User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #1456
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Stalling for time

Just consolidating my photos and looking for other good ones to post. Thanks for the instructions @raj914, I'll be posting my worthy photos soon!

In the meantime I'm just trying to catch up on this thread, I'm already on page 41 right now. I must say I'm really enjoying the read!

It would seem Herc is one of the stars of this thread. So sad to never have met the man. Must have been on heck of a cool guy!

Anyhoo, are there any of you who have rides scheduled for this May? I'm planning to ride to Sagada two-up with my wifey, might be a good idea to have other riders with me to make the experience for my girlfriend much more fun! Let me know!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #1457
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Just sharing a few pics from a recent ride to Baler.

On the other side of the Sierra Madres.

Squiggly lines on the GPS means fun riding ahead.

Beachfront parking.

The place is pretty rustic, but at least it's right in front of the beach.

On the way home.

On NLEX, heading back to Manila
Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #1458
raj914
FYYFF

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiPHadventure View Post
Just consolidating my photos and looking for other good ones to post. Thanks for the instructions @raj914, I'll be posting my worthy photos soon!

In the meantime I'm just trying to catch up on this thread, I'm already on page 41 right now. I must say I'm really enjoying the read!

It would seem Herc is one of the stars of this thread. So sad to never have met the man. Must have been on heck of a cool guy!

Anyhoo, are there any of you who have rides scheduled for this May? I'm planning to ride to Sagada two-up with my wifey, might be a good idea to have other riders with me to make the experience for my girlfriend much more fun! Let me know!
Sir Herc was the flame of this thread, very main reason I am considering getting a Big Bike to explore Luzon if not the entire philippines. I have been driving two wheels since I was a kid. If I only had a BB, I would love to meet/ride with you. Hopefully soon but would cost me arm and leg
Be safe and dont forget the pics

BTW, I live in Paranaque, are you nearby?

raj914 screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 01:22 PM
raj914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #1459
raj914
FYYFF

Thumb GreyThumper

Nice pics and nice to know you guys made it safely. Looks like you enjoyed your stay in baler

-raj
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #1460
riderako
125cc rider

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderako View Post
I am on my 4th day of Philippine Loop......

So, my 6th day started in Davao City around lunch time. I enjoyed the excellent roads of Tagum City and I was in Compostela Valley by 2PM.

As soon as I entered Surigao del Sur, I got off the highway to see Tinuy-An Falls in Bislig. My small bike in street tires was no match for the rough terrain on some parts but the habal-habals make it looks so easy.

shaky cellphone video here

Slowly but surely, I made it to the falls..

All room/s were booked so I had to stay in the open cottage.. Alone in the dark with all the creepy noises the forest was making. There was no cell service either. My shower the following morning was the full force of the waterfall. I left early that morning.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #1461
riderako
125cc rider

Again, the rough terrain shook every part of me and the bike as we head back to the main road. A little later in Hinatuan, another side trip forced me onto another off-road uphill-downhill ride on another access road very much the same to that of Tinuy-an. Access road to where?

The Enchanted River

It's a small river so deep, no one has yet to dive to the bottom. The source of the river is also unknown. (probably from the nearby sea underground caves)

I didn't have enough time for a dip so I reluctantly headed back to the main road. I must've not been paying attention to the signage along the route that I missed a crucial turn that's supposed to take me back to Maharlika Highway. Instead, I headed in the coastal road of Surigao del Sur and Surigao del Norte. I got lost so deep that it didn't make much sense to turn around. Since it still leads to Surigao City, I decided to push on. Anyway, it was a scenic route and the roads were more than OK. well until Red Mountain that is...

Red mountain is like a quarry site with sticky, red clay and took me more than an hour to cross. 90% of the vehicles there were heavy equipment and 9% were 4-wheeled jeeps, trucks driven by people that has good reason to be there. Im the 1%, the stupid, lost, tourist. I can't help but smile when I see the puzzled looks of the people working there.

Less than 10kms from Surigao City the persistent drizzle I kept ignoring for the past 3hrs has turned into a downpour. It's almost 6PM

I quickly got a room at a cheap hotel and hang my things to dry. I was too exhausted to eat. I will leave early the following morning
Old 04-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #1462
riderako
125cc rider

I got myself to Lipata Port by 01:30AM and the ferry left as scheduled. It was a quick 2-hour crossing to Port of San Ricardo in Samar Island. It seemed a busy port so I thought it would have gas stations open 24/7. I was wrong. I had to wake up a sari-sari store owner at 4am to buy gas. Then I had to resort to "bote-bote" 2 more time further down the road since it was still too early for establishments to open.

At 7AM I was in the tallest bridge in the Philippines. The Agas-agas Bridge. I had my usual meal of energy bars then headed straight for Palo, Leyte and Tacloban City.

It seemed that the calamity happened just a week ago.

We Filipinos are very grateful to all the help and support we've been getting during this very difficult time.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #1463
riderako
125cc rider

The roads after Tacloban were superb. I blasted right past Calbayog and Catbalogan.

I ws already in Allen, Samar by 03:30PM but because of a residential fire the trucks and buses were not able to pass through and the ferry had to wait.

It was already 6Pm when we left for Matnog, Sorsogon, Luzon. We docked at 07:30 PM. I was born and raised in Bicol and that night I stayed at our house in Ligao City, Albay.

I spent the following day playing with my niece and nephew and catching up with some friends.

The next morning, I left for Laguna. I've taken this route numerous times in the past.

As usual, there were a lot of road repairs but despite the long trip, I still made it back to Laguna after 10 hours.

That same night, I reported back to work
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #1464
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderako View Post
That same night, I reported back to work
'Yan ang adventure! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #1465
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I wouldn't even pretend to say Herc was a close friend. But he was a great road buddy. Someone I'd ride with on occasion ever since I started motorcycling in 2007. You know how it is; everyone's a friend when you're both on two wheels.

He was always hilarious, friendly, supportive. Being so funny, he was often the life of the party, but he never had any of the ego or kayabangan non-riders often assumed motorcyclists had.

The last time I hung out with him was quite a long time ago, during the Touratech ride in early 2013. His camping set-up was typically Herc; funny, inventive, and a conversation starter. Looking at this pic of his campsite today, under a different context, it's sad and heartbreaking. Herc was one of the real good guys of this sport we love; he was truly gone too soon.

GreyThumper screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 05:12 AM
GreyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #1466
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

@raj914: It doesn't matter what you choose to ride buddy, it will always be about the journey. :) I live in northern QC. Where do you hang out? Let's meet some time!

@riderako: Fantastic trip you're doing there! Congratulations for doing what a lot of other riders are wishing to do, yours truly included! Alas, time is not yet mine to dictate! If I get the chance I'll do a loop too!

@greythumper: I have only know sir Herc thru reputation as well. I've never spoken to him, only the waves of acknowledgement when we chanced upon him and his groups at the Ironman events we entered. What a guy. He'll be remembered by us here.

So, still catching up on my reading, I'll post my photos when I get to the last page!

Oh, methinks we should get ourselves some ADV stickers... Do we order that in the States?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #1467
raj914
FYYFF

Quote:
@raj914: It doesn't matter what you choose to ride buddy, it will always be about the journey. :) I live in northern QC. Where do you hang out? Let's meet some time!

@riderako: Fantastic trip you're doing there! Congratulations for doing what a lot of other riders are wishing to do, yours truly included! Alas, time is not yet mine to dictate! If I get the chance I'll do a loop too!

@greythumper: I have only know sir Herc thru reputation as well. I've never spoken to him, only the waves of acknowledgement when we chanced upon him and his groups at the Ironman events we entered. What a guy. He'll be remembered by us here.

So, still catching up on my reading, I'll post my photos when I get to the last page!

Oh, methinks we should get ourselves some ADV stickers... Do we order that in the States?
@Kei, Agree with you its not the ride but the journey however I still want to have a bigbike I only ride my Motorcycle to work everyday to avoid traffic... Just in case you head south you can sms me, I will PM you my cell number.

Stay safe!

-raj
Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #1468
rgon
explore cordilleras

Oddometer: 143
Talking Cordillera and beyond

Tracks for this ride can shared, please pm me.

Provinces covered: Benguet, Mt. Province, Kalinga, Apayao, Ifugao and a little of Tuguegarao.
Total Distance covered: 911 kms.
Total Moving Time: 28 hours
Overall average speed: 20 kph

Gadgets, Tools/Etc. on board
1. Tire levers
2. Front & rear inner tubes
3. Basic tools
4. Air pump
5. First Aid kit
6. Onboard Auxiliary stand
7. 12v outlet, cellphone & battery charger
8. VOM, fuses, wires, zip ties

The routes.

Baguio, Benguet to Pasil, Kalinga

Pasil, Kalinga to Tabuk, Kalinga via Conner, Apayao

Tabuk, Kalinga to Banaue, Ifugao via Paracelis, Mt. Province

Banaue, Ifugao to Baguio City, Benguet via Bontoc, Kibungan and Kapangan

The tool.

Mountain views in Buguias, Benguet

Bontoc, Mt. Province ricefield.

Tinglayan woman.

Municipality of Lubuagan, Kalinga

Old buildings in Lubuagan, Kalinga.

Dirt road to Pasil, Kalinga.

Oooppps, I dropped the bike..

Getting ready for lunch -rice cleaning.

On our way to Pinukpuk, Kalinga

Catholic Church in Piat, Tuguegarao

In Tabuk, Kalinga where we stayed. Lubing chain manually.

Outside Tabuk City enroute to Paracelis for Banaue.

In Aguinaldo, Ifugao

In Mayoyao, Ifugao

Banaue, Ifugao. Locals practicing tribal dances.

Local expectator.

Approx. 16 kms outside Banaue heading to Bontoc, Mt. Province.

Madaymen, Benguet

thanks for viewing. btw, when you pass by Baguio City please give me a call, 09158482730. adventure riders are most welcome in our place. i have a good number of tools for maintenance and an open garage.... and hot brewed coffee too plus lots of adventure stories

...see you on the road. cheers and goodluck!

rgon

Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #1469
raj914
FYYFF

Thumb

Nice Pics Rgon I miss the mountains, I was born in baguio. Yes I am an Ilocano :)
Old 05-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #1470
keiPHadventure
Adventurer

Hey! Great to know I have fellow northerners here! I grew up in Baguio and I'm an Ilocano also. Awesome!