prepared with pesos. I think nice-bike can stage a rescue with their truck, in case of mechanical problems but I haven't needed that service. I recommend tipping the very helpful employees Tess and Ryan, it will score you some points.

In regard to flats, I haven't had any but there are little tire repair shops everywhere.

Also be prepared to leave a passport (keep a photocopy) as collateral. There is no point in arguing, it's just the way it is. Payment is in cash, only, but they will wait until you return the bikes.

I've been following your posts, partly because I hope to see a fun ride report from you!
There definitely will be a ride report!

I'm really erked about leaving my passport. I rented a car at Koh Samui in Thailand several years back. They tried to pull that crap but it came down to them allowing me to keep my passport or them losing the business.... I had the most interesting time shifting with my left hand while driving on the other side of the road. I had to make a u-turn and its sad to say, it ended up being a 5 point turn and held up traffic for about 3-4 minutes, ok maybe 5.

My uncle has volunteered to make all the arrangements for us. Not really surecwhat that means yet but I'm pretty sure he will be sending one of his employees to Angeles City to check out the bike and set everything up. Hopefully they will ask for his passport instead.

I think we have pretty much decided our first pit stop will be in Banaue from Angeles City. It's around 280 km. is this being too ambitious?

By the way, speaking of reports... here's the link to my 650r to enduro build thread just in case you are interested: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #971
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Saboteur for the tips!

Where would you make your next pit stop if you were in Banaue heading North counter clockwise? Somewhere in between Aparri and Claveria.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #972
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Banaue is definitely possible in a day, although it's likely to feel like an accomplishment to ride there on your first day. If you get fatigued or have a late start, there is a nice, new hotel with very reasonable rates at the north end of San Jose, Nueva Ecija. If my memory is correct, it's the Hotel Francesca.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #973
Saboteur
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunesnstars View Post
Thanks Saboteur for the tips!

Where would you make your next pit stop if you were in Banaue heading North counter clockwise? Somewhere in between Aparri and Claveria.
If you could push through all the way to Sanchez Mira or Claveria then that would be good... I think Claveria is your best bet. What route are you going to take from Banaue to Cagayan? Is it via Nueva Vizcaya or via Bontoc - Tabuk? Anyhow, via Nueva Vizcaya is much better and way safer. Why not stay for the night in Tuguegarao Cagayan then push through towards Pagudpud Ilocos Norte the next day?
- Kawasaki Rouser
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #974
DanTheMan07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I think banue would be a strech unless you can leave early. It's not far but with Philippine traffic double the normal time. I left Angeles mid day and made it to sanjoes in time to find hotel before dark. Just so you know most stores and restos in the province close by 7. Yes even grocery stores. But can always find something open. But maybe not what you want. I think nicebike gave me a small tool kit and an extra tube. For tire repair look for "vulcanizing shop". The people here are very helpful. So if you get into trouble just flag someone down they will help. On the mobile but if you can search under my post you can see my ride report of a very similar trip.
DanTheMan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #975
dunesnstars
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
What route are you going to take from Banaue to Cagayan? Is it via Nueva Vizcaya or via Bontoc - Tabuk? Anyhow, via Nueva Vizcaya is much better and way safer. Why not stay for the night in Tuguegarao Cagayan then push through towards Pagudpud Ilocos Norte the next day?
We were looking at the Bontoc-tabuk route because it looks a lot shorter. But google maps automatically sends us the southern route. is it because the Bontoc-tabuk route is too windy, maybe going thru the mountains?