User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
2wheelsrule OP
youth survivor

Oddometer: 161
Hyperpro on R1200GS Adv

Klaus was serious about his "5 weeks" delivery. They arrived EXACTLY 5 weeks from my order date. I bet he gets them early, and sits on them just to make a perfect delivery

Order specifics here

They came packaged in a nice plastic crate with setup notes, instructions, stickers, and a hat.

Here's the front with the stocker

Rear with the stocker

Front installed - getting the stocker out is a major bitch, but installing the new one was very easy after I loosened up the preload ring.

Rear installed

I left the adjustments as they were when delivered. As expected, it rides great, big improvement over stock, especially up front. I had Ohlins on my R1100S, which was the last time I purchased aftermarket shocks. They rode like a pogo stick until I dialed in more rebound. Nothing against Ohlins, I just appreciate that the Hyperpros were delivered already adjusted for a reasonable ride.

I still have to check / set the sag & then play with the adjusters just for fun. The ride height seems exactly the same as stock. I'll update if that changes after I get my buddy over to help me check the sag.
Bicycles.... many
2wheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,917
I just installed my Hyperpro's in my 1150gs, finally. Haven't ridden the bike yet since Mother Nature decided to give us an Indian Winter up here in NE Mass this year. Really itchin' to get out there and try them out.

Install was a breeze, everything went in great. The only complaint is the hose on the pre-load adjuster is a bit long. Also, the bracket for the pre-load adjuster I had to counter sink holes for the mounting hardware and sub the allen-head bolts with flush mount bolts because the adjuster knob hose coupler was hitting the supplied bolts. Very basic mod.

Ride height seems a little higher now, but less than 1". The bike no longer "teeter-totters" when on the center stand now, I will have to most like fine tune it to get the sag 100% too.
dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,063
Protect your investment with a $20 shock sock.. it will extend shock seal life and keep it clean.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
2wheelsrule OP
youth survivor

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Protect your investment with a $20 shock sock.. it will extend shock seal life and keep it clean.
I talked to Klaus about that. He claims he hasn't gotten any back with dinged shafts. In any case, I'm going to try and figure out a way to mount the guard off the stock shock. If that doesn't work, I'll go for shock socks.

My first commute to work after install, and it rained on the way home. Figures.
Bicycles.... many
2wheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

You definitely don't want to ride it with the shock shaft fully exposed to road grime and debris. The stock shock cover is very brittle, it doesn't bend well, you may need to heat it with a hair dryer to bend it around the shock.. Mine snapped off and broke.

A shock sock is your easiest option, lots of online sellers, google shock sock.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Mike K.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Great looking shocks there.

When I purchased Wilbers a few years ago from Klaus, he recommended and sold me a shock cover. It worked great and my shocks remained in "like new condition."

I was informed that the dirt and grime could work its way under the seals and thereby increase the risk of a leak down the road.
Mike K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Link please??
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Throttlerocker!
Giddy up go

Oddometer: 132
I made an rear inner fender out of black rubber matting. Make sure you pick the correct thickness for a degree of rigidity. It runs from the wheel well down to the lower mount point area on your shock although it is not attached there. When the suspension works the piece dives between the swingarm and tire. You cut slits and zip tie it to the frame and also caulk it to the upper molded section, the bottom section funnels down in width and just hangs behind your rear shock. The main piece is 250mm wide by 360mm in length. Halfway down it narrows to 205mm due to a cutout on each side. (One for the exhaust and the other for the link arm and it's travel arc.) I also cut 2 pieces that are triangular and long in shape which are for the areas just under the sides of the seat. These get zip tied behind the frame tubing. Together these 3 sections will keep 90% of the rear wheel water off you, your passenger and your shock. It won't even look out of place either. Hint:I used cardboard for templates to obtain the exact size I needed.

Throttlerocker! screwed with this post 03-30-2008 at 04:00 PM
Throttlerocker! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrule
I talked to Klaus about that. He claims he hasn't gotten any back with dinged shafts. In any case, I'm going to try and figure out a way to mount the guard off the stock shock. If that doesn't work, I'll go for shock socks.

My first commute to work after install, and it rained on the way home. Figures.
I've used the stock guard on several R1200GS shock replacements, Ohlins and Wilburs, and it works just fine.

In practice the dirt and grime hitting the shock with the factory cover is minimal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBryer
Link please??
$10 on ebay

http://stores.ebay.ca/Bad-Horsie-RC-Shock-Covers

sold at ATV shops too.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I had mine installed by Klaus about a week ago.
Since I live only about an hour away I decided to ride down to his place and install it together (he has a cool little place with quite a selection of different bikes ).
Installation was pretty straight forward and after measuring with Hyper Pro's the bike was about 1/4 of inch higher (compensated by moving the seat back to lower position).
The shocks felt a big improvement straight from factory. I didn't have the time to dial them in yet (other than rear pre load) but yesterday I was out for a good ride and the bike feels so much more solid and responsive.
As for dirt protection, Klause was very confident in saying that as long as I do most riding on the road with no extreme off roading than the shocks needs no protection at all. He mentioned that due to the carbon nitride coating he doesn't think I should experience any dirt related problems and so far he hasn't got any complaints from other costumers. I think I will take his word for it, he's the one offering a 5 year warranty after all.

hipnotik is online now   Reply With Quote