User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Saulo OP
Do it.

Oddometer: 115
Should I ship my bike to Singapore?

I may be transferring to Singapore in July. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to register my bike there? Thanks in advance for any input.
Saulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
bikermice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Saulo,

There's lots of red tapes to get around with the local authorities here to get your bike registered. Not worth the hassle if you asked me. Better off to buy a bike here and ride it out the road. Let me know if you are still deciding to shipped your bike over, I will try to gather more info for you. :)
bikermice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Saulo OP
Do it.

Thanks Bikermice, it does seem like a lot of red tape. I will wait to see how much of "paperwork" can be done by my company, if any.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Sixfootbratt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Same thoughts

Hi guys

I am in the same position, coming from the UK to Singapore in a couple of months.

I have just bought the new GS adventure 08 all the toys. Most say that the red tape is a Ba+@% but it is my new toy and quite loath to get rid of it after waiting for so long for it.

Trying to way up the options, mostly around cost for importing, any body know?
Cant seem to find any local sigts to asses the costs to buy a new one there, any help appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
bikermice
Adventurer

Guys, more info about bringing your beloved into Singapore can be found here. Click on the pdf article on "Self import and register a motorcycle/scooter". It's a PITA imho.

Sixfootbratt: You wouldn't believe how much BMW dealer is selling the R1200GS here in Singapore. A whopping USD30,000 estimated. And they are the one and only authorised BMW agent here. Monopoly of trade. It's many Singapore riders dream bike which we could never dream of payment that obscene amount for . Do consider other makes like KTM Adventure which hurts lesss on your pocket
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Saulo OP
Do it.

Bikemice, thanks again. The link spells it out clearly. I think sixfootbratt would pay taxes/fees based on purchase price in UK, which could still cost less than buying another GS here (I am in Singapore this week).

My 08 KLR was only US$5,600. I may just store it there.. relocation decisions...

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...Motorcycle.pdf
Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
bikermice
Adventurer

You are most welcome Saulo, will be glad to be of any help. Let me know if you decide to go bike shopping in Singapore. I can bring you around, it helps to have a local around instead of being ripped off (yes it is common in shops here) once the dealers knows that you know next to nothing in buying a bike in Singapore.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
been there done that

simple fix ship it too malasaya to a freight forwarder and have them clear it threw customs then just ride it across the bridge.

Couple things, the Inner city pass you have to buy is expensive and parking will be an issue all over the island unless you live out near the airport
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Sixfootbratt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Lose lose

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. looks like I am losing 2 000 by selling or having to pay 2 000 for importing mmmm lose lose.

Will just have to decide tif the he red effort is worth it, in order to keep the beast that puts a smile on my face.

Hopefully see you on the road down there soon
Thnaks
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Hi...if you're really need to buy a bike here...just browse around the local bike forums....plenty of variety to choose...try not to buy from bikeshops...buying from private owners is the way to go...see you around..

cheers,
AJ...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Timtiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Singapore biker

Hi there,
I am an Australian based in Singapore and I can add my experiences.

I was posted here 18 months ago and at the time had a 2001 Triumph Tiger in Oz. I could NOT bring it to Singpore as it was greater than 3 years old and Singpore has an import restriction on vehicls older than 3 years. This advice came form the relocation company who oved me. I have been told that it is possible to import older vehicles but they are restricted to use on the road 28 days per year (set up for vintage vehicles). I was told this applied to bikes but this may be incorrect. Import of a newer bike is possible and relatively easy but the local authority (Land Transport Authority) will require the bike to be compliant to local rules and be expected. I would think that any bike that is registerable in the US would be compliant here without any modifications. The process is a little beauracratic but not as bad as it seems. See the link above for the import rules. Lots of ex-pats bring in Harleys and take them home at the end of their posting, so it is possible and done all the time. In summary Singapore is trying to restrict the number of cars and vehicles on the road and they make it hard to get one. They are actually keen to hve ex-pats here and provide systems to get what you want, it just may be a little painful - nd cost some money. They run on the theory that ex-pats have money or their company coughs up for such costs.

In terms of costs, small Bikes are cheap, big bikes are expensive and cars are very very expensive. As examples, a Vespa scooter that costs AUD$6,000 in Australia is about the same price here. A BMW R1200GS that costs AUD$29,000 in OZ is about AUD$43,000 here and a new Mini Cooper car that costs AUD$49,000 is about $140,000 here!! The cost differences are for 2 reasons. They tax new imported vehicles a lot (aroubd 200%) and they have a document called a Certificate of Entitlement (COE) that you have to buy to get a vehicle on the road. This document belongs to the vehicle and is timed to last 10 years. COEs vary in price as they are actioned every 2 weeks and there is a limit to the number available each year. The idea is to restrict the number of registrations and therefore cars on the road. More demand for registrations and the COE price jumps. It also encourages cars and bikes to be scrapped before they are 10 years old.
The last listed COE costs are
Cars < 1600cc SGD$17,000
cars>1600cc SGD$19,500
Motorbikes CGD$1,012
BUT car COE costs have been around SGD$40,000!
If you pay $140,000 for a mini, it may have cost you $20,000 just for the COE and in 6 years time you vehicle is woth $5,000. Who wants an old mini with no status and 4 years left on the self-destruct timer. It sounds like a good idea when you are stuck in traffic but it really means that affluent can afford any car they want and less well off people catch the bus.

You should be aware of the downsides of motorcycling here. The drivers here have a long and detailed training and testing system they have to go through to get a license - and when they actully get a license they forget all that and drive like brainless, blind and arrogant knuckleheads. They are also unable to use mirrors or indicators for some strange reason. I think it has to do with the local concept of Kiasu that translates to "always must win". This means that a guy with a vehicle of a higher status beats you on the road. In fact they feel duty bound to prove their status and dominance by cutting you off and ignoring you. I have been cut off by an S class Mercedes that moves left 3 lanes and cut me off onto the footpath - as in tried to kill me (and my wife was on the back) and then moved back 3 lanes and turned right!! I think it was to make him feel better that he had to pay $400,000 for a car that costs $100,000 elsewhere.

When I moved to Singapore I could not bring my Tiger so I sold it and mistakenly decided to be financially responsible and bought a 200cc Vespa locally. It was cheap and good for going to the shops but was dangerous. I blew up the transmission and got serious cut off and generally ssaulted on the road every day. I gave up and gave in and looked for big bike. I like the big trail bike/adventure style. The local Triumph dealer sells many brands and the service and mechnical support is hopeless. Tiger off the list. The BMW dealer sells cars as well as the bike and can sell as many cars as they can import. Their care factor for the bike business is very low. When I moved here I had a BMW bluetooth helmet (with BMW international warranty) that failed. They told me to get lost and they don't sell or support BMW helmets and did not care about any poxy international warranty. Having said that, there are quite few BMW bikes on the road here.

So to my choice. A BMW R1200 Adventure cost SGS$45,000 and a KTM 990 Adventure cost SGD$35,000 with panniers and top box, protection bars and all the fruit. Cost is not th most important thing to me. I had BMW GS bikes before and they were the least reliable bikes I have owned and I had poor service from BMW so I was not happy with the dealer in Sigapore. So, KTM it was and I have no regrets. The dealer her is a mom and pop set up but they are committed to the bikes and support off-road and supermotard racing. The KTM is a very hardcore bike that doesn't really like traffic and gets a little hot under the collar if it is not at speed. I use it every day though. AND now to the best bit about Singapore biking - Malaysia. Pop across one of the bridges and it's Heaven. Great roads and if you stay off the highways, very little traffic and no police that matter. There are speed limits and radars but mostly on the main KL highway. The regional roads are scenic and he local police ride 125cc scooters ad have no radios. They know they cn't catch you nd are more likely to wave at you or have a chat about your "superbike" as they call them than worry about you speed. I adore the east coast road up to Kuantan. You can pop up to Thailand for some Pad thai and a snorkle and be back for work on Monday. Makes it all worthwhile.

See here for good motoring information: http://www.onemotoring.com.sg

Timtiger screwed with this post 04-17-2008 at 07:46 PM
Timtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
bikermice
Adventurer

Hi Tim,

Very well details that you have provided and it is almost 99.9% accurate Especially about the Mercedes part, their ego grows alongside with their cars capacity. Welcome to Singapore
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
Timtiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Hi Mouseman

Thanks for the reply. I hope we meet sometime and not under the front wheels of a Merc. What do you ride???
Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
bikermice
Adventurer

No problem tigerman. Screw the mercs and let's go ride I'm on a wee little strom.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
GeoffL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I have to say I've had a different experience of the drivers here - yes, many people say driving is dangerous here but I've found them to be comparable to any of the other big cities I've driven in and MUCH safer than drivers in any other Asian country I've been to (with the possible exception of Japan). Sure, there are some numpties, but in general they're not bad and seem to be more used to bikes than drivers in European countries.

Having said that, once I get on a bicycle I get a completely different and much scarier experience - maybe the bigger the bike you ride the more space they give you. I tend to ride large capacity bikes in a very assertive manner, so people tend to give me plenty of leeway :)
GeoffL is offline   Reply With Quote