User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
1981 Honda CT-110 Trail Review and Observations

Enclosed are a few restoration shots and review of my recent purchase a 1981 CT-110. The 110 versions were from years 1980 thru 1986. The 1981 thru 1986 have the coveted dual transmission. The bike has a main tank under the seat and an auxiliary storage tank under the back rack. This bike had 550 miles and was a great Craig’s list find. The bike weighs in at 202 lbs per the owners manual. The Yahoo site is a great resource for these bikes. Best to get the 110 version rather than the CT-90. Many parts are available on e-bay. I rebuilt the carb, new points, condenser, plug also adjusted timing, clutch and valves.

New E-bay shocks for $40 to replace the rusty OEM shocks

Just remove the bushing and perfect fit

There adjustable too!

Side by side

Front view of bike…I added the front rack, new mirrors, changed the front fork oil with ATF

Right side view….painted skid plate, center stand, foot pegs muffler, rear rack, kick stand

Came with a buddy seat….not shown…also I added rear foot pegs and fixed the rear tail turn signals

Painted the aux tank…The tank is more of a fuel carrier, it does not feed fuel into the carb, you would transfer the fuel from the aux tank into the tank under the seat by pouring it. Kick stand painted. most decals removed

Engine removed 2x bolts…engine weighs ~50 lbs

Rebuilt engine for swap…from E-bay

Old one pretty rusty

Raise into position

Bolt up to frame…real easy to work on

Parts off to be painted

Tank inspected…lots of rust in there

As seen here

Fuel Tank treatment chemicals

Close outlet with fuel line

Add Muritic acid + some bolts and shake…remove…add phosphoric acid and shake….all clean

Review and observations of bike:
1. Fun to ride
2. 4x speed auto clutch…so no clutch…
3. Maximum level speed 48 mph
4. Claimed to get 100 mpg
5. weak suspension…ok for trails
6. 6V electrical system (all are 6v)
7 . lots of parts available
8 can upgrade engine to get more power
9 can ride 2 up

My other ride
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm4755
Best to get the 110 version rather than the CT-90.
I think this may be a bit misleading. Not all CT110's are created equally.

The CT110 has a 16cc advantage in displacement over the CT90 (89 v. 105), but it is also heavier than the CT90. In reality performance is a wash.

Anecdotal evidence suggets the 69 K1 model puts out the most power stock due to a hotter stock cam and jetting.

1980 like you mentioned lacked the dual range tranmission that is present on all CT90's and 81-86 CT110's. Also 1982 and on went to a CDI ignition. This is nice, but good luck sourcing a replacement.

As far as parts go due to sheer production volume in the states CT90's have a better parts supply. The CT110 is still produced in small numbers globally but good luck scoring those parts domestically. Either way DrATV is a good bet.

Now I am a bit biased but I also think aestecially the CT90's trumped the CT110's with more metal and less plastic - but thats debateable.

Otherwise awesome looking ride! Enjoy it- I know I enjoy mine.

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
I think this may be a bit misleading. Not all CT110's are created equally.

The CT110 has a 16cc advantage in displacement over the CT90 (89 v. 105), but it is also heavier than the CT90. In reality performance is a wash.

Anecdotal evidence suggets the 69 K1 model puts out the most power stock due to a hotter stock cam and jetting.

1980 like you mentioned lacked the dual range tranmission that is present on all CT90's and 81-86 CT110's. Also 1982 and on went to a CDI ignition. This is nice, but good luck sourcing a replacement.

As far as parts go due to sheer production volume in the states CT90's have a better parts supply. The CT110 is still produced in small numbers globally but good luck scoring those parts domestically. Either way DrATV is a good bet.

Now I am a bit biased but I also think aestecially the CT90's trumped the CT110's with more metal and less plastic - but thats debateable.

Otherwise awesome looking ride! Enjoy it- I know I enjoy mine.

Love those little toys. Price when new?
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I sure wish Honda would bring them back. They're still in production and sold as "agricultural bikes" (???) in a few countries, the last I checked. I have a fantasy of traveling the western U. S. on one when I retire but I don't want to do it on something I might have trouble getting parts for.

What wonderful, simple little motorbikes, whether the early Trail 55/90, the later CT-90 or the final 110 version. With gasoline going to record highs America needs a durable and practical bike like this and the Chinese ought to build a quality reproduction of these. I'd be perfectly happy with a 1980-style motor without the "high/low" range gearbox and if I needed to lower the gearing I'd use an overlay sprocket like the original Trail 55/90 had. My experience with Chinese motors on pit bikes has shown they can build a reliable and durable unit and at an excellent price--if you can stomach the idea that they're made in a brutal Communist country.

Eek!! More boring fiction--One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited:
http://woodsrat.com/one-last-ride-in...-by-tim-weaver

Woodsrat screwed with this post 04-01-2008 at 10:24 AM
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,539

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/125c...shen-es125zsc/
from Deals Direct (Australian discount shopping site) Prices in Australian dollars!
Quote:
This Zongshen es125zsc 125cc Motor is the perfect replacement for most existing 50cc, 110cc and even 125cc engines. It closely resembles Hondas CT110 design and at around 7KW @ 9000 RPM it is a great upgrade for most dirt bikes, choppers and performance pocket bikes.
MAIN FEATURES:
  • Engine type:
    • Single cylinder, 4 stroke, air-cooling, slanting set
  • Displacement (ml):
  • Over Dimension (mm*mm*mm):
    • 450*280*220
  • Net Weight (Kg):
  • Max. Power (Kw/r/min):
    • 8/8000±500
  • Max. Torque:
    • 8.8/5500 ±500
  • Compression Ration:
    • 9.2:1
  • Bore and Stroke:
    • 54*54
  • Fuel Consumption:
    • 367g/Km.h
  • Starting Method:
    • Electric/Kick
  • Clutch Method:
    • Manual, wet, multi-disc
  • Gearshift Method:
    • 4 Speed gearshift
  • Lubricating Method:
    • Press splash
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE: $480
WAS $379
BIN PRICE $269
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

I was fortunate to find a FULLY AUTOMATIC 48cc Loncin motor on eBay brand new for $33 US (plus $49 shipping). These are the Honda 50 four-stroke lookalikes installed in Chinese mini quads. There are deals to be had on these little motors--shop around!!

This unit, installed in my Passport chassis, will make it motorized bicycle legal here in Indiana and many other states.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
twotired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
still sold new here in New Zealand
Attached Images

twotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

These are the straight four-speed versions, right? As sold in Austrailia as "Postie Bikes?"

Lord, do I want one...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat
These are the straight four-speed versions, right? As sold in Austrailia as "Postie Bikes?"

Lord, do I want one...
Im pretty sure NZ gets the traditional 4speed with the high/low transfer case and subtransmisson. It is sold as an agricultural bike. Identical to the last 1986 model sold in the US, but with 12v lighting.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/b...elID=126&type= - you can clearly see the sub-transmission

The postie of AU of course lacks the sub-transmission, and also is slightly tweaked with a different speedometer placement and crash bars.

27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" height="80" width="168"> Delivers where it counts
With top marks for reliability, quality, durability, comfort, and economy - it's no wonder this bike has a mighty reputation with farmers across the nation. With its four-stroke reliability and great economy the CT110 has a smooth torque curve for controllability. It also has a dual range four-speed transmission allowing eight speeds.
The CT110 has a convenient heel toe shifter, automatic centrifugal clutch, and a wet sump oil system similar to your vehicle. It also comes with a front carrier, and standard left and right side stands.

public-pricelist-19-mar-2008.pdf
(17kb)

error cooled screwed with this post 04-04-2008 at 11:20 PM
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Like the song sez--you don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

I’ve enclosed a few more photo’s of the CT110 in contrast with the KLR650

CT 110 back from a store run

hi/lo shifter placard

actual hi/lo lever

added from basket

clutch adjust behind that rubber boot by rear brake lever

6v battery and tool kit behind that cover

6v battery tender

CT-110 and KLR650

offset front view

side view

rear 1/4 view

another rear view..this CT-110 is in great shape. Less that 600 miles, KLR has 7,000 miles

this is where I store the CT in the garage

6V battery tender leads

no hassle connector

out of the way when not in use

plenty of room for the KLR as a stable mate!
Keithm
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
twotired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
>>Im pretty sure NZ gets the traditional 4speed with the high/low transfer case and subtransmisson. It is sold as an agricultural bike. Identical to the last 1986 model sold in the US, but with 12v lighting. <<

Thats correct,they are sold here as a farm bike and have the high/low transmission.
twotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,272
Very nice restoration. What kind of top speed do you get?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,478
My first bike was the CT90. Top speed was 65 mph downhill and that was, to be kind, inadvisable. 50 was a good flatland speed.

I noticed the 110 has a black rack, is it chrome underneath? I've never seen anything but chrome racks. And my buddy seat was a pillow and a bungee cord. I spent many happy days running that poor little bike pretty much into the dirt, you can kill them, but it takes effort. Oh, and I got 73 miles per gallon...back when gas was .68 a gallon, a buck and a half would run it all week.

I'm waiting for Honda to bring them back over here (unlikely) or one of the Chinese knockoffs to show up. That basic C90/CT90 architecture is one of the most popular small bikes on the planet, in 50cc form (Cub) IIRC it is the most built motorcycle of all time. New CT110's are $3500 in japan. Way more than I am going to spend on one.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Very nice restoration. What kind of top speed do you get?
My real life top speed is 48 mph (GPS verified), on level ground sitting in normal riding position. My weight is 170 lbs.
Keithm