And the Motorcade continues on......

Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #1037
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,384
Wicked Bantayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunesnstars View Post
Yes it definitely a bummer. I checked out Bantayan Island. Wow, it's beautiful. Saw an amazing house that just sold for a great deal 6.5MM. Would have seriously considered jumping on that! Looking at pictures of the islands makes mpowers and I wonder why we live in the States!

Are you familiar with moto rental places that allow you to drop off somewhere else? And you might be partial but how do you feel about Palawan and Boracay? The more I've looked in to it, it's looking very commercialized and not to mention, overpriced.
Sorry im so slow to reply to your post about Bantayan , Boracay, Palawan . I was supposed to go to Boracay this trip but it didn't happen . One of my good friends at Santa Fe here lived on Boracay for a long time before shifting here , he said just to many tourists there, All of my friends who have been to Palawan loved it . Im nearly 4 months into a 6 month stay here , I love Santa Fe on Bantayan , it a good community of people and if yr an expat they all speak english , where as if u go to a bar on Bohol with expats there most of the time they r speaking German . I have some good pics of this trip so will load some more . I rent a 3 bedroom house inc a suzuki multicab for 8,000pesos a month plus power which costs another 600p . As for moto rental I would just buy a XR200 or similar bike and sell b4 u leave .Cheers Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #1038
carloscyclecare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
XR's baptism of fire- destination unknown

Finally made sense to get a small dual sport machine and stop punishing the scooter.

2 days before baptism of fire

Giving the scoot a break from abuse

Typical sunday breakfast scene in Marilaque

Typical public transportation in Philippine provinces

I am 5'10" and am tip toed if on the XR200. Didn't imagine the bike would look this skinny though

Eroded road way back, and it sill is the same now

Typical Philippine provicial road side scenery...beautiful

Saw this on the side of a bridge. Water from the water falls and the river is a bit dry compared from rainy season to February. But this will do.

This bridge is where we were when we spotted the mini falls.

No entrance, no problem. Road barriers ain't enough to stop an eager adventurer. Managed to slip the bike and 2 scoots at the side of the barriers and curb. Terrain was steep and tires offer not much grip from loose rocks and soil. Able to talk my friends to punish their scoots as well.

A friend on a scoot managed to cool off on nature's jacuzzi

On the road again to explore much more on what lies on the side and back roads of a commonly passed biker's ride destination.

Big river spotted on the left side of the road. So there we went.
Scooters go first for photo ops

The terrain down below. River rocks, round and loose. Almost no control of the bike here.

Friends drink and be merry, no beers this time. Probably next time when we camp.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #1039
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,304
Carlo, You will enjoy the XR-200. I got one in 2004, and it has been a good bike. You should think about some after market hand guards to save the fingers and levers in the event of a drop. Also, carry a good tire guage and a small air pump, you will find that lowering the tire pressure when riding the dirt and river beds makes it a lot better. But, be sure to air the tires back up when you get back to pavement.

I have enjoyed your posts and photos, I know that is going to a high miles XR-200 soon. Keep the ride reports coming.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #1040
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Bantayan Island

Im 4 months into my 6 month stay so will share it with yous .

My main transport is my Kenji Superbike , a far more socially acceptable form of transport here .

1st flat tire so I waited on side of road and a man goes past and says " Stay there Sir and I bee the one to repair for you". No call out charges here .

o

This is the home and suzuki im renting

Bocnut and Hanna love to get here pics taken . Kids here are special compared to my country.

This is the view from my friends home . We have a few drinks looking at this view .

This girl is 1 of my neighbours , works so hard , I appreciate turning on he tap and getting running water and not having to carry it from the well .

Sugar Beach at Santa Fe

Fish Ponds

Things were not going so good with my girlfriend here so I found a better 1 Elvie

Elvie and her work mates

Its not what you have in life , Its the pride u take in what you have that counts and the people of Marikaban take a lot of pride in their village .

Sari sari store

This coastal road is my favorite ride
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #1041
carloscyclecare
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
Carlo, You will enjoy the XR-200. I got one in 2004, and it has been a good bike. You should think about some after market hand guards to save the fingers and levers in the event of a drop. Also, carry a good tire guage and a small air pump, you will find that lowering the tire pressure when riding the dirt and river beds makes it a lot better. But, be sure to air the tires back up when you get back to pavement.

I have enjoyed your posts and photos, I know that is going to a high miles XR-200 soon. Keep the ride reports coming.
Thanks for the tips YnotJP. Yup been enjoying the XR so far and can't wait to bring her to more back roads.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #1042
carloscyclecare
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=hondav2;19001714]Im 4 months into my 6 month stay so will share it with yous .

Such a beautiful place hondav2
Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #1043
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Wicked Thanks Carloscyclecare

[QUOTE=carloscyclecare;19008631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Im 4 months into my 6 month stay so will share it with yous .

Such a beautiful place hondav2
Yes Santa Fe is my second home , the first time I came here was for 4 days and after I had stayed 7 weeks the owner of Kiwi Kottages said to me , " Im not trying to be rude but the girls would like to know if u will be leaving as they would like to take forward bookings for your room . Cheers Toddy
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #1044
DanTheMan07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
[QUOTE=hondav2;19009783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloscyclecare View Post

Yes Santa Fe is my second home , the first time I came here was for 4 days and after I had stayed 7 weeks the owner of Kiwi Kottages said to me , " Im not trying to be rude but the girls would like to know if u will be leaving as they would like to take forward bookings for your room . Cheers Toddy
Same thing happened to me in Boracay, came for 4 days staid for 8 months.
DanTheMan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #1045
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Eek Palawod Festival 2012 Bantayan Town

This is the 2nd Palawod Festival I have have been to here and though I would share it with you . The costumes are always amazing .

2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #1046
ootpik
Harley and Watsonian

Oddometer: 10
Canadian moving to the Philippines

Excellent pictures. My wife is a filapina from Coloran Siay Zamboanga Sebugay. We will be moving there in a few years after I retire, 2014-15 hopefully. I have read from the first entry, page 1 up to page 70 and liked every bit of all the pictures and write ups. Last winter it kept me warm at 30 below zero here in Manitoba. I have a Harley Sportster with a Watsonian Monaco sidecar and a Honda CT 90 which would be good for the back road rides you do. It will do 45 miles per hour and is great in the gravel. When we move there it will be to Cagayan De Oro a mile from the ocean. We already have the property and will be building in the next year or two. Keep all the write ups and beautiful pictures coming, I enjoy all of it.. Doug and Jazzy in Manitoba
ootpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #1047
98Virago
98Virago

Oddometer: 91
Feb. 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post

On the bright side, consider yourself lucky if you get to meet me or any other Philippine inmates when you visit the Phils. I can show you around (if I am free) and go on a ride with you too, provided that you wont bitch or nag me during the ride.

Cheers!

Hi Herc,

Me and another inmate are planning to visit PI early next year of February 2013. We know that you are always busy with your local adventures but just in case you are free, it will be our honor to follow your lead. Please let us know if you can show us around for a week or two.

Thanks in advance,
Gery & Enrique

Ride Safe,
98Virago
98Virago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #1048
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

For those around the world who have been watching the news, the Philippines has been wet this last week. Many think of Seattle, Washington as being very wet, and it is. In Manila, in two days, we got more rain than Seattle gets in a year and a half. There was wide spread flooding in many areas of Luzon.

It is drying out, and we can get back to normal.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #1049
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,542
Yep, we've been seeing coverage of the disastrous flooding in the local(Seattle)news.

Local groups are organising flood relief efforts . . . . . .

Hope everything is getting back to what it was.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #1050
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Watercat, Many thanks to those who are helping, it is very much needed. This morning's news said that the death toll now stands at 64, and many are still displaced, and will be for some time.

San Miguel Corp. is one of the companies who have made large donations. On the lighter side, I will do my part by drinking a few extra San Miguel beers.