Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #31
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Oddometer: 1,405
I picked up a 78 Trail 90 a few weeks ago for $75. Needs a LOT of work....but hopefully I'll be able to get it torn down and back up later this summer.

It's gonna be great for hill climbing the gravel knob of 30 acres we call home
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Whatever you say, Socrates.
HiTechRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #32
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
My first bike was the CT90. Top speed was 65 mph downhill and that was, to be kind, inadvisable. 50 was a good flatland speed.

I noticed the 110 has a black rack, is it chrome underneath? I've never seen anything but chrome racks. And my buddy seat was a pillow and a bungee cord. I spent many happy days running that poor little bike pretty much into the dirt, you can kill them, but it takes effort. Oh, and I got 73 miles per gallon...back when gas was .68 a gallon, a buck and a half would run it all week.

I'm waiting for Honda to bring them back over here (unlikely) or one of the Chinese knockoffs to show up. That basic C90/CT90 architecture is one of the most popular small bikes on the planet, in 50cc form (Cub) IIRC it is the most built motorcycle of all time. New CT110's are $3500 in japan. Way more than I am going to spend on one.
My first bike was also a CT90 in 1966. Dad bought it for me after working all one summer at his sawmill. I also used a boat floatation cushion as a passenger seat. Great memories and I can't remember doing much maintenance to that reliable old bike.

I remember the gas tank leaked fuel onto the motor. It caught fire one day as I was driving past a lake so I drove it into the water to put the fire out. It started right back up and I kept driving it with the gas leak. Its amazing I'm still alive today.

They would probably sell pretty good in north America if they were reintroduced here. Their practicality can't be denied if you can get beyond their looks.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #33
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 335

For those in the know, I just inherited a nice 1980 CT 110. Is it just a plug-n-play to put the high-low tranny in?

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #34
BR0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
The 1980 is a funny year. First year with the 110 but for some reason they dropped the hi-lo feature on the transmission. It came back in 1981. Rats!

Rich
BR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #35
southernxmx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
just yesterday i picked up an 01 ct110 off a mate for $100 and it came with 6 months reigstration, bike is fairly mint but signs of a hard life are showing due to lack of basic matinence but the reason i picked it up cheap is cause the motor has locked up and he couldnt be bothered fixing it. got a price off honda for piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, full gasket set and a new barrel (just incase) and it came to $350AU, dead cheap!!!!!
southernxmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #36
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR0
The 1980 is a funny year. First year with the 110 but for some reason they dropped the hi-lo feature on the transmission. It came back in 1981. Rats!

Rich
I have not found a ride where I truely needed the dual transmission.
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #37
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
Great thread, I really love these little bikes. I wonder why 4 wheelers are so insanely popular here in the states but ag bikes are non-existent.
A couple of reasons, a quad will pull a trailer and you can mount sprayers on them. Also, quads are tax deductible on farms/ranches.

However the primary reason is you can ride them drunk and not forget to put your foot down when you stop.
joenuclear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #38
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
If Honda brought them into the U. S. as "agricultural" bikes (assuming there would ever be a demand) they wouldn't have blinkers, etc. to make the DOT happy and would have quad-style lighting--unless Honda intended them to be streeters. Does anyone know if the CT motor would pass current EPA standards?

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #39
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
wow these bikes sound awesome!

I totally want one

maybe this is a dumb question but I wonder if the high pipe has much potential to burn you? I'm looking for an urban scoot for me and my gal. I like the passports too but the ct-90/110 seem more plentiful around these parts.
anyone have both or care to compare?

do many of the new 110 parts match up the the older 90's?

thanks
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #40
muleburger
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ct200

I just bought a 65 CT200 trail 90. I have no manual for it. What is the shift pattern for this bike? Is it a 3 or 4 speed?
muleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleburger
I just bought a 65 CT200 trail 90. I have no manual for it. What is the shift pattern for this bike? Is it a 3 or 4 speed?
That's easy, just like all the other Honda automatic clutched bikes, neutral top, 4 down.

What shape is it in?
YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #42
muleburger
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ct200

It's in great shape, 1300 miles, everything original. The heel shifter is broken , it has a small hole in the exhaust near the end. Kept blowing fuses and when I opened the headlight there was a mouse nest. All the insulation was chewed from the wires. A coupla hours and 2 feet of shrinkwrap and she purrs like new. Bought it at the vintage bike races and swap meet at Mid-Ohio Race Track this past weekend.
muleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #43
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleburger
It's in great shape, 1300 miles, everything original. The heel shifter is broken , it has a small hole in the exhaust near the end. Kept blowing fuses and when I opened the headlight there was a mouse nest. All the insulation was chewed from the wires. A coupla hours and 2 feet of shrinkwrap and she purrs like new. Bought it at the vintage bike races and swap meet at Mid-Ohio Race Track this past weekend.
IIRC that small hole is the bolt hole for the Krizman baffle/spark arrestor, if it's near the bottom.

They are neat bikes, a little down on power from the OHC 90's, but they pull like small tractors.
YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #44
GulfCoast
formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer: 764
My father had a CT110 which we used on our deer lease.

Several years ago, Dad gave the CT to his grandson (my nephew) who never really showed any interest in it.

The CT has been garaged, never wrecked, and has less than 500 miles.

I am going to retrieve the CT and get it running.

Besides a new battery, fuel, oil and tires (and a good cleaning) I don't anticipate many additional needs.

I intend to use the CT as an around town "errand runner".

What is the best source of parts/accessories? I like the front rack on the AU "postie bikes".
GulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #45
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
Hot Deal for ANZACS

Ok, here's the deal -- smuggle a fresh postie in for me, I'll give you its weight in beer. Ok, twice its weight in beer. Ok, twice its weight and my weight in beer.

Dr.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote